Image Resizing

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

Hi,

I am looking for a piece of software that will do the following:

Resize a bunch of jpg files so that their largest edge is 1024. I have a
number of photos from a number of cameras. some were taken on a 4MP
camera, some on a 5MP camera. Some photos are horizontal, some are
vertical.

I want to resize them all so that they are either 1024x768 or 768x1024.
The main reason I want to do this is to make the files smaller so that I
can upload them to a website.

I have looked at a number of programs (most of them found searching for
image resizers on google groups), but can't find any that offer better
than a percentage or fixed resizing.
Also important is to reduce the file size as much as possible, without
losing too much image quality, but some of the ones I have looked at don't
seem to optimize the jpeg too well when re-saving.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,

Ben

PS. If I have to, I will sort out the 4MP/5MP/horizontal/vertical, but I
am still after recommendations for a resizer that will give small file
sizes :)
23 answers Last reply
More about image resizing
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    Thumbs Plus does it easily, but I'm not sure if the trial version will
    do it (www.cerious.com). IrfanView (freeware) can also do it if you
    look around a bit and use the batch conversion function and press a few
    buttons to get to advanced options.

    There are probably many others, but they are the two I use..
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    xnview
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:07:25 +0100, Ben Holness wrote:

    > I am looking for a piece of software that will do the following:
    >
    > Resize a bunch of jpg files so that their largest edge is 1024. I have a
    > number of photos from a number of cameras. some were taken on a 4MP
    > camera, some on a 5MP camera. Some photos are horizontal, some are
    > vertical.
    >
    > I want to resize them all so that they are either 1024x768 or 768x1024.
    > The main reason I want to do this is to make the files smaller so that I
    > can upload them to a website.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated!

    JpegSizer will do all this. It will do vertical and horizontal images in
    the same pass, and give you tight control over both pixel dimensions and
    final file size. It also has options to copy the EXIF data across and to
    add a caption or watermark to each image.

    For web pages, JpegSizer will generate thumbs and full-size images in the
    same pass, and will even generate the HTML wrappers at the same time.

    http://jpegsizer.tangotools.com

    HTH

    Pete
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    IrfanView (3.95) *can* do it, in one pass - you just have to look..
    Under Set Advanced Options in the batch conversion process, look at the
    resize function - it has a 'Set Long Side..' option. I haven't used
    it, but I presume it does what it says!
  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    "Ben Holness" <usenet@bens-house.org.uk> wrote:

    >I am looking for a piece of software that will do the following:
    >
    >Resize a bunch of jpg files so that their largest edge is 1024. I have a
    >number of photos from a number of cameras. some were taken on a 4MP
    >camera, some on a 5MP camera. Some photos are horizontal, some are
    >vertical.
    >
    >I want to resize them all so that they are either 1024x768 or 768x1024.
    >The main reason I want to do this is to make the files smaller so that I
    >can upload them to a website.

    I used to use Easy Thumbnails for that. It is great, because it lets
    you sharpen or change other quality attributes of the thumbnails
    (which can be any size) automatically. Google for it.

    Larry

  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    "Ben Holness" <usenet@bens-house.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a piece of software that will do the following:
    >
    > Resize a bunch of jpg files so that their largest edge is 1024. I have a
    > number of photos from a number of cameras. some were taken on a 4MP
    > camera, some on a 5MP camera. Some photos are horizontal, some are
    > vertical.
    >
    > I want to resize them all so that they are either 1024x768 or 768x1024.
    > The main reason I want to do this is to make the files smaller so that I
    > can upload them to a website.
    >
    > I have looked at a number of programs (most of them found searching for
    > image resizers on google groups), but can't find any that offer better
    > than a percentage or fixed resizing.
    > Also important is to reduce the file size as much as possible, without
    > losing too much image quality, but some of the ones I have looked at don't
    > seem to optimize the jpeg too well when re-saving.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > PS. If I have to, I will sort out the 4MP/5MP/horizontal/vertical, but I
    > am still after recommendations for a resizer that will give small file
    > sizes :)

    Many people forget that Windows XP will do this singly or in batch for jpeg
    files. Use file manager (Explorer), highlight the files you want to
    downsize, right-hand click, use "send to - email recipient", click on
    "options", select file size. Assuming you have a default email program set
    up, a new email message will pop-up after the conversion process is
    complete, with the reduced-size jpegs as file attachments. You can just
    send those as email, or save the attachments wherever.

    This may seem timeconsuming, but actually is quick since you don't have to
    load alternative program and set the options. Depends on how often you have
    to do it.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    chrlz@go.com wrote:

    > IrfanView (3.95) *can* do it, in one pass - you just have to look..
    > Under Set Advanced Options in the batch conversion process, look at the
    > resize function - it has a 'Set Long Side..' option. I haven't used
    > it, but I presume it does what it says!

