Sign in with
Your question

Amd 965 be vs i3 2100 only in gaming

Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2012 3:03:01 PM

i have come up to upgrade my cpu i would like to ask the community to get amd 965 be or i3 2100 please help
only for gaming use
thanks in advance

More about : amd 965 2100 gaming

a b à CPUs
April 20, 2012 3:26:25 PM

i3 is faster in almost any game.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2012 3:46:39 PM

i3 faster in gaming but if you get into high multiplayer situations, I.E. BF3, the extra cores of the 965 most definitely would help.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2012 4:03:47 PM

Like oh you know said, multiplayer are more CPU intensive than single player games, as far as single player goes the 965 benches close enough to the i3 that its almost an injustice to say its "Better" than the 965. Example: 55 FPS vs 60 has absolutely zero noticeable difference. And anything over 60FPS exceeds the frame rate limitations of a typical LCD monitor.

The 965 is a quad core CPU, an i3 is a dual core that pretends to have 4 cores. While it works nicely in some circumstances, it really isn't the same as 4 physical cores. There are already a couple games on the market that even in single player will call more than 2 cores into play, expect this to continue as time goes by.

Also, the 965 is overclockable, the i3 isn't.
m
l
April 21, 2012 8:50:59 AM

but i3 has only 2 cores and 965 has 4 will it be helpful in future and for now
and thanks for all replies
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 119 À AMD
April 21, 2012 9:20:42 AM

The vast majority of games still only use 2 cores. However, even with a game that can make use of 4 core, the Core i3-2100 actually does pretty well. Mafia II is a game that can make use of 4 cores. The below benchmark does not include a PII X4 965 only the X4 955, but the Core i3 still does pretty well.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-21...

Going with a Core i3 now has a better upgrade path in the future. Buying a Core i3 now with a Z68 or Z77 motherboard will allow you in the future to upgrade to Sandy Bridge or the soon to be released Ivy Bridge CPUs. I only expect a small CPU processing improvement in Ivy Bridge compared to Sandy Bridge; 6% at most on average. The main performance increase will be with the integrated Intel HD 2500 and HD 4000 graphic cores.

Going with the Phenom II X4 965 now will probably give a little better performance now in games that can use more than 2 cores, but the upgrade path is rather poor. Phenom II and FX CPUs are more or less equal to Intel's older Core 2 Duo / Quad CPUs when gaming is concerned and most other types of benchmarks. The FX CPUs does do very well in media creation and video encoding tasks though. Piledriver is AMD's next and most likely last consumer CPU. AMD expects it's performance will be 10% better than the FX. If true, then it will be more or less equivalent to Intel's 1st gen Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs.

Intel is releasing the 3rd generation Ivy Bridge CPUs very soon, and even if my estimate of a small 6% increase in performance is true, then these CPUs will be about 18% more powerful than Piledriver, whenever it comes out. It is generally accepted that the 2nd generation Sandy Bridge CPUs offers an average of 12% performance increase over the 1st gen of Core i3/i5/i7.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 119 À AMD
April 21, 2012 9:22:36 AM

If you do not plan on upgrading at all then the Phenom II X4 965 would be the overall more balanced choice to make.
m
l
April 21, 2012 12:07:57 PM

but amd 965 can overclock well
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 2:57:05 PM

If you want to game now and play multiplayer getting the 965 would be a good choice IMO. But as others have said above, if you have an itch to upgrade down the road in a few months it would be wise to entertain sandy bridge and go i3>i57. Either way you will game just fine.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 21, 2012 7:12:34 PM

bbs99 said:
but amd 965 can overclock well

You never mentioned anything about overclocking, so FYI my AMD 965BE overclocked to 4.2ghz was being out performed by an i5 2400 stock, so wheres the overclock advantage with the AMD 965BE, there is none.

If you have future plans of overclocking and feel you need a quad core CPU then you need to spend a little more money and get a 2500K, it will give you a high overclock advantage and run circles around the original CPUs you listed.

Gaming performance is more dependent on the chosen GPU, and may be relative in some CPU comparisons but for sheer overclock ability applying to other applications the 2500K is the majority of choice to most overclockers literally because of what it's capable of reaching clock wise if you have the cooling to get there.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 7:17:25 PM

4Ryan6 said:
You never mentioned anything about overclocking, so FYI my AMD 965BE overclocked to 4.2ghz was being out performed by an i5 2400 stock, so wheres the overclock advantage with the AMD 965BE, there is none.

If you have future plans of overclocking and feel you need a quad core CPU then you need to spend a little more money and get a 2500K, it will give you a high overclock advantage and run circles around the original CPUs you listed.

I agree that if you're going to spend the extra money on the i5-2400, you're better off spending the extra 30 bucks on the 2500k, however, benchmarks aside considering I own a 2400 system paired with a GTX 460 and it doesn't perform any noticibly better in gaming than my 975 at 4.0GHZ, thats subject to interpretation. Furthermore, it goes beyond the scope of the thread since the OP is asking about the i3 vs the 965.

