Brown artifacts in games and videos

thesacredsoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello,
6330938791_7fcfa93c2b_b.jpg

70s.png

367.png

Those brown artifacts appearing... They appear for everything. Videos and games and even youtube videos. Just did a clean install of Windows on my PC. Never had this issue before. Tried 2 different drivers. Same problem. I am on ATI HD 5850. Any idea what's causing the artifacts? Both my CPU and GPU is not overclocked and running at stock speeds. Running i7 920 and 6gb of ram. I also remember I used to have this problem before but it somehow fixed itself or something. Can't remember what I exactly did but I am certain I have faced this issue before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thesacredsoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
It's a coolermaster 1000W or higher PSU if I am not wrong. Refresh rate is at 60 and resolution is 1920x1200 on a Samsung 24-inch monitor. I thought it was a dying gpu too when I first got it on my previous installation but somehow got it fixed. Got it again after a fresh install of Windows. On 64-bit Windows 7 by the way. And thanks for the reply :)

I do not see artifacts of the traditional nature on that image. do you have a picture that shows it off real good?

I remember a friend's monitor shows all blacks as bright green. all other colors looked fine. so in some cases the green would look like an artifact, but it was in fact the screen.

Do you have an alternative screen to try by any chance?

look at theses and see if any of them look like yours

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

thesacredsoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I now see what you are seeing from your phone pics...

When you view the screen caps? do you have that brown colored spots?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6049/6331808926_8ea8cf5f15_b.jpg

If you do, i want you to try to open the image in paint and copy and paste those spots....see if the brown goes with it?

This is kind of looking like a screen issue. Could be a color setting issue too.

EDIT

I have never used Procaster, so i can not commend on those results, but if the colors are messed when you view the screen capture, but not on your Mac, then chances are the screen is to blame, but it could be the cable or even the card(less likely, but not impossible.) as well. If you have more then one input on the screen(VGA, DVI, HDMI) i would try that for the hell of it. maybe its just a cable issue or even a connector on the card/screen.

thesacredsoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Yep, tried cropping the spots out and pasting it in a new paint doc. They still appear in the same places. I am gonna get a DVI to VGA adapter tomorrow to connect my PC to my laptop and see if there's any issue. If there's no issue, the display must be the one at fault. Thank you for taking your time to troubleshoot this for me. :)

thesacredsoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

I played the MW3 campaign for the first time and the brown specks are hardly there! They are there during dark corners but they are small and not too obvious. It's only really prominent in the menu screen.

If it is a screen issue. increasing in game gamma or brightness may make it go away(then again it may make it even worse in some areas) since the screen will not be trying to display darker colors. Downside, it looks like crap(relatively speaking)...

Hey....you have a Mac right?(the one you procasted too) Can you connect that to your screen(DVI out?) to test the screen for sure. They may have different color profiles, but the brown should still be there(may be in slightly different places if there is a color profile in use). Just connect it and view your images you posted here.

thesacredsoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Yea I dont think it will appear again. I had this problem with my previous installation and it disappeared after a while too and didn't appear till I did a clean install. And thank you for all the help! :)

TRENDING THREADS