New computer im buying any good?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2012 9:09:06 PM

So i'm buying a new computer. I am currently using a crappy laptop. Dell inspiron 1501... Here are the specs for the new one i'm going to be buying.

Will include a genuine copy of Boarderlands(awesome game).

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz(can be overclocked past 4GHz)
MSI Crossfire Motherboard (supports to video cards)
4G G.Skill RipjawX DDR3-1600 RAM
1G MSI Geforce 430GT video card
LG DVD Writer
80G HDD w/ Windows XP Pro
480 PSU
2 Blue LED fans and 1 non-LED fan

I know windows XP.. and 80gb hard drive isn't great, but that can be upgraded after I buy it. This computer will be costing me $350. My question is, is it worth it? Will I be able to play new games such as skyrim, BF3, Team Fortress 2, and other cool games such as those? Preferably without lag on atleast decent settings, not necessarily max settings. I'm also not the type of person looking for 60fps steady. Anywhere above 30fps is fantastic for me.

Thanks in advance!

**EDIT** The computer screen i have for the computer right now will be 1440x900

More about : computer buying good

Best solution

January 8, 2012 10:25:23 PM

The video card isn't going to be very good for that. Gaming at low settings shouldn't be a problem, but you will want a more powerful GPU. Of course, you will be limited in what GPU you can pur in her with a 480 Watt PSU, but you should be able to put in a moderately decent card.

Keep in mind that to upgrade that HDD you are going to have to spend a lot of money for a decent one.

What exactly is your max budget, which would include upgrades you would perform rather soon after purchase?
January 8, 2012 10:34:55 PM

Well the seller just upgraded the HDD to a 200G SATA HDD.

Any idea what kind of fps I can expect from games like skyrim on medium settings?
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2012 10:45:09 PM

It may squeak close to 30 FPS, but that's just a crap-shoot guess based on benchmarks for other games. However, it *is* upgrade-able. Buy it now, upgrade later is always an option. I would, however, upgrade the HDD last and also wait as long as possible to allow prices to drop further. I just can't say the PC is worth $350 or not. It might be, it might not be. Personally, I would pay $300 for it and put that $50 towards any upgrades.
m
l
January 8, 2012 10:47:42 PM

Best answer selected by waugaha.
m
l
January 8, 2012 10:48:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get it, Since he upgrade the HDD and he is throwing in some games, and I can upgrade in the future.
m
l
January 8, 2012 10:55:19 PM

Alright. If you need any help deciding what to upgrade, let us know.
m
l
!