    Irfan works great. St size to 1024x1024. There's a bit of a learning
    curve but it's super slick once you get the hang of it.

    click a pick

    type "B" for batch

    add all

    use this folder for output (create a subfolder)

    set jpeg quality in file save options

    advanced button

    save & load settings for main & thumbnails for consistency

    brighten a bit (reductions tend to darken

    sharpen

    nothing is faster

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    2005-05-10, Ben Holness wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a piece of software that will do the following:
    >
    > Resize a bunch of jpg files so that their largest edge is 1024. I have a
    > number of photos from a number of cameras. some were taken on a 4MP
    > camera, some on a 5MP camera. Some photos are horizontal, some are
    > vertical.

    Which OS? The program "mogrify" (part of ImageMagick) can do this. I use
    it under Linux to resize pictures like that (largest edge a certain
    value).

    -peter
  9. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    Ben Holness wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a piece of software that will do the following:
    >
    > Resize a bunch of jpg files so that their largest edge is 1024. I
    > have a number of photos from a number of cameras. some were taken on
    > a 4MP camera, some on a 5MP camera. Some photos are horizontal, some
    > are vertical.
    >
    > I want to resize them all so that they are either 1024x768 or
    > 768x1024. The main reason I want to do this is to make the files
    > smaller so that I can upload them to a website.
    >
    > I have looked at a number of programs (most of them found searching
    > for image resizers on google groups), but can't find any that offer
    > better than a percentage or fixed resizing.
    > Also important is to reduce the file size as much as possible, without
    > losing too much image quality, but some of the ones I have looked at
    > don't seem to optimize the jpeg too well when re-saving.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > PS. If I have to, I will sort out the 4MP/5MP/horizontal/vertical,
    > but I am still after recommendations for a resizer that will give
    > small file sizes :)

    Irfanview is a good one. I quite like this one too
    http://www.mihov.com/eng/ir.html
    I think 1024x768 is a bit too big for web pages and your images would take
    up a whole page with the possible addition of scrollbars which may aggravate
    many people. Unless they have to be that size for screen wallpapers or for
    a photographic website you really would be better off making them alot
    smaller than that.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    Hi!

    I would remember to resize copies not the originals...!

    Also: If you need the EXIF-information embedded into the image-files check
    if the resizing-tool you are going to use keeps the EXIF-data intact.

    regards

    "dim" <krznaric@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > xnview

  11. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    On 10 May 2005 02:31:41 -0700, chrlz@go.com wrote:

    >IrfanView (freeware) can also do it if you
    >look around a bit and use the batch conversion function and press a few
    >buttons to get to advanced options.

    I don't think IrfanView can do it, but an easy workaround would
    be to quickly separate the portrait from the landscape pictures
    by hand (easy in thumbnail view), then use IrfanView's batch
    process twice.

    Not perfectly sure, haven't actually done it that way.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:59:09 +0100, "Beck"
    <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote:

    >Ben Holness wrote:

    >> Resize a bunch of jpg files so that their largest edge is 1024.

    >> I want to resize them all so that they are either 1024x768 or
    >> 768x1024. The main reason I want to do this is to make the files
    >> smaller so that I can upload them to a website.

    >I think 1024x768 is a bit too big for web pages and your images would take
    >up a whole page with the possible addition of scrollbars which may aggravate
    >many people. Unless they have to be that size for screen wallpapers or for
    >a photographic website you really would be better off making them alot
    >smaller than that.

    I agree. On my web pages (example: www.michna.com/kenya2004/) I
    have only small pictures, 100 pixels wide, that load quickly,
    and if a reader clicks on one, he gets an 800 pixel picture (800
    x 600 or 600 x 800). If anybody wants a larger resolution, he
    can ask for it by email.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    On 10 May 2005 05:13:07 -0700, chrlz@go.com wrote:

    >IrfanView (3.95) *can* do it, in one pass - you just have to look..
    >Under Set Advanced Options in the batch conversion process, look at the
    >resize function - it has a 'Set Long Side..' option. I haven't used
    >it, but I presume it does what it says!

    I used the previous version and it could do it as well .. one has to
    look slightly further than a nose length ..
  14. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    On 10 May 2005 05:13:07 -0700, chrlz@go.com wrote:

    >IrfanView (3.95) *can* do it, in one pass - you just have to look..
    >Under Set Advanced Options in the batch conversion process, look at the
    >resize function - it has a 'Set Long Side..' option. I haven't used
    >it, but I presume it does what it says!

    Ah, great! Thanks for this info.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:07:25 +0100, "Ben Holness"
    <usenet@bens-house.org.uk> wrote :

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking for a piece of software that will do the following:
    >
    >Resize a bunch of jpg files so that their largest edge is 1024. I have a
    >number of photos from a number of cameras. some were taken on a 4MP
    >camera, some on a 5MP camera. Some photos are horizontal, some are
    >vertical.
    >
    >I want to resize them all so that they are either 1024x768 or 768x1024.
    >The main reason I want to do this is to make the files smaller so that I
    >can upload them to a website.

    Microsoft have an Image Resizer Power Toy on their web site.
    It's free and it works, but I think it's now only for XP.
    You can resize into a new file or resize the original, and do multiple
    files all at once.
    It does 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and some smaller sizes for
    handhelds.
    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins

    Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    > On 10 May 2005 02:31:41 -0700, chrlz@go.com wrote:
    >

    >>IrfanView (freeware) can also do it if you
    >>look around a bit and use the batch conversion function and press a few
    >>buttons to get to advanced options.
    >

    > I don't think IrfanView can do it,

    It certainly can.

