Looking for help on a new gaming/editing computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysterious_X

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hey guys, looking to get a gaming desktop as my laptop is becoming a bit outdated.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a few months..

Budget Range: up to $400

System Usage: gaming, video and image editing, surfing internet

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, graphics card
I have a GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB already, so that will be fine for a while, (just make sure it will fit in case, lol)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any trusted, newegg, amazon, tigerdirect, etc

Parts Preferences: full tower case, at least 3ghz quad core, at least 6-8gb ram, motherboard with extra ram slots, also need a cheap copy of windows 7
This ram should work well, unless there is lower price or any better: Corsair Vengeance

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Additional Comments: Like stated above, want a good gaming and editing computer

Edit: changed SLI to maybe from yes

^+1

SLI Capable for current cards that are in the mid-upper range (IE 560 Ti or higher) require a 750w+ and a good one is already 1/4 of your budget.

Finding the 8800 GTS to SLI with is going to be hard as well, it has been discontinued for a while now so, you'll have to rely on the ads locally or EBAY which doesn't always spring up what you want.

Windows is also already about 1/4-1/5 of your budget so... That's something to be aware of.

Quick question though, are you editing ALOT or just minor editing? And are you gaming ALOT or just moderate average joe gamer kind of settings?

Mysterious_X

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Clarification: I have 2 of the 8800 cards to use. I also have xp to use if that lowers price. I do minor editing, heavy gaming, but i'm all about performance, not looks/quality. I can go get a better gpu later, and for when i get a newer card, I wont need sli, so I don't need the power for two new gpus, I think i'll be fine with only one of the 8800s too, if that helps you guys find parts.

Wmharris96

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Im sorry, i misunderstood. I though the OP didnt have the psu capabillities to do a sli build

Dual gpus will give that the power to run modern games, however id be concerned about cpu bottlenecking
I hate to see graphical power wasted by BNing

Status
Not open for further replies.