Ivy Bridge Revision, Sandy Bridge

chickenfoot

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi everyone,

(purpose gaming/recreation)

I was looking for some opinions on my build; mainly what CPU to go for. It is my first build since I was around 12 years old (im in my 20's now, career out of college so discretionary!). I already ordered most of the components for the computer.

Corsair Carbide 500R (case)
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
MSI GTX 560ti 448 (1)
8 gb corsair DDR3
Cooler master rs800 (800W)
64 gb SSD

My goal with the computer was to future proof it to an extent. Even though Ivy Bridge is coming out in a few days/weeks, I was wondering if I should get a 2500k instead of the equivilant Ivy. The draw of the Ivy bridge however is that it can run the PCIe 3.0; and any graphics cards that will be able to use it.

From what I've read, given the heat generation and currently limited benefit of the Ivy bridge, would it be more cost effective to buy a 2500k. Then run my system till the graphics card and processor start to get reasonably outdated, then get a revised (im not sure how often intel revises their CPU's?) Ivy bridge and a PCIe 3.0 graphics card? (I realize I can run another GTX 448 as well). Thanks!

BTW: I play games like starcraft 2/Sup Com 1/ Sins of a solar empire/ Command and conqueor (Mass effect + Battlefield on my XBOX). My current computer gets between 1-10 fps on starcraft on lowest settings with everything disabled on lowest resolution and... well...its time for an upgrade.