New Card for Gaming

Blorp Kola

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I am looking to get a new graphics card for my computer. It is a Dell p6300uk. It has an AthlonII X2 215 ® 2.7 GHz (65W) and runs off onboard graphics. I would like to get a graphics card for it where I can smoothly run portal, minecraft, Deus Ex :Human Revolutions, and maybe guild wars 2 when it comes out at low settings. I was thinking of getting a 5670, and upgrading my PSU but I'm unsure of wether this would be worth it. My budget for a new graphics card and psu it £70 (pounds). Thanks in advance for any advice

manu 11

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
can you make a build by your own, its easy, if you can, please tell your whole budget.
it will cost lower than the dell one.
an athlon ii x2 is not a gaming cpu, games nowadays are taking adwantage of more than three cores.

Blorp Kola

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
lol I just built a pc this is actually for a mate who doesn't have enough to build a pc. He's perfectly happy to play on lowest settings, just wants a playable fps

mayanksinghsolanki

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Yes 6670 is more than enough for low end gaming.
A couple of months back even I suggested one of my friend to use a ATI 5670 instead of onboard graphics for some moderate gaming.
I would suggest you should go with AMD 6670 1GB.

As you point out in the thread his board is 2.0 so compatibility shouldn't be an issue. If I had to guess he simply got a bad card. It happens.

caqde

Distinguished
If what you linked to is his machine then that is a PCI-E 1.0 slot the chipset is an Nvidia Nforce 4 series chipset (Nforce 430 /w 6150 GPU) that came out in the early PCI-E days so it is 1.0. This will be a huge upgrade for him.

If you have a problem finding out what is on the board seach for information on the chipset instead as that will likely tell you what the motherboard has on it. With the exception of addon chips.

Thanks for confirming that. Began to think i made some mistake and got this guy a non compatible gpu.

@caqde ; I think it says 2.0 ; http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5Q/

Expansion Slots
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot
2 x PCI Express x1 slots
3 x PCI slots

Anyway, i'm stealing the thread here a bit, sorry for that.