Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vidock diy thunderbolt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2012 10:00:17 PM

Has anyone tried this? I am thinking of buying both products but would like to be assured that they are actually compatible.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 11:05:23 PM

The problem with this is the the express card slot has only around the same band width as around a single PCIE lane and then you add in an extra converter to change the Express card to thunderbolt which will slow it down again and I think it will just throttle even a very low end graphics card anyway. Wait for a thunder bolt one it will have a reasonable band width.
Score
January 24, 2012 12:42:39 AM

From calling and emailing these are some things I found out so far:

They say PCIe 4x is similar to the thunderbolt bandwidth. But no one knows the power on how much a thunderbolt can really handle, no one has been able to test this yet not even them, the only thing they recently received for testing is the adapter for thunderbolt. Had talked to a technician from a distribution of Sonnet Technologies.

pre-orders have started and shipments going to happen in Q2/3 as stated by village instruments.

Vi-dock was stating considerable boosts in performance with thunderbolt found on their forums: https://www.facebook.com/VillageViDock?sk=wall

Score
January 31, 2012 6:26:33 AM

andrewbaker said:
From calling and emailing these are some things I found out so far:

They say PCIe 4x is similar to the thunderbolt bandwidth. But no one knows the power on how much a thunderbolt can really handle, no one has been able to test this yet not even them, the only thing they recently received for testing is the adapter for thunderbolt. Had talked to a technician from a distribution of Sonnet Technologies.

pre-orders have started and shipments going to happen in Q2/3 as stated by village instruments.

Vi-dock was stating considerable boosts in performance with thunderbolt found on their forums: https://www.facebook.com/VillageViDock?sk=wall

Do you mean the vidock thunderbolt or the sonnet express card adapter? also I did some research Sonnet has a pcie adapter as well for thunderbolt.
Score

Best solution

February 26, 2012 12:35:02 PM

Hey guys. I would just like to say that I have tested the Sonnet Echo with Vidock 4plus with my 2011 macbook pro 13inch and it works great :D . The card I'm using is a gtx 560. I will be putting up a tutorial soon.
March 4, 2012 8:48:47 AM

EpicBlob said:
Hey guys. I would just like to say that I have tested the Sonnet Echo with Vidock 4plus with my 2011 macbook pro 13inch and it works great :D . The card I'm using is a gtx 560. I will be putting up a tutorial soon.

This is great news for all 13 inch macbook users because this means that we can actually game on these macbooks! Thanks for the news EpicBlob! :D 
Score
March 4, 2012 8:48:57 AM

Best answer selected by Miguelp35.
Score
!