6970 stutters in skyrim

Status
Not open for further replies.

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I'm running a gigabyte 6970 oc2 model overclocked to 920mhz, running on the auto detected settings for skyrim (ultra) i get a fair bit of stuttering frames. I noticed my cpu barely comes out of idle states while playing skyrim, usually its between 1.6ghz and 2.2ghz though when it goes max out it's overclocked to 4.5ghz. Could it be my cpu not running full ball or is my gpu just bottlenecking. I'm running catalyst 11.9 because 11.10 wasn't installing properly for me. Should my 6970 be able to handle skyrim maxed? I play battlefield maxed and that games alot prettier

Solution
ok, get back on track people - " I noticed my cpu barely comes out of idle states while playing skyrim, usually its between 1.6ghz and 2.2ghz though when it goes max out it's overclocked to 4.5ghz." < @OP - thats the problem, so look into fixing that. Disable speedstep or any other power management crap in BIOS and try the game again.
I think you want to be running the latest drivers for your card , they put out those drivers for a reason and it's so the gpu can render the game properly without any problems. All games when they are released have to get patches and the cards have to get new drivers so everything can run smoothly.
What is the problem that you can't run the catalyst 11.10 drivers.

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Ok so I think i made things worse. When i try installing 11.10 it downloads, extracts the file the at the point where you click either install or uninstall i click install and the program just disappears like its crashed or something. So i thought i should remove my old drivers first, i used driver sweeper because add/remove programs wasn't able to remove catalyst. Now i have no driver installed and 11.10 is still not installing, exact same issue. What would cause the drivers installer to crash?

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Windows just told me apparently its a problem to do with visual studios 2005 or something. I tried downloading the fix that it linked me to, but that fix had the same problem it keeps crashing before it installs

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Ok so turns out as with most things it was user error. I had visual c++ 2010 express install but hadn't registered it, as soon as i did it let me install catalyst 11.10 /facepalm now lets see if that fixed my stuttering

Andy34

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Ive been having the same problem Ijust system restored to when I had drivers at least but not catalyst won't open and I get the display stopped responding error.
I have visual Basic 2010 express installed how do I register it?

You are going to need the latest Crossfire profiles (CAP) and being it was JUST released a few minutes ago, they might not be updated for Skyrim just yet. I noticed Nvidia just released some beta drivers today, so things doesn't seem as if everything was in place before it's release.

dont get disappointed at AMD get disappointed at yourself, they havnt releases a crossfire profile or updated drivers yet. Chances are you also have a poor cpu and you have some setting on that is killing performance but you dont want to put in any effort to make it work. People that dont want to have to change any settings to make things work should be playing a console.

Axim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Um, I'm running the MSI 6970 Lightning 940/1375 and I can certainly play BF3 on High with frames to spare, but maxed (read, Ultra) @ 1920x1200 is just this side of playable. Borderline 30-40 fps, with a few dips into the 28-29 area. So unless you consider barely 30FPS playable, then I want to know what you're doing differently. Unless you turn off MSAA, which is in fact not Ultra anymore, but Custom. I have...

i7 920 @ 4.2 HT Enabled (Prime95 stable for 72 hours straight on high heat setting)
6GB of Corsair DOMINATOR GT Triple channel PC2000 6-6-6-18
MSI 6970 Lightning (stock, can't seem to push it more than a few mhz past without issues, but stock is rock solid)
Asus P6TD Deluxe
BF3 (and soon Skyrim) are located on an OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II SSD
Antec 750W so I know I have enough power for a single card setup

Don't mean to hijack this thread but 30 FPS is not 'playable'. Cat 11.10.

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

Honestly, check my BF3 thread. Then you will hate AMD.

Also my CPU is poor quality? i7 at 4.00ghz?

Cool.

Stef1_1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

I see no new cap profiles? Just 11.9 cap 4's.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
6950 here and it plays Skyrim on Full Ultra @FullHD at 62fps on average. Put fraps on and it drops to an even 30fps.

