Satellite Phones

Hello,
Is there a newsgroup for satellite phones? I am trying to find out how to
call a satellite phone?
9 answers Last reply
More about satellite phones

    >I am trying to find out how to
    >call a satellite phone?

    Dial the number!

    --
    John S.

    "Joshua Gbaa" <wgbaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Is there a newsgroup for satellite phones? I am trying to find out how to
    > call a satellite phone?

    The closest thing to a satellite phone newsgroup is a mail list ("satphone")
    on Yahoo Groups (groups.yahoo.com).
    Most satellite phones are dialed as international numbers having their own
    country codes (e.g. +870, +8816, etc). Some are called as local or wireless
    numbers. Others may be called by dialing an access number then dialing the
    satellite phone number. It depends on the satellite service and phone.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:14:21 -0500, "Donald Newcomb"
    <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:

    >"Joshua Gbaa" <wgbaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> Is there a newsgroup for satellite phones? I am trying to find out how to
    >> call a satellite phone?
    >
    >The closest thing to a satellite phone newsgroup is a mail list ("satphone")
    >on Yahoo Groups (groups.yahoo.com).
    >Most satellite phones are dialed as international numbers having their own
    >country codes (e.g. +870, +8816, etc). Some are called as local or wireless
    >numbers. Others may be called by dialing an access number then dialing the
    >satellite phone number. It depends on the satellite service and phone.

    With some, the user just puts their GSM SIM card in it, so you just
    dial their normal GSM number.

    "Sprout" <rinkydinky@btconnect.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:14:21 -0500, "Donald Newcomb"
    > <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:
    >

    > >"Joshua Gbaa" <wgbaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >> Is there a newsgroup for satellite phones? I am trying to find out how
    > >> call a satellite phone?
    > >
    > >The closest thing to a satellite phone newsgroup is a mail list
    ("satphone")
    > >on Yahoo Groups (groups.yahoo.com).
    > >Most satellite phones are dialed as international numbers having their
    own
    > >country codes (e.g. +870, +8816, etc). Some are called as local or
    wireless
    > >numbers. Others may be called by dialing an access number then dialing
    the
    > >satellite phone number. It depends on the satellite service and phone.
    >
    > With some, the user just puts their GSM SIM card in it, so you just
    > dial their normal GSM number.

    I think that's the Thuraya. It works in Europe, northern Africa and the
    mideast. The Globalstar works on conventional analog cellular and CDMA as
    you would find on Sprint or VZW. Googling Thuraya or Globalstar will provide
    a lot on info. Immarsat and Irridium are the others I know of.

    --
    Thomas M. Goethe

    "Thomas M. Goethe" <goethe11@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > I think that's the Thuraya. It works in Europe, northern Africa and
    the
    > mideast. The Globalstar works on conventional analog cellular and CDMA as
    > you would find on Sprint or VZW. Googling Thuraya or Globalstar will
    provide
    > a lot on info. Immarsat and Irridium are the others I know of.

    The "analog/CDMA" GlobalStar phones are a GlobalStar NA oddity. The rest of
    the world uses GSM/Globalstar and many GSM carriers have roaming agreements
    with the regional GlobalStar service provider. e.g. Many European GSM
    carriers roam with Elsacom (sp?), the Italian central-European
    ground-station. So you can just drop your GSM SIM in a GlobalStar phone and
    roam within that region. Outside that region it would have to be a different
    roaming agreement, which may or may not exist.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    I stand corrected on the GSM/Globalstar phone. though GSM was completely
    dead in the Hurricane Charley area for the first few days, but I would have
    been thrilled to have had some CDMA/analog/Globalstar phones for our folks.
    There was CDMA and analog service available, even my VZW Airprime PC 5220
    worked, though slower than usual. T-Mobile did come back about four days
    later, but our AT&T phones were still dead at that point. didn't bother with
    it after that.

    --
    Thomas M. Goethe

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:18:20 +0000, Joshua Gbaa wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Is there a newsgroup for satellite phones? I am trying to find out how to
    > call a satellite phone?

    Do you know anyone who has a satellite phone ? If so, just ask them for
    their number and dial away.

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
  8. When dialing a sat phone number from the states start with 011 then the rest of the number
  9. Quote:

    Hello,
    Is there a newsgroup for satellite phones? I am trying to find out how to
    call a satellite phone?

    Dial 011 then the rest of the number

GSM Phones Newsgroup