Been wanting a quad core for awhile...

KanagiF

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
I really enjoy video editing, and streaming however lately my computer has been 100% bottlenecking. I currently have
http://ark.intel.com/products/33910/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8400-(6M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB)
3GHZ dual-core. Standard, I haven't OC'd it at all.

What I'm wondering is if I buy
http://ark.intel.com/products/39107/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q8300-(4M-Cache-2_50-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB)

will the increase of the dual cores, but lower speed help me? I'd imagine just having the four cores would be amazing, even if I manually have to set my Streaming program to core 2-4 and my game to core 1.

In a few months I will be building a new computer for 1155 socket, and i7 etc but would this be a good place-holder? I would really like to buy it for the $140 I see it as.

I would first try OCing.
For Video editing, the added two cores would help, but also depends on the software and it's ability to use multicores.
$140 for a couple of Monthes, Not sure it's worth it.
Might want to see if you can look at a review of both CPU using the software that you are using
- Then you can make a judgement of is the $140 worth it as opposed to IMPROVE your new build by that same 140 Bucks. I'm inclinded to go with this rout

KanagiF

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Appreciate the reply a lot - I use XSplit, and FME for Streaming (Both use up to 8 cores seemlessly) and I use Premiere Pro for Video editing. It maxes out all the cores.

To be honest, I'm debating if I buy this to hold off awhile longer on another computer, and when I do upgrade, just build an entire new one, and take this one to my office. I'm just not too familiar with the Core 2 Quad family.

That doesn't appear to be an overclockable motherboard, based on what I could see of the specs.

Based on that, I don't think it's wise to invest any more into it. Just go out and get a new board and a core i5 2500k (or the newer Ivy Bridge version when that comes out soon).

KanagiF

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
I looked at it's page and it has this paragraph

The motherboard supports overclocking and tuning with Intelligent Overclocking Technologiy and the ASRock OC Tuner. It also has jumper adjustments to ensure stable performance at any speed.

I'm not really familiar with the OC Tuner, but maybe it'll work? They also mis-spelled Technology, not me. :(