Sign in with
Your question

All fans start up but no beeps and never boots

Last response: in Motherboards
February 28, 2013 11:55:34 PM

I've had my motherboard since Sept 2010 (ASUS P6X58D-E). Self built and flawlessly running since then, with no issues what so ever. About 2 weeks ago my computer would randomly and instantly lose power (like the electricity went out). I figured my PSU or motherboard was on the fritz but it would boot up right away with no other issues and it would go 2-3 days without randomly shutting off. Well yesterday I shut it down at midnight and woke at 8. I went to turn on my computer and all the fans spin, the lights are on, but I get no beeps and no picture.

Now for a list of things I have troubleshot so far include the following:

-Powered on with just CPU/PSU, results in all fans spinning and no beeps
-Powered on with just CPU/PSU/RAM, same result
-Bought a multimeter and tested every pin on every cable on my PSU, they all checked out
-Bought a new PSU and tested it out, resulted in all fans spinning but no beeps, no video

Finally, since I built the exact same rig for my brother about two weeks apart (mid sept 2010). I decided to drive an hour to his place and swap my components 1 by 1 into his machine.

Results from that include:
-Swapped just my video card into his machine and his machine boots and played games just fine, assume my GFX is still okay
-Swapped my RAM into his machine and his machine boots and runs apps just fine

Unfortunately, I didn't have any thermal paste laying around so I didn't want to swap processors to test that. But I'm out of ideas on what could be the issue.

Full rig
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA1366
i7-950
EVGA GTX 480
TX850 Corsair PSU
10666 Corsair RAM (2x3GB)

Both my build and my brother's build POSTed the very first time and both have ran flawlessly for 2 years. Any help would be appreciated, but if I can't solve the issue shortly then I'm going to get a LGA1155 motherboard and ivy bridge i5 to hold me off.

More about : fans start beeps boots

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 3:57:05 AM

Try starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed. If a case speaker (buzzer) is connected, you should get the beeps signaling that no RAMs are installed.
If no beeps, then you'd know it's either the board or the CPU.
m
l
March 1, 2013 10:54:32 AM

Yeah, that was the first troubleshooting step I performed :( . I guess I'm out of luck regardless because 1366 processors and motherboards aren't really replaceable any more.
m
l
Related resources
!