Computer shuts down after a about a minute

Last response: in Motherboards
March 2, 2013 1:12:18 AM

Build:
Antec 600W Earthwats PSU
ASRock P55 extreme.
4GB DDR3 G Skill Ram
500gb hard drive.

Ok... so I brought my computer home from my dorm for spring break and now it wont work. At first it wouldn't power on at all. I ended up shaking the psu cords around and it would jump on and off. So I zip tied the cord up and it would run. Now, after about 1 minute of running it keeps shutting off. Now the interesting part, after it shuts off, the power button on the mobo will turn it back on for about 10 seconds, the reset button on the mobo does nothing and the clear cmos button on the mobo does the same thing as the power button (on the mobo).... What do you guys think? Mobo or PSU issue?

(Cpu is only getting to 65-70C when it dies on the first run)

More about : computer shuts minute

a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2013 2:23:04 AM

nomer45 said:
Build:
Antec 600W Earthwats PSU
ASRock P55 extreme.
4GB DDR3 G Skill Ram
500gb hard drive.

Ok... so I brought my computer home from my dorm for spring break and now it wont work. At first it wouldn't power on at all. I ended up shaking the psu cords around and it would jump on and off. So I zip tied the cord up and it would run. Now, after about 1 minute of running it keeps shutting off. Now the interesting part, after it shuts off, the power button on the mobo will turn it back on for about 10 seconds, the reset button on the mobo does nothing and the clear cmos button on the mobo does the same thing as the power button (on the mobo).... What do you guys think? Mobo or PSU issue?

Its a psu issue as far as I can guess. Replace it with another to see if the mobo's working as well.
m
l
March 2, 2013 4:43:24 AM

First Change CPU thermal paste then see if the problem exist then it's psu problem, there is no problem with Mobo.
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 6:31:08 AM

You mention a dorm? Well, based on your grammar next semester please enroll in an English class or something that will teach you proper grammer.

Second- what you describe smacks of some sort of overheating. Thermal paste on the CPU...the CPU fan isnt running properly...the PSU fan isnt running properly. Bottom line is something is getting too hot and the computer doesnt like it. FYI 65-70 is pretty hot.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2013 4:39:09 AM

Kjwinden said:
You mention a dorm? Well, based on your grammar next semester please enroll in an English class or something that will teach you proper grammer.

Second- what you describe smacks of some sort of overheating. Thermal paste on the CPU...the CPU fan isnt running properly...the PSU fan isnt running properly. Bottom line is something is getting too hot and the computer doesnt like it. FYI 65-70 is pretty hot.

HA HA HA no offense :whistle: 
m
l
March 3, 2013 4:57:20 AM

I just realized I was giving him crap for his use of the English language and spelled "grammar" "grammer" the second time. I am the idiot here...my apologies.
m
l
March 3, 2013 6:26:39 PM

PSU/motherboard/CPU issue. Try changing one, then another, and then the CPU. But first change the CPU fan, because it's too hot 65-70ºC.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2013 5:18:24 AM

nomer45 said:
Build:
Antec 600W Earthwats PSU
ASRock P55 extreme.
4GB DDR3 G Skill Ram
500gb hard drive.

just follow the order - psu - mobo - cpu to troubleshoot.
m
l
!