Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia graphics driver error

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2011 10:40:20 PM

Hello,
I often get the following error message: NVIDIA DRIVER KERNEL HAS STOPPED WORKING AND HAS SUCCESSFULLY RECOVERED. My computer interface (keyboard and mouse) stop working and I have to reboot to use it. I suspect teh video driver.
a b Î Nvidia
November 10, 2011 10:43:46 PM

Hello.
Which video card and which driver you use ?
Did you install this card lately ?
Did you remove old drivers ?
m
l
November 10, 2011 11:04:31 PM

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
Driver is nvlddmkm.sys
The card came with the computer
The driver above is the only one in the <c:\windows/System32/DRIVERs> directory
There are two others (nvd3dum.dll and nvwgf2um.dll) in <c:\windows/System32> directory
I am running Windows 7
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 10, 2011 11:09:03 PM

Did you update the driver ?
m
l
November 11, 2011 1:37:49 AM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Did you update the driver ?

Yes!
m
l
November 20, 2011 11:02:04 PM

I was hopefull that updating te driver would solve the problem, but no such luck. The frequency of freeze-up is less but I did have one earlier today.
m
l
December 2, 2011 5:05:30 PM

That would happen to me whenever I used firefox or ie. Since I started using opera I do not get that anymore.
m
l
December 3, 2012 5:03:53 PM

jarovian said:
Hello,
I often get the following error message: NVIDIA DRIVER KERNEL HAS STOPPED WORKING AND HAS SUCCESSFULLY RECOVERED. My computer interface (keyboard and mouse) stop working and I have to reboot to use it. I suspect teh video driver.

Hi Jarovian,

I have had the exact same problem and am convinced it is a video hardware problem. I am pretty ticked about it because it came with a new Sony VAIO laptop. I think they know they loaded faulty hardware and I have had no satisfaction getting support from them or NVIDIA.

My error was just like yours. Windows 7 action center, which comes with windows 7, repeatedly found hardware errors too. If that function is on and configured as mine is, it will eventually generate a report about it and ID the files that contain the information about it to send to Microsoft for potential solutions. There are no software solutions, of course, because it is the hardware.

The error messages you are getting - I got those once in a while for about a year. The screen would freeze and go black, then come back.

Eventually, the hardware starts dying altogether, which is what is happening to me now. It is a very gradual process

I had a warranty and extended warranty on this computer and it is pulling teeth to get anything addressed. NVIDIA is not winning any fans with its behavior regarding this. NVIDIA/SONY did have a recall but the dates and models didn't correspond to my computer and I think it is bogus damage control on their part, to limit their liability. I think I got bad video hardware and it definitely has to be repaired now.

NVIDIA - if you are reading this, you have customers who will now go out of their way to avoid your products.

SONY - if you are reading this, your laptops seemed to be as well-built as Lenovos but obviously, turns out, they aren't.
m
l
December 3, 2012 5:04:36 PM

Sorry, to say video hardware is misleading -- it is display hardware.
m
l
!