You say there is no advantage, sure theres an advantage, about 60-110 dollars worth respectively between the 2400 and the 2500k. Thats a lot of money to some people.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 21, 2012 7:37:06 PM

Quote:
Furthermore, it goes beyond the scope of the thread since the OP is asking about the i3 vs the 965.

When he brought overclocking into the picture he is comparing an overclockable unlocked multiplier CPU to one that is multiplier locked and seriously limited in that regard.

The 2500K is the first step up to an unlocked multiplier Intel 1155 CPU, it cost more Yes, but it is an additional option if he intends to overclock.

I agree that 60 to 110 dollars additional is a lot of money, but the OP just needs to be aware of all his options, whatever he chooses is totally his choice.

Personally if I was unaware I would like all my options on the table to make my decisions from, I would hate to be in a position of already made my purchase choice and later regret it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2012 7:37:13 PM

Quote:
The i3 gives you a platform to upgrade with.
The Phenoms are a great chip, but you will be stuck with it.

Not if you are on a 900 chipset, then you can still use any FX and to be released Piledriver.

------------------------------------

The Phenom II is still a strong processor all round, you can get a lot of practicality out of it, the i3 will have no resale value, simply put nobody wants a dual core and if there is you will be lucky to get $40 back. If the choice is purely driven just because its a Intel it is rather petty. If you want a clocking Intel chip save $220 for a 2500k, but buy the fact the OP asked between a PII and i3 suggest he doesn't have the cash.

As a reseller on various tech classified forums, as a rule of thumb never buy a intel locked processor if you plan to sell on and upgrade, you will struggle to find buyers and they will be sharks about it too.

m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 7:40:03 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Quote:
Furthermore, it goes beyond the scope of the thread since the OP is asking about the i3 vs the 965.

When he brought overclocking into the picture he is comparing an overclockable unlocked multiplier CPU to one that is multiplier locked and seriously limited in that regard.

The 2500K is the first step up to an unlocked multiplier Intel 1155 CPU, it cost more Yes, but it is an additional option if he intends to overclock.

I agree that 60 to 110 dollars additional is a lot of money, but the OP just needs to be aware of all his options, whatever he chooses is totally his choice.

Personally if I was unaware I would like all my options on the table to make my decisions from, I would hate to be in a position of already made my purchase choice and later regret it.

Understandable, and you don't have to worry about me pulling a fanboy maneuver, there is no dispute from me that the 2500k is the best CPU for gaming on the market today (contrary to some who might have tried to put words in my mouth at various points in time on the forum). The question to me is "how much better is it, in terms of actual gaming experience rather than a benchmark chart on a review page?".

I do think however, its perfectly fair to compare the feature of overclock ability to a CPU that lacks it. In this case, the cheapest Intel chip with an unlocked multiplier is the 220 dollar i5-2500k.

If I were buying a 965 for my build, I would set the multiplier to 18.5x which effectively gives me a 980 model at the price of a 965. That can be done safely on the stock HSF in about 2 seconds.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2012 7:44:34 PM

Non whatsoever. And from my tests on the 3770K, there is nothing to make you want to run out and upgrade from a 2500k or 2600/2700K. Benches to real world gaming is far fetched and fallacy. I do know that I struggled with SWTOR with a i3 and even a 2300 was a bit stretched.

At the end of the day numbers are distorted mostly to create myopia.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 21, 2012 7:58:34 PM

If the OP is on a fixed budget he probably should have said that in the beginning, because all of us advising here are just trying to help him make a decision he won't regret later.

And if he is on a strict budget I stick with my original suggestion of the i3 2120 for 3 dollars more, surely he could pick up enough change lying around to cover that.

However if his budget just won't allow some suggestions presented here we probably all need to just go back to square one with our advice, or we end up hurting and confusing the issue.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 8:06:08 PM

4Ryan6 said:
If the OP is on a fixed budget he probably should have said that in the beginning, because all of us advising here are just trying to help him make a decision he won't regret later.

However if his budget just won't allow some suggestions we probably all need to just go back to square one with our advice, or we end up hurting and confusing the issue.

On these forums, praying for an issue that isn't confused? Good luck. If I recommend a nicely budgeted, gaming rig well suited to handle any game on the market, if it happens to utilize a Phenom II CPU, people will show up telling the OP how horrible it will perform, whether its based on fact, personal experience, or just hardened opinions. LOL

But just to give it a try, I'll ask the OP what his budget is, and what parts he needs, and which he doesn't.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 8:08:35 PM

Oh c'mon recon, I was making a joke. :) 
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 8:29:04 PM
a c 99 à CPUs
April 21, 2012 8:35:28 PM

@nekulturny

Now I see why you run into confusing issues, don't you think waiting to see what the OPs budget would be first, is a better idea, he may not even need all you've listed.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 8:36:21 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with biostar boards.

