Help in choosing GPU + PSU or motherboard + CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

malloyd

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 Intel Celeron M 370 (1.5Ghz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB 37R7Y71
running Windows XP. Use is normal home computing, no gaming,

Question, can I replace the CPU and Motherboard, etc to upgrade? I do not want to go through the hassle of reinstalling all the software on a new P.C.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Lloyd
Austin, TX
malloyd1@aol.com

Solution

Yes, no one wants to reinstall their operating system. Even if it means you will have more headaches and ultimately will not be able to run that OS after changing the hardware, people are still reluctant to re-install. My advice is if you make significant hardware changes such as the motherboard, just do yourself a favor and reinstall the OS.
Even...

firo420

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
If you dont want to reinstall a new operating system i think upgrading with xp is silly just keep what you have xp dosnt need much to run and hasnt been supported in ages, you wouldnt even fully take advantage of new hardware with that operating system

Yes, no one wants to reinstall their operating system. Even if it means you will have more headaches and ultimately will not be able to run that OS after changing the hardware, people are still reluctant to re-install. My advice is if you make significant hardware changes such as the motherboard, just do yourself a favor and reinstall the OS.
Even Microsoft considers a new motherboard to mean a new computer.

However if you wish to keep the old mobo and install a new CPU, that won't require a fresh install. But you would have to get a CPU that works with that aging board, which may not be easy or even recommended at this point. Also older ram is much more expensive than DDR3 memory. There are a few things to consider, but I think its wise for you to think about a platform upgrade. You are going to save yourself some time, money, and hassle if you plan a platform upgrade.

This may not require a power supply upgrade. Its quite possible to simply get a new mobo, CPU, and ram for about $200 and have a modern PC. Since no gaming, a video card isn't necessary. I think a core i3/ H61/DDR3 combo would do wonders for you.

Also you should really think about a WIN7 upgrade. Xp was a fine OS in its time, but it isn't really supported well now. Also, WIN7 is a great deal more secure. My Dad was a big fan of XP and never wanted to get rid of it, until he used some of my WIN7 machines. Really, its in your best interests to migrate at this time.
At any rate, thats the best advice I can give.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

^ This is sound advice.

To add to that, NEVER post your real name in a public international forum......email address is a bad enough idea, leaves you open to all kinds of spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.