PS3: in-game 5.1 sound? I hope so

Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2005 6:51:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation (More info?)

Will the PS3 have in-game 5.1 sound? The XBox 360, it appears, will.

More about : ps3 game sound hope

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 9:55:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation (More info?)

I would say almost certainly, PS3 will have in-game 5.1 digital audio.

however, unlike the original Xbox (Xbox1) which has its 'MCPX' audio &
communications processor that can do real-time 5.1 audio in gameplay
without bothering the CPU, PS3 and Xbox360 both rely on their CPUs
to do game audio, including any 5.1 audio in-game.

The burden of processing 5.1 sound will not be taken off the shoulders
of the CPU in either PS3 or Xbox360 because neither console has a
seperate dedicated audio processor. Now, I am *not* saying
something stupid like PS3 and Xbox360 are less powerful than Xbox1, or
that the new consoles cannot do 5.1 sound realtime in games like the
original Xbox can. - I am only saying that, it will be upto the
developer how to use the processing resources of the CPUs in both new
consoles.

Doing realtime 5.1 audio processing on the CPUs will take performance
away from other areas - however, since PS3 and Xbox360 CPUs are so much
more powerful than original Xbox CPU + MCPX combined, it shouldn't
cause much of a problem.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:27:58 PM

"Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Will the PS3 have in-game 5.1 sound? The XBox 360, it appears, will.

yes it will, to go along with the HD video outputs
June 25, 2005 1:14:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation (More info?)

"Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Will the PS3 have in-game 5.1 sound? The XBox 360, it appears, will.
Well considering the current Xbox already supports in-game 5.1 sound I would
think it is a given.

---
HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com
June 25, 2005 1:56:48 AM

"Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message

> "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Will the PS3 have in-game 5.1 sound? The XBox 360, it appears, will.
>>

> yes it will, to go along with the HD video outputs

Sadly it won't have a HDD standard though...it's a shame that we will still
need memory cards with the PS3.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:05:14 AM

"Que" <nospam@goaway.com> wrote in message

> "Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Will the PS3 have in-game 5.1 sound? The XBox 360, it appears, will.
>>>

>> yes it will, to go along with the HD video outputs
>

> Sadly it won't have a HDD standard though...it's a shame that we will
> still need memory cards with the PS3.

hmm.. you jumped in bed with Heslop to get on me about having a "favourite"
console that doesnt exist, but yet you sit here and get all sarcastic about
the same console that doesnt exist. Too funny.
June 26, 2005 4:41:23 AM

> "Que" <nospam@goaway.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> yes it will, to go along with the HD video outputs
>>

>> Sadly it won't have a HDD standard though...it's a shame that we will
>> still need memory cards with the PS3.
>>

> hmm.. you jumped in bed with Heslop to get on me about having a
> "favourite" console that doesnt exist,

Interesting outlook

>but yet you sit here and get all sarcastic about the same console that
>doesnt exist. Too funny.

What can I say, I'm a bit upset the PS3 won't have a HDD standard. Among
other things a HDD would have better ensured game developers would atleast
strongly consider providing level downloads, upgrades, etc.
!