Finding a PCI sound card with SPDIF?

redpenguin2

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I have a Sparkle 8400GS PCI card that has an SPDIF to sound card connect to get sound out of the DVI connector when converting it to HDMI.

I found the proper connectors for HDMI to DVI and found the actual SPDIF connector.

The problem is my motherboard has no SPDIF connector so I wish to get a PCI sound card.

The problem is when I try and look for SPDIF sound cards, I get what appears to be the glass connector spdif vs the 2-pin connector.

Solution
It will be tough finding a sound card with a S/PDIF out in header format. The only card I've seen with a S/PDIF header was an Audigy 2 ZS, and even then it was S/PDIF in rather than out.

Additionally from what I can tell based upon NVidias documentation, the 8400GS's S/PDIF connector is also input rather than output. The card itself provides audio through HDMI or DVI via a built in Realtek chip that is integrated onto the card itself. All you need to do is select it under sound devices to enable it.

sk1939

Distinguished
It will be tough finding a sound card with a S/PDIF out in header format. The only card I've seen with a S/PDIF header was an Audigy 2 ZS, and even then it was S/PDIF in rather than out.

Additionally from what I can tell based upon NVidias documentation, the 8400GS's S/PDIF connector is also input rather than output. The card itself provides audio through HDMI or DVI via a built in Realtek chip that is integrated onto the card itself. All you need to do is select it under sound devices to enable it.

Solution