Integrated GPU overheating and Really fracking things up!!!!!

cuddlefish

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Ok Im going to try and simplify my situation because it would take forever to explain in detail.

HP p6000 desktop prebuilt a few years old. M2N68-LA MOBO

1. My computer shut off several days ago and wouldnt boot. I finally got into the repair console from a boot disk. What I thought thought it was telling me is that I had bad sectors on the boot portion or my HDD.

2. I buy new HDD install windows and the computer freezes on the windows logo where its about to actually start windows. I decide to try removing my fairly new HIS 7850 GPU... (I also noticed during all of this that my GPU fan would not kick in on its own... If i gave it a spin with my finger it would spin so I believe i need to send it in for a replacement). With the 7850 GPU removed the computer boots to windows but is still all fracked up and freezing etc...

3. Now that my 7850 GPU is out I was able to see another heat sink... I figure this is the integrated GPU(I guessed right). I touch the heat sink and it is super hot(Hurts to keep my finger on the fins).

4. I go to my laptop and download speedfan and burn it to a dvd. I put a box fan on the highest setting next to my open computer tower. I boot windows and everything wrks great. I install speedfan and wasnt sure what I was looking at because all it said was temp 1, temp 2, etc... everything looked normal.

5. I do thesystem updates for windows(there were 102 of them). Upon rebooting and starting up speedfan it now shows the specific temp for my onboard integrated graphics at 54 degrees c(also has a flame next to it which I assume means its to hot). This is with a box fan blowing into the tower at the highest setting while the computer idles in windows.

6. I turn the fan off and the integrated graphics jumps up to 70 degrees very quickly. I turn box fan back on and it goes back down to 54 where is stabilizes. This was all while the computer idles in windows.

Now the integrated graphics would have gotten hotter but I turned the fan back on because I was worried that I would damage something if I didnt cool it down. Im assuming I have found the problem?

What is the correct way to fix the problem? I would like to fix it correctly... I have seen that some people attach a fan to the heat sink although that seems difficult because there isnt anwywhere for me to attach a fan to in this case.

Am I going to have to replace the whole motherboard to correct this issue(as long as it actually is the issue). What type of replacement motherboard would work in this case? Woudl I be able to use my old processor on a new motherboard?

Within the lst year I have upgraded the Power supply to a OCZ Modstream Pro 600W... To power the previously mentioned HIS 7850. Today before installing the HDD I did put new thermal compound on the cpu which seems to be working fine. I did not do this to the GPU heat sink although the heat sink is getting plenty hot so I dont think that is the problem.

If I in deed need to get a new motherboard would it be better to get a new larger case and cannibalize this current machine for parts or just replace the MOBO... I have never done anything like this before.

I would really like some help in figuring out where to go from here. Any help is greatly appreciated guys thanks.

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

First , your mobo (PCIe x16 1.0 ) does not support a card like HD 7850 which is PCIe 3.0 ......your bandwith was limited to almost half or less of what the card can give. Second , have you contacted Hp about this ? Third , did this problem exist before you bought that card.And last , Making the fan rotate by the hand to initiate the cooling does not refers to defective card - It referes to insufficient power which will be damaging the card internally gradually.

cuddlefish

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hey a little update. Just noticed the specific model of my computer it is a HP p6214 product number is NY621AA#ABA. The MOBO might be slightly different than previously stated because of the different model number. I notice there are several variations of the M2N78-LA.

This may change things. I do remember asking on these forums and peopl telling me that this is what I should get. Im sure it was an acceptable set up. I installed. I installed a new 600W power supply with the GPU to make sure it had plenty of power.

This all worked fine for about a year. How would I chek to see if the card isnt getting enough power before I send it in? Do you think my power supply is bad?

Back to other issue what do I do about the integrated graphics?

Dont listen to the other guy saying its incompatible due to it being pci-e 3.0. Its backwards compatible like USB is. Im gonna guess your CPU cooler is full of dust and gunk. Probably could use fresh thermal grease as well. Thats why when you turn off your box fan it heats up. Even a little bit of airflow over the bits inside cool them off quite a bit. If you dont know how to do this, take it a local shop and have them do it. And dont let them charge you an arm and a leg for it.

cuddlefish

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Actually I had already cleaned out the CPU heatsink and applied thermal grease yesterday before I installed windows on the new hard drive. The CPU temps read fine... The integrated graphics is what is reading hot. CPU temps are staying within normal ranges.

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Read before you write. I told the card will work at half the bandwith - not at its full speed. everyone knows that any PCIe card is compatible with a PCIe slot- what everyone don't know is how badly a card may affect a particular mobo in incompatibility and power insufficiency cases.And stop confusing people. Integrated Graphics overheat has nothing to do with a CPU cooling - paste or cooler.
I do think the mobo may be bad though - but still the OP should show his mobo to a local shop or something. And yeah , try the 7850 on with another PSU for one more time .

