Sign in with
Your question

Need input on first time PC build & compatible PSU

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2012 6:22:10 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: $550 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming like BF3 and Skyrim

Parts Not Required: Graphics card, Hard disk, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com and ncix.com

Parts Preferences: Intel and good quality PSU

Overclocking:No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Here is what I currently have in mind

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52500

Mobo: MSI PH61A-P35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Memory: Wintec AMPO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model 3AMD31333-4G2K-NHR

Graphics: I plan on upgrading the graphics card from HD 4670 (1 GB) to a high end gaming card in the summer like a 6970, but I can't afford it atm.

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply OR Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Few questions:
1. Which one is the better PSU and is it going to be enough for the system after a possible upgrade to a 6970?
Also, I don't understand the difference between a single 12V rail (+12V@40A) and 3 rails (+12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, +12V3@25A)

2. Is an ATA hard disk compatible with the build and PSU?
It's important because it has the windows installed and I don't plan on purchasing another OS.

3. Are the two fans in the case enough with the stock CPU heat sink and cooler since I don't plan on overclocking?

Cheers
January 8, 2012 6:46:50 AM

slowerthanlight said:
Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Mobo: MSI PH61A-P35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

2. Is an ATA hard disk compatible with the build and PSU?
It's important because it has the windows installed and I don't plan on purchasing another OS.

Cheers

That may not work for you unless you have the same chipset on the new MB as the old system had. You maybe able to reuse your windows install disk but you will need to do a reinstall of windows to make sure the correct MB chipset drivers are available. Otherwise you may make a system that fails to boot.
m
l
January 8, 2012 2:22:35 PM

You don't want either of those power supplies, this is better:
XFX Pro 550W Core Edition 80Plus Bronze $65 ($15 rebate)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...
It is actually more powerful than the two you linked, because the CX600 V2 only has a 40A 12V rail and the BP550P only has 384W combined available on its 12V rails.

What do you mean by ATA? Is it SATA or PATA?
If it is SATA, then yes it is compatible with the build. If it is PATA then you would need some kind of PATA to SATA adapter to be able connect it to the motherboard as that MSI board doesn't have an IDE port.
Current limits on 12V rails are supposed to be a safety feature.

Yes the two fans in that case should be enough if not overclocking.
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2012 4:47:05 PM

Silvune said:
You don't want either of those power supplies, this is better:
XFX Pro 550W Core Edition 80Plus Bronze $65 ($15 rebate)
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...
It is actually more powerful than the two you linked, because the CX600 V2 only has a 40A 12V rail and the BP550P only has 384W combined available on its 12V rails.

What do you mean by ATA? Is it SATA or PATA?
If it is SATA, then yes it is compatible with the build. If it is PATA then you would need some kind of PATA to SATA adapter to be able connect it to the motherboard as that MSI board doesn't have an IDE port.
Current limits on 12V rails are supposed to be a safety feature.

Yes the two fans in that case should be enough if not overclocking.

Thanks for the PSU suggestion. It looks better and more reliable than the two I listed.

Regarding the HDD, I found out it's a Seagate Barracuda 320 GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive, so it looks fine.

joe_newbuilder said:
That may not work for you unless you have the same chipset on the new MB as the old system had. You maybe able to reuse your windows install disk but you will need to do a reinstall of windows to make sure the correct MB chipset drivers are available. Otherwise you may make a system that fails to boot.

I don't think it's the same chipset because the PC was purchased from Dell and the processor is a Core 2 Due E6550. The PC came with a recovery partition, is it possible to reinstall windows on the new motherboard with that recovery partition?
I still have the product key on the case. If Dell's recovery partition didn't allow the reinstallation on a new motherboard, would calling Microsoft support reactiviate windows with a new motherboard?

If all the above fail, and I buy a new version of Windows, does a clean installation delete everything on the HDD?

Thanks again for your help.

m
l
January 8, 2012 5:04:39 PM

Rule of thumb for PSU: Get one that is at least 80 PLUS certified.
m
l
January 8, 2012 7:56:43 PM

If you do a clean install of windows it will not erase the drive as long as you do not format on the reinstall. I really doubt that you can reinstall from the recovery partition as it would only have the drives needed for the mother board it was installed to.

I tried to do the same thing and found it worthwhile to get a new copy windows7 since I only had an XP install disk.

m
l
!