Sapphire Radeon 6770 enough power?

qmaster

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hey, i've got a 375 watt Power supply, I wanna remove my radeon 2600xt and replace it by an sapphire radeon 6770.
My specs (dell precision workstation 380):
-2x 160gb sata hd.
-1x 100gb sata hd.
-2 dvd rom drives.
-2x pentium D 2,80 ghz.
-Creative Soundblaster Audigy.
-3 gb memory

Could my computer handle a 6770. If neccesary, I wanna remove one dvd rom drive.

The 6770 has a TDP of 108W with power consumption ~96W at full load: http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-6770-iceqx-turbo-crossfire-review/5
The 2600XT has a TDP of 50W with power consumption about 48W at full load.

AMD recommends a 450W PSU for the HD6770 with at least one 6-pin PCIe power connector.

Dell typically uses very good quality PSUs, especially in their workstations. At full load, the 6770 would only increase your system power draw by about 4A. I can't say for certain, but I think your current PSU will work. If your PSU doesn't have a PCIe power connector then you will have to use a molex-PCIe power connector to provide addl power to your GPU. Most new GPUs will include that adapter with the card, but they are available and inexpensive at hardware sites like Newegg. What are the specs of your PSU? You can read the specs from the side of the PSU...3.3V, 5V and 12V (amps are more important, give the amps and total power output for each rail).

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6770 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 25 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The Dell OEM 375W PSU, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 6770.

You may need to check your power supply to see if it actually has a 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector because there are some revisions of those power supplies that didn't have one.

The motherboard's Intel 955X chipset is also utilizing PCI Express Base Specification, Revision 1.0a.

Never saw a 375w that didn't have one
Specs for the system say ;
"PCI Express x16 up to 150 W"

jkobusinski

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

I had the same question.Then why does AMD recommend so much more power?