I will bet that hot heatsink is either the northbridge or southbridge.
It it really hot, it is almost certainly on its way out.

I had a southbridge fail and it was running very hot before it died.

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

I think its the northbridge as geforce chipsets with one standard PCIe 16x slot is generally attached with northbridge for better speed.

G

PCIe versions are all backward compatible with each other, whichever part (motherboard or GPU) has the lowest speed, that is what the system runs at, on this system, i doubt the cpu is capable of feeding enough data to the GPU to use the entire PCIe 1.0 x16 bandwidth anyway unless he has a phenom x4 or similar :p even so it's not that much of a problem, this guys problem is the chipset overheating, not the 7850 :)

G

PCIe Slots all provide the same amount of power (75w ish from what i know) even 1x slots provide same power. And it cant harm the motherboard, the only thing that would happen is the machine wouldnt come on at all and just show a warning like "Connect GPU to power supply" like mine does if i dont connect it up. If the PSU is dead, then it would cut out randomly

G

Look at this picture;
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01925534#N119

There is only one chipset, so its probably a combo chipset doing absolutely everything that the CPU doesnt do, chipsets generally get hot anyway, so this one is going to be even hotter, at 70c and up its too hot though.

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

well if the chipset was a combo a gpu card is must and would be prescribed as a must by the manufacturer as precaution.I could not find anything like that.moreover the op is facing trouble not from the beginning - but after he took out the card.

cuddlefish

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Im not sure on some of the terminology that you guys are using because im not as exerienced but it sounds like most everybody is in agreement that my MOBO is bad?

That picture that you posted is pretty close to my motherboard with some slight differences... I have 4 slots for ram instead of only the 2 but just about everything else is correct.

Would it helpyou guys to help me i I ran some more tests to figure out what the problem was?

The computer ran fine for years prior to putting the graphics card in and then ran fine for another year after putting it and the new power supply in.

I dont have another computer to try the 7850 in but I have the old 300W power supply. Could I power the 7850 with my old power supply while leaving everything else connected to the current power supply to see if it will spin the fans on its own?(this would just be to test the fans on the 7850/power supply)

I can try to boot off the old HDD that i thought was going bad to see if it works now that i removed the 7850 and have a box fan blowing on the inegrated gpu?

I dont know im just throwing out ideas of things to test... what do you guys think is the next logical step for me to take?

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

basically what simple common sense says is somehow your mobo had not adapted your gpu - how i dare not say as some will jump on me and this thread would never end - to be diplomatic i would recommend you 2 things - just pair that gpu with any other pc with suffucient power and pcie3 slot. and dont plug in your old psu back. i bet your gpu would work - just find a friend or a relative's pc...but yeah now yoy need to change the mobo for the good of you as well as hd 7850.

G

From the quote you posted, he says he has a 300w psu, that is not enough, so the system won't boot, you need at least a 400w psu to boot (booting draws a lot of power before everything settles to idle).

And for goodness sakes, forget about PCIe revisions (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 etc) , they're all backwards compatible, power is same, only difference is bandwidth, PCIe1 slot will work flawlessly with PCIe3 card, likewise PCIe3 slot with PCIe1 card. The only problem is likely to be the power supply, AMD cards suck tonnes of juice so will need a good PSU (at LEAST 400w for a 7850) The rating on a PSU is usually just it's short term max power, say a 400w psu could supply 400w for a few seconds when the system boots up etc, but could not hold out the full 400w for any length of time.

In leymans terms;
-Forget about PCIe versions and bandwidths (any x16 card will work in x16 slot as long as it physically fits)
-Get a decent PSU, do not run the 7850 on the 300w psu, if it blows, it could kill your entire system. If you have a quality brand (antec, corsair etc.) that's at least 400w (preferably more) try that, if not, get one!

G

Can i not edit my posts here? :( appologies for multiple posts (mods u can merge if you want)

Wrong motherboard... this one is his motherboard! http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01635734&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N223

And it appears this board supports the integrated gpu and the pcie card displaying at the same time, so when you boot up, move your video cable between the integrated and the 7850, seeing if either of them give video output.

The fan not spinning up is probably just due to the fact that the card is cold so it could be at 20% fan power (something low) and just not spinning up. Nothing wrong with the card (my 660Ti's fans actually stop when idle) and they aren't broken.

cuddlefish

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I am not using a 300w PSU... I have a 600w PSU.

I was referring to using the 300w to test whether or not the currently installed 600 power supply was having issues.

I get video out of each by connecting the monitor cable... Its just with the gpu in it wouldnt boot windows and when took it out the onboard gpu was overheating.

I think im going to get a new motherboard but im not sure what to get. Would i be able to get a more modern mobo that would fit into this tower? Or would it be better to buy a new case and use tehe good parts from my current system?

Ive never bought a motherboard or done anything this involved before so I apolagize if these are somewhat noobish questions....

Would I be able to use my processor in a more modern mobo