Good sound card makes bad headphones better?

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
So I am wondering if I bought a 5.1 surround sound audio card but stuck with crappy apple headphones, would the 5.1 carry o the headphones or do I need nicer headphones first? I am basically stuck between buying some ok~ headphones and a decent sound card or just buying a nice headset (for gaming) for sub $100. Thanks in advance!

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Your onboard sound card is more than fine. Better spend the money on some decent headphones. I'm pretty sure that even spending money on some decent headphones, it will still not match the quality of the onboard sound. So don't worry about the onboard sound, look for some reviews for the good headphones.

animal

Distinguished
I agree, onboard sound will be fine, invest your money in a the best headphones you can afford. Just as with stereo equipment, good speakers make a so-so receiver sound great. A great receiver used with crappy (cheap) speakers sounds like.....well, you get the idea.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thank you all very muh :D so now I'm just stuck between 3 headsets. I can either get the 1500's as amuffin posted, or I was looking at the tritton pc510's or logitech g35's.

Tritton pc510: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W7PHVO/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1334925199&sr=8-1

G35: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001O5CCQK/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1334925264&sr=8-1

The only problem I have with the g35 is the price. It is really pushing the budget and I guess I am wondering, is it really worth the extra money versus the pc510's or the 1500?

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Thanks for that! I went to fry's and they were nice enough to let me try on a pair of 1500's and they were too tight ffor my head :/ My friend has a pair of tritton ax pro's which are supposed to be almost the same (if not worse) as the pc150's. I tried those on and the audio quality and comfort were both fantastic. I didn't get a chance to test the audio of the 1500's though, so I can't compare them in that regard, but I will search around more before I make a final decision. Thanks again for that link!

Sennheiser PC360 if you want a built in mike. With a decent soundcard, blows most non-audiophile headsets out of the water. Better solution would be a audiophile headset (Sennheiser HD598 would be an attractive cheap option) paired with a clip on mic.

The Tritton Pro's were "ok" at best, but not really geared toward non-gaming. Plus they lasted three months before they broke on me; not very durable. The G35 offered a good virtual surround solution for gamers, but overall audio quality stank. My old Xonar Xense + PC350 blew both out of the water, and my current Xense + DT770 combo blew that config away.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Those are both a little more than $100 over budget...

sk1939

Distinguished

Take a look at the Sennheiser HD280 or AKG K240 Studio, both are around $100, and perform quite well. The you can just add a mic as suggested by another poster.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I looked at the 280's and they look pretty awesome. Only thing is that I would really like the 7.1 surround sound that the gamecom 780's offer. As far as general sound quality goes, I have a feeling the 280's are probably better. Now I am stuck deciding between these two headsets :p My friend has the K240 and when I wear them, they get uncomfortably tight after about 1 1/2 hours of use.

sk1939

Distinguished
The problem with 7.1 headphones is they aren't like 7.1 speakers. The imaging and depth of field you get isn't there with speakers due to the placement of the drivers. There's also the sound quality consideration as how good can they sound if they have at least 4 drivers in the space or 1 decent quality one?

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I see your point there, and I think I have decided on the 780's due to the amazing reviews and thir general awesomeness