    Under "Set advanced options" in the Batch dialog, set both X and Y
    resize to 1024, and make sure "Preserve aspect ratio" is checked.
    Images will be resized so the longest side is constrained to 1024.

    There are also separate "Set long side to:" and "Set short side to:"
    options that can be used separately or together.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0519-1, 05/10/2005
    Tested on: 5/10/2005 5:21:18 PM
  17. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    chrlz@go.com wrote:

    > IrfanView (3.95) *can* do it, in one pass - you just have to look..
    > Under Set Advanced Options in the batch conversion process, look at the
    > resize function - it has a 'Set Long Side..' option. I haven't used
    > it, but I presume it does what it says!

    It does, but you can also use the regular resize, set X and Y both to
    the max size you want, and ensure the "Preserve aspect ratio" box is
    checked.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0519-1, 05/10/2005
    Tested on: 5/10/2005 5:22:37 PM
  18. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    Churchill, Dave wrote:

    > "Ben Holness" <usenet@bens-house.org.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am looking for a piece of software that will do the following:
    >>
    >>Resize a bunch of jpg files so that their largest edge is 1024. I have a
    >>number of photos from a number of cameras. some were taken on a 4MP
    >>camera, some on a 5MP camera. Some photos are horizontal, some are
    >>vertical.
    >>
    >>I want to resize them all so that they are either 1024x768 or 768x1024.
    >>The main reason I want to do this is to make the files smaller so that I
    >>can upload them to a website.
    >>
    >>I have looked at a number of programs (most of them found searching for
    >>image resizers on google groups), but can't find any that offer better
    >>than a percentage or fixed resizing.
    >>Also important is to reduce the file size as much as possible, without
    >>losing too much image quality, but some of the ones I have looked at don't
    >>seem to optimize the jpeg too well when re-saving.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions appreciated!
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Ben
    >>
    >>PS. If I have to, I will sort out the 4MP/5MP/horizontal/vertical, but I
    >>am still after recommendations for a resizer that will give small file
    >>sizes :)
    >>

    > Many people forget that Windows XP will do this singly or in batch for jpeg
    > files. Use file manager (Explorer), highlight the files you want to
    > downsize, right-hand click, use "send to - email recipient", click on
    > "options", select file size. Assuming you have a default email program set
    > up, a new email message will pop-up after the conversion process is
    > complete, with the reduced-size jpegs as file attachments. You can just
    > send those as email, or save the attachments wherever.
    >
    > This may seem timeconsuming, but actually is quick since you don't have to
    > load alternative program and set the options. Depends on how often you have
    > to do it.

    You still have to wait for the mail program to load and create a new
    message with the attachments, once the wizard is done. Irfanview loads
    faster than any other program I've got :)

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0519-1, 05/10/2005
    Tested on: 5/10/2005 5:24:56 PM
  19. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    > I want to resize them all so that they are either 1024x768 or 768x1024.
    > The main reason I want to do this is to make the files smaller so that I
    > can upload them to a website.

    Try the excellent and free Jalbum from:

    http://www.jalbum.net/

    Theres a wide variety of different web album types and an active community
    working on new improved ways of displaying photos. You can set the size of
    the resized image exactly as you want and the JPEG quality factor used to
    generate the resized images is also under your control. The most popular
    skins right now are probably BluPlusPlus and ExhibitPlus

    Scott
  20. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 05:13:07 -0700, chrl wrote:

    > IrfanView (3.95) *can* do it, in one pass - you just have to look..
    > Under Set Advanced Options in the batch conversion process, look at the
    > resize function - it has a 'Set Long Side..' option. I haven't used
    > it, but I presume it does what it says!

    Hi all,

    Thanks for all the answers - IrfanView does exactly what I want :)

    Cheers,

    Ben
  21. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    > I think 1024x768 is a bit too big for web pages and your images would take
    > up a whole page with the possible addition of scrollbars which may aggravate
    > many people. Unless they have to be that size for screen wallpapers or for
    > a photographic website you really would be better off making them alot
    > smaller than that.

    I agree with you - however I will be putting them all up as one big zip
    file for people to download, so not worried about viewing in the browser
    :)

    13Mb is a better download size than 400Mb ;)

    Cheers,

    Ben
  22. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    Ben Holness wrote:

    > I agree with you - however I will be putting them all up as one big
    > zip file for people to download, so not worried about viewing in the
    > browser :)
    >
    > 13Mb is a better download size than 400Mb ;)

    In that case, yes I do agree :-)
  23. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    "Ben Holness" <usenet@bens-house.org.uk> writes:

    > I agree with you - however I will be putting them all up as one big zip
    > file for people to download, so not worried about viewing in the browser
    > :)

    If I had known you would eventually put it in a zip file I would have
    pointed you toward my software earlier:

    http://img.ourdoings.com/windows.html

    Just change do.bat substituting the total number of pixels you want for
    the 307201 in there. (That gives you 640x480 or 480x640).

    I do it to make one big upload; you do it to make one big download.

Cameras