2500k on a budget, almost same price as your phenom with asus board....

I dunno, they've always struck me as generic brand. Maybe you have more experience with them than I. I did go more expensive on the board in my phenom build than I had to, the cheaper Asus brand price point, I saw a lot of reviews mentioning something wrong with the CPU cooler lockdowns, and I'm on strike from Gigabyte from my bad experience with em. That leaves MSI, and from what I've been hearing their quality has been slipping.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 8:37:14 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Now I see why you run into confusing issues, don't you think waiting to see what the OPs budget would be first, is a better idea, he may not even need all you've listed.

If he doesn't need it he can omit it. I don't see the problem, if he doesn't need windows 7, you dont click the "add to cart" on newegg for it. Wheres the problem? I gave a foundation for a build, it can be modified as necessary. Its a good starting point.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 21, 2012 8:47:59 PM

nekulturny said:
If he doesn't need it he can omit it. I don't see the problem, if he doesn't need windows 7, you dont click the "add to cart" on newegg for it. Wheres the problem? I gave a foundation for a build, it can be modified as necessary. Its a good starting point.

Did the OP ask for it?

No.

Did you think the title to the thread was an invitation to a flame war?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 8:48:50 PM

Well unfortunately it seems you're the one instigating an argument at this current point in time, and I'm not going to get into it with you. You have a nice day sir.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 21, 2012 8:54:53 PM

nekulturny said:
On these forums, praying for an issue that isn't confused? Good luck. If I recommend a nicely budgeted, gaming rig well suited to handle any game on the market, if it happens to utilize a Phenom II CPU, people will show up telling the OP how horrible it will perform, whether its based on fact, personal experience, or just hardened opinions. LOL

But just to give it a try, I'll ask the OP what his budget is, and what parts he needs, and which he doesn't.

Did the OP PM you or something, I cannot seem to find the budget you said you would wait for?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2012 8:58:33 PM

Seriously? how old are you? Back off.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 21, 2012 9:02:19 PM

nekulturny said:
Well unfortunately it seems you're the one instigating an argument at this current point in time, and I'm not going to get into it with you. You have a nice day sir.

For some reason you seem to see things completely different than I do, as far as who is trying to instigate an argument, why don't we wait for the OPs input to continue, your suggestions may be 100% validated.

Thank You, I am having a nice day! :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2012 9:21:45 PM

Ryan has a lot of posts.........and the overclock guides were useful...hoorah to Ryan.
m
l
April 22, 2012 6:25:02 AM

thanks for all replies but i would recommend you guys to give a clear answer
and again thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 6:27:29 AM

Go with a 965BE on a 970 or 990 chipset, allowing you to jump to Piledriver down the line.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
April 22, 2012 6:38:16 AM

4Ryan6 said:
For some reason you seem to see things completely different than I do, as far as who is trying to instigate an argument, why don't we wait for the OPs input to continue, your suggestions may be 100% validated.

Thank You, I am having a nice day! :) 

Retired Moderator? :cry: 
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 12:16:40 PM

sarinaide said:
Ryan has a lot of posts.........and the overclock guides were useful...hoorah to Ryan.

Thanks sarinaide

amuffin said:
Retired Moderator? :cry: 

Thanks amuffin
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
April 22, 2012 12:23:03 PM

for all the arguments pro amd or pro intel there is little in real world difference.
yes 4 cores are better than 4 threads in some cases but its marginal with these 2 in comparison. but the real reason i would get the intel is the upgrade path available. not only can you upgrade to any sandy, you could potentially go a step further and get an ivy. which is way better than the options you have left on the amd platform.
so in this case my vote is for the intel...
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 12:29:30 PM

bbs99 said:
thanks for all replies but i would recommend you guys to give a clear answer
and again thanks

I'm still sticking to my original suggestion of for 3 dollars more getting the i3 2120 if you are strictly stuck to that price range.

m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 12:32:03 PM

Quote:
4Ryan6 - retired moderator
man we bumped heads when I first started out huh.? :lol: 
it will now be fun testing your knowledge and skills 'in the arena'...
till next time, clock on...

If we bumped heads in the past it's because you crossed lines you shouldn't have crossed and FYI all information is shared in moderator discussion area, so all the moderators have that past information available to them.

Your past problems were never about testing my knowledge and skills in the arena, but by all means feel free to bring it on, because I know full well where the lines are drawn.

m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
April 23, 2012 7:38:03 AM

So do you still have mod powers? Or just regular user powers? Wish you were still a mod.. :*(
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
April 23, 2012 9:41:52 AM

amuffin said:
So do you still have mod powers? Or just regular user powers? Wish you were still a mod.. :*(

No same as you. We have plenty of very good, very fair moderators, if you have any problems out here just PM one of them.
If you need an intermediator PM me.

To the OP bbs99: Sorry for this thread sidetracking now back to the thread topic please everyone.
m
l
!