Changing cooler on Asus 6950 2gb DirectCU II

didiremy

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I know the topic name sounds silly, but yes I do want to change the cooler on my Asus 6950 2GB Directcu II card.
I have two running in crossfire but due to the fact that there is no space between them, the top one is running quite hot, around 78 degrees celsius, when the bottom one is running a safe 40 degrees.

This is stopping me from being able to over clock the hell out of them.

My question is; does anyone know if the Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II will work on this card? I see this as my only option in getting this set up to work, this cooler should give the extra space needed to get some air onto my top card.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Cheers

The only way to know is if you can find out if Asus used a reference board for thier Directcu 11 card and if they did then you can use an aftermarket cooler. The fact that the card in its current state has two fans blowing directly onto the heatsink does not allow for the other cooler to perform any better. What kind of case do you have and do you have a fan on the side pannel or can you have a fan blowing at the end of the cards towards the back of the case.

didiremy

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

I have a Corsair 650D, I have ordered the side panel insert which can allow for 4x 120mm fans blowing onto the cards from the side.

The reason I believe the aftermarket cooler will perform better is because the Asus DirectCU card takes up 3 slots.
This leaves about 3mm of space between the fans of the top card and the board of the bottom card, thus making it hard for the top card to suck in air.

The arctic cooler will leave some extra space between the two cards allow it to suck in air a little easier.