Disconnect for Harddrive Greyed Out

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think I solved my problem with not being able to burn CD-Rs. (It was the $&^@!##$$!~~!^%^% CompUSA media.) Anyway, one of the suggestions was to make sure both the CD-RW and the harddrives were flagged to allow for disconnect. Well, the CD-RW and the CD-R are both flagged. Both harddrives, however, are grayed out under Control Panel - System - Device Manager - Hard Drive. So, any suggestions for my Dell dimension XPS-T 700r with one Maxtor 10.3 GB HD and one Western Digital 8.4 GB HD (slave). Sorry if this should go to the Hard drive forum. The suggestion came from here.

G

It could be that the hard drives have something in use on them that is not allowing them to be disconnected. If that its the case it is most likely the paging file. You obviously won't be able to disconnect the system drive but should be able to disconnect any others if there is nothing in use on them. I hope that helps.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional

G

What I was getting at is that maybe you can customize your virtual memory settings so that it only uses one of the drives. Also, make sure that you don't have any programs running on the drive you want to disconnect.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional