Can`t extend the display to my third monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon243

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hi, benevolent sirs of the internets.

Here's my problem.

I got three (3) displays connected to my graphic card (an ATI Radeon HD 6870), My display are connected as follows: one (1) on the VGA port, one (1) on the DVI port and another one (1) in the display port using a display port to HDMI adapter.

Whenever I try to extend my display on a third one using the Catalyst Control Center (A marvel of technology, in my humble opinion...); it throws me this intricate dialog box saying the following: "To extend the desktop, a desktop or display must be disabled."

I am very happy indeed that it tries to help me, but, it really doesn't... (I don't blame it though, it's just trying to do it's job.)

So, what am I to do, to make it work?

Thanks... I really hope we can find an answer to this, really, troubling problem.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
i know i have had all sorts of problems with 3 screens when 1 is VGA port, (i was using a passive mini display port to VGA adapter tho)

what outputs does your card have?
does it see the 3rd monitor.

generally you will need atleast 1 display port (NATIVE) or ACTIVE display port to DVI or HDMI for it to work.

is ur adapter an active adapter?

inanition02

Distinguished
There is a separate setting for Eyefinity, yes. But you don't need to enable Eyefinity to extend windows to the 3rd monitor.

What adapter do you have? Did you try unplugging one of the other monitors and see if the HDMI monitor works then?

simon243

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
i don't want to use Eyefinity.for the moment i just want to extend them( i tryed eyefinity but i get the same problem). The monitor with the DP to HDMI is my main display, when i'm looking in the Screen resolution option i can extend a second monitor but when i try to do the same with the third one i got this : "Unable to save display settings.". My adapter is a DP to HDMI from StarTech. apparently this adapter is Passive.

inanition02

Distinguished

Nope - eyefinity is about monitor grouping. I toogle my eyefinity display group for gaming, then disable it in windows.

With Eyefinity off, I have three separate usable screens (i.e., if I put something on the left screen and maximize it, it fills just that monitor)

With Eyefinity on, I have what windows thinks is one big screen across three monitors. The taskbar extends across all three, and if I put a window anywhere and maximize it, it fills all three. That's how the games work.

Eyefinity would also allow me to use two of the monitors in a group and retain one as separate, if I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.