Changing NIC MAC address

h810799

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
hi,

I wanna change my Network card MAC address (spoof), if i enter an random mac address it accepts it and changes it successfully , but if i enter my iPhone mac address , it doesn't take effect.

Does any1 know why this is happening?

h810799

h810799

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

no , the iPhone is not connected, if i enter any MAC that starts with 04:1E:64 it doesnt apply the MAC in the NIC.

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
The driver for your NIC may not support changing the MAC address. It all depends on how you are trying to change the MAC address though. If you are trying to "permanently" change the MAC, you'll need to get your hands on the tool your motherboard manufacturer used to program the MAC on the production line. These tools are not usually published by the NIC/motherboard manufacturers.

If you only want to change the MAC temporarily, most NIC drivers do support making a change. You may be entering the MAC in an invalid format or the driver may not support making a change. As far as the change being rejected because the MAC is already in use on your network - that won't happen. You can have duplicate MAC addresses on a network, you will just get weird problems, but your OS won't validate the MAC before applying it.

Depending on the type of spoofing you want to do, you might try something like Cain and Abel.

HTH

h810799

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

thnx for the reply,

it does support mac changing, it does change when i insert my other PC's MAC address , but when i insert my iPhone MAC address it doesn't take effect/change.

PS. i know my way around networking a bit. :p