Windows Licence

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I've noticed that in a lot of systems being sold over the net and in free ads, that they come with 'X' version of windows (and office) PER-INSTALLED.

I was wondering if there was some sort of loop-hole that allows people to do this or is it illegal? Is it possible to sell OEM versions on multiple machines? How about if your a computer business owner? Does it differ in different countires i.e. U.K and U.S.A

Any information on this subject would be appeciated
Thanks in advance.

<font color=purple> "After great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"</font color=purple>

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I would assume it works the same way as selling all the other OEM OS's. You pay for the OS and they install it for you, but don't give you a disk. I believe MS gives them a lisence for X number of installs and each one has a different reg number. I never understood why anyone would buy a computer without a Windows disk.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
thats about right, however each system MUST have a valid license, this used to come on the windows manual, since we now no windows cd's, its often on a sticker on the back of the b.u. open my computer, click help, then click "is this copy of windows legal" it will take you to a page on microsofts site which explains this better.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers