Canon IXUS record video continously

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 10, 2005 8:13:35 AM

Hello,

I'm having an annoying problem with my IXUS 40 (SD400 in the US). I
can't seem to make it shoot video for longer than 19seconds!

Annoying because everyone on here boasts that one of the selling points
of the camera is that it can continously shoot video. Which leads me to
believe its a user problem :)

any help would be greatly appreciated.
simon@*NOSPAM*simonharbour.com

Simon
May 10, 2005 9:24:07 PM

Have you checked the memory card size requirements for video per unit of
time? Do you have a large enough memory card in your camera?

Morton

simonharbour@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having an annoying problem with my IXUS 40 (SD400 in the US). I
> can't seem to make it shoot video for longer than 19seconds!
>
> Annoying because everyone on here boasts that one of the selling points
> of the camera is that it can continously shoot video. Which leads me to
> believe its a user problem :)
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
> simon@*NOSPAM*simonharbour.com
>
> Simon
May 11, 2005 7:14:56 AM

the card is 512mb, there's more than enough space so unfortunatly it's
not the problem.

hmmm..
Related resources
May 11, 2005 9:00:35 AM

Hmmm, that could make sense as when you capture a 19second movie it
takes aaaaages to write to the card. I can only imagine how long it'd
take for a say, 4min clip.

I think it's time to buy a faster card may be...
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:30:47 AM

On 10 May 2005 04:13:35 -0700, simonharbour@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm having an annoying problem with my IXUS 40 (SD400 in the US). I
> can't seem to make it shoot video for longer than 19seconds!

A review of the IXUS 40 in Digital Camera Buyer issue #27 states:

> The IXUS 40 can capture standard, compact and fast-frame movies
> with sound, and the length of these is only limited by the size of the
> SD card (if a high speed card is used).

If they're correct, it seems that you need a faster SD card to be
able to shoot longer movies.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:53:55 PM

Simon,

I have the same problem, 19 seconds exactly. I have always assumed it was
because the camera could only buffer so much video and the buffer was
filling up.
I have never investigated further as I do not use the facility much but I am
interested in any answers.

Cheers
Pete

<simonharbour@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm having an annoying problem with my IXUS 40 (SD400 in the US). I
> can't seem to make it shoot video for longer than 19seconds!
>
> Annoying because everyone on here boasts that one of the selling points
> of the camera is that it can continously shoot video. Which leads me to
> believe its a user problem :)
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
> simon@*NOSPAM*simonharbour.com
>
> Simon

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 4:08:20 PM

On 11 May 2005 05:00:35 -0700, Si wrote:

> Hmmm, that could make sense as when you capture a 19second movie it
> takes aaaaages to write to the card. I can only imagine how long it'd
> take for a say, 4min clip.

Yep. If the video data accumulates faster than it can be written
to the card, it starts to fill the camera's memory buffer. When
there's no room left and the buffer overflows, the camera stops
recording additional video but continues flushing its buffer to the
card. If the card is fast enough, there shouldn't be much of a
delay writing to the card when you stop shooting the video, since
there should be little or nothing in the buffer waiting to be
flushed to the card. My camera uses xD cards and they may all be
fast enough to capture continuous video. I haven't noticed any
delays after capturing long videos (at 640x480, 30fps, with sound),
and I haven't seen any of the various cards differentiated by speed.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:41:03 AM

thats interesting, i'm disapointed with the write speed of my current
card.

I'm currently looking into a 66x 512mb card at around £33 on
www.ebuyer.co.uk (if anyone's interested and has the same problem.) i
assume this'll fix the problem, if not...i'll have an even bigger stack
of spare SD cards :)

thanks for everyones help!

Simon
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 8:02:44 PM

On 12 May 2005 03:41:03 -0700, simonharbour@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm currently looking into a 66x 512mb card at around £33 on
> www.ebuyer.co.uk (if anyone's interested and has the same problem.) i
> assume this'll fix the problem, if not...i'll have an even bigger stack
> of spare SD cards :)

If it allows your IXUS to create longer sustained videos let us
know!

Correction. If it doesn't help, let us know that too. :)
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 10:19:34 AM

so i'm the test monkey then?

sod it, ok! I'm no hero but i'm interested to see if it works!
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 2:46:11 PM

On 13 May 2005 06:19:34 -0700, simonharbour@gmail.com wrote:

> so i'm the test monkey then?

Better than being the crash test dummy. <g>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 9:36:57 AM

ASAAR wrote:
> On 13 May 2005 06:19:34 -0700, simonharbour@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > so i'm the test monkey then?
>
> Better than being the crash test dummy. <g>

Oddly enough, If anyone is still having problems with this. Use the
video capture in 60fps mode (fast frame rate mode) and you can
continously record. The quality isnt quite as good but it's perfectly
usable.

simon
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:08:28 AM

So...
(the suspense is killing me) did you get a faster card and did it make
any difference?

And what exactly constitutes a high speed card? And what doesn't?
(8x? 45x? 60x?)

--Peter
!