With BF3 Full Ultra @FullHD I get 53fps on average. Put on fraps and it drops to 30fps.

No overclocks anywhere on my system.

arathad

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

What are you smoking? 62 fps on ultra? Even people with GTX 580 dont get that fps. And btw the game has max fps of 60 so I dont know how you get 62... I love lying people...

BF3 - 53 fps on ultra? GTX580 SLI does that.

I have a feeling you think you lose fps by just enabling fraps, you lose fps when u start recording so ur real fps is 30 then...

jerrolds

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I'm running
i5-760 2.8Ghz -> 4.1Ghz
4GB Ram
Radeon 6950 flashed to 6970, overclocked slightly to 900mhz/1440mhz

Only played for about an hour, but running fraps the game runs at around 35-42fps in city areas, and about 60fp out in the wilderness

1920x1080
4x AA
8x AF
FXAA: Unchecked

Texture: High
Radial Blur: Medium
Shadow: Ultra
Decal: Ultra

Water: all 4 boxes checked off
View Distance: Default

I'm running the Rage drivers

I'll have to play it more but i suspect during most fights especially near the city - ill be goin at aroun 30-35fps

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

You can disable V-Sync with a .ini tweak.

As far as the 6970 is concerned, check out this performance preview:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/11/elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_performance_iq_preview

There are lots of issues with the 6970 when compared to the GTX 580, the reviewer believes it to be mostly driver issues.

redeemer

Distinguished
Is everyone here serious or just a troll?? I am running a pcs+ 6970 @ ultra 1080p setting for Skyrim i5 2500k 4.5 Ghz. The game is running beautifully and smooth! Catalyst 11.10. Had no problems with BF3 either, so either you got a bad card or just do know jack about hardware software orientations!

The problem is the ones who aren't having a good experience are likely on slow CPU's. Your CPU is an seriously overclocked Sandy bridge. The problem comes in with the AMD CPU's and Core2duos.

Planb_aus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
What everyone seems to be missing here is the core of almost all fps issues when gaming with a semi decent rig. Please note, every pc is as good as its weakest component. If you have a decent gpu, CPU, RAM, MB, etc, then 9 times out of 10 it's your HDD... Unless your HDD is a SSD or 10000rpm WD raptor (which will nly give you 33% more than most) its your shitty 7200 HDD causing all you issues. Think of it as a connected system, where the weakest component bottle necks the rest.

Also your overriding graphics config (sli, xfire, CDC settings etc) can affect your gpu. Although if your gpu, CPU etc can cache, R/W etc though ram to the HDD faster than the HDD can respond and act, again that's your HDD's problem..... unless you have no idea about the associated drivers and software.

Also ensure when you update your gfx driver you do a clean sweep. Especially with ati. Oh, don't forget the files they store in the registry too.

One more thing.., sorry. The components temperature dramatically affects performance. Especially gpu. So make sure it's not over heating more than specec on full load.

BR
Electronic engineer

Planb_aus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
What everyone seems to be missing here is the core of almost all fps issues when gaming with a semi decent rig. Please note, every pc is as good as its weakest component. If you have a decent gpu, CPU, RAM, MB,psu etc, then 9 times out of 10 it's your HDD... Unless your HDD is a SSD or 10000rpm WD raptor (which will only give you 33% more than most) its your shitty 7200 HDD causing all you issues. Think of it as a connected system, where the weakest component bottle necks the rest.

Also your overriding graphics config (sli, xfire, CCC settings etc) can affect your gpu. Although if your gpu, CPU etc can cache, R/W etc though ram to the HDD faster than the HDD can respond and act, again that's your HDD's problem..... unless you have no idea about the associated drivers and software.

Also ensure when you update your gfx driver you do a clean sweep. Especially with ati. Oh, don't forget the files they store in the registry too.

One more thing.., sorry. The components temperature dramatically affects performance. Especially gpu. So make sure it's not over heating more than specec on full load.

There is more than this to consider, but it's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.