Sign in with
Your question

Accelero S1 Rev.2 VGA VR001 kit necessary?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2011 6:40:14 PM

I am thinking about buy the Accelero S1 Rev.2 VGA Cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It doesn't come with the VR001 kit and I don't see any place to buy it except the Arctic Cooling website which I don't want to do because of the shipping cost and time.

It says on their website that you need the kit for a Radeon HD 6870 or 6850. I have a 6870 and I'm wondering if it's really necessary to buy the kit:

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/accessories/114/vr001.html?L=...

I've read reviews with people saying the heatsinks fall off. It attaches with adhesive so the I'm wondering if it really adds any cooling to the card. I'd like to add a fan to the cooler without the VR001 kit. Seeing how I can't buy the Accelero S1 PLUS anywhere, this is my only option.

Does anyone have this cooler without the VR001 kit?
November 10, 2011 6:44:24 PM

I would also like to mention that newegg has the Accelero TWIN TURBO Pro. It has fans and I don't know how quiet they really are. My build is silent and I'd like to keep it that way by adding my own fan that I know will be quiet.

I also don't understand their technical specs. It says that the cooler has a cooling capacity of 120W. Yet the Radeon 6870 uses more than 120W.

I'm also wondering about the video card fan connection. Does anyone know if a 3 pin fan can be connected to the video card and be able to control the speed through software?
m
l
December 31, 2011 8:16:37 PM

Hey there Assasingreed,

I'm new on here and realized this is a month old, but it doesn't look like you got a reply. So I'll do my best to help and hope you still need advice, or that it'll help someone in the future.

1. I was also worried about the VR001 kit not coming with it, but it does in fact include a set of ram / vrm heatsinks.

2. It may not be necessary to buy the extra kit due to the above, unless it doesn't have enough sinks to cover a 68xx. It comes with 8 RAM sinks and 4 VRM sinks. Also, a quick google search uncovered this, which shouldgive you some confidence in your choices.

http://www.overclock.net/t/850451/6800-series-aftermark...

3. The heatsinks attach fine as long as you follow their directions!! You MUST rub the components with an eraser first, if I remember correctly it removes an unnoticeable film that impedes the adhesive. Wash with alcohol and give it a blast from the ol' compressed air and you're ready to stick them on. Keeping pressure on them for 30sec is recommended.

4. Concerning their technical specs, well, it can handle cards up to 120W passively, past that it requires the aid of a fan as indicated by the * on their compatibility list.

5. You may be interested in SPCR they have a lot of info on quiet computing. Best resource on the web as far as that is concerned. By their standards the Twin Turbo isn't as quiet as it should be. They'd say stick a 120mm 800rpm Scythe fan on there (zip tied). For a PWM option you could go with a arctic cooling F12- it is possible to use a 4 pin fan with a graphics card for PWM control using either MSI Afterburner or SpeedFan, the process could or could not be so simple depending on how they wired it. 3 pin will have to be voltage controlled, which is more hit and miss concerning software control. Undervolting would probably be a simpler option. Fanmate 2 or something like that.

Sorry for the (probably) useless wall of text, I hope it's helpful to someone.
m
l
!