Ipconfig = "Media Disconnected" Message

NewbieCat

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
Hi, I'm having trouble connecting to the internet.
I run the Ipconfig comand and get "Media Disconnected" message. Can somone please help me connect it or fix it.
I have Comcast cable and a Linksys Router (Not wireless) I have two computers hooked two the router, internet works fine on one but I cannot connect on the 2nd computer.
Please help.
Thank You

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
it means there is no wire plugged into the network card or there is nothing on the other end of the cable.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

NewbieCat

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
I checked the cable, It also says network cable unplugged, but it is plugged in to the card. I even unplugged it and brought it to the other computer and it works fine on the other computer. So the cable is good.
Anymore suggestions, or is this just one of those things that nobody can figure out.
Thank you
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by newbiecat on 06/10/05 01:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Try another port on the router's switch. Make sure you get a link light on the network card.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

NewbieCat

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
Ok here's an update. I had two cables hooked into an inline coupler to make up a 50 ft cable. This didn't work. When I remove the coupler and hook up one cable to the computer it works fine.
Both cables work good as long as its one cable.
The problem is I need a long cable, to reach my second computer.
So I made my own coupler and used two cables. It still works but the internet slows way down.
When i hook up 1 cable its fast again.
So I am going to try and buy one 50Ft cable and see if that works. Ill let you know if it works so I can close this post.
Thank you

NewbieCat

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
Well, the one long Cable doesn't work. For some reason it has to do with the length of the cable. If I hook up a cable that is 10ft shorter it works fine.
The funny thing is that on my other computer the long cable works fine and does not slow down.
When I use two shorter cables totaling about 40 ft, with a coupler it seems to work but the internet is slow.
I am going to hook it this way for now until I can figure out why it slows down. Maybe it is a windows setting since it works fine on my other computer and is fast.
They are all cat 5e cables and have been cable tested.
If you have any ideas please let me know.
Thank You

riser

Illustrious
The longer the cable, the further the data has to travel, thus the slowdown.

What kind of NIC are you using?

How are you routing the long cable? EMI could be a problem.. which means if you run that cable by electrical things that produce a strong magnetic field, you could have problems.

You are connecting from a switch to a PC and not PC to PC using some form of internet connection sharing?

You're better off going to a computer shop and having them make you a cable instead of buying from a store. They're insanely priced in a store.

The last I knew it was a range from 7 to 25 cents a foot at computer shops, plus 50 cents to 1 dollars for the RJ45 connectors.
They shouldn't charge you more than 15 dollars for the cable.

You can even buy 250 feet of bulk cable at a computer store (CompUSA, etc.) for about 40 dollars. That is, if you know how to make your own cables. Or take it to a computer shop and have someone there put ends on.