Prepaid SIM in New York City?

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
August 6, 2004 2:51:56 AM

I'm planning on staying for 3 weeks in NYC.
I want to bring my own GSM (tri-band) handset, and use it to make and
receive mostly local calls.
Anyone has any idea as to how to do that as cheaply as possible?

I also heard about TracFone, but reading their site I keep getting the
feeling that there is some kind of "gotcha" lurking.

Any responses will be appreciated...

A.

More about : prepaid sim york city

August 6, 2004 2:51:57 AM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:51:56 +0300, AHK <spam@pork.com> wrote:

>I'm planning on staying for 3 weeks in NYC.
>I want to bring my own GSM (tri-band) handset, and use it to make and
>receive mostly local calls.
>Anyone has any idea as to how to do that as cheaply as possible?

You can get "Easy Speak" prepaid with T-Mobile. The SIM only package
is $50 which includes $30 of airtime.

There is also cingular "KIC" prepaid. Not sure what the details on
that are.

The deals for these prepaid accounts can be had at corporate stores.

>I also heard about TracFone, but reading their site I keep getting the
>feeling that there is some kind of "gotcha" lurking.

Tracfone requires that you buy one of their proprietary phones. It is
not a GSM system in New York.

Also their prepaid minute rates are rather on the steep side.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:02:24 AM

cingular, t-mobile or ATT Wireless prepaid Sim cards in your Unlocked Phone
best deal is on eBay.
!