Sign in with
Your question

Computer is underpreforming considering build.

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2012 11:40:37 PM

Hello, Battlefield 3, GTA 4, Batman Arkham Asylum, Saints Row 2, and other games lag regardless of the settings.
Adobe Premiere and After effects cs4 constantly crash while editing HD video without effects.
All drivers up to date.
Scanned for viruses using unhackme.
Defragged Hard drive.

CPU: intel core i7 cpu 930 @ 2.8GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
Mobo: EVGA 132-BL-E758
HD: WD caviar black 1 TB
Power: 800 watts

Did i do something wrong? Like are some of these not compatible?
January 8, 2012 11:51:06 PM

Also what extensions/codecs are you using when it crashes?

What is the crash message that appears if any?

However though my other question is how long has it been since installed windows last?
Because since other things are running slowly as well it sounds like there are clearly other issues going on.

Also download malwarebytes and run a scan please. Then also download another anti-virus program like avast because from what I've read unhackme only primarily detects rootkits (Mainly TDL-4) and other various hooked system functions.

I actually use cs4 and cs5.5 premiere pro after effects all the time at work on a windows based system and I rarely ever have it crash at all. I edit a lot with 720p and 1080p clips quite often although most of the time I use 720x480 SD footage. My original edit system was extremely similar to yours except I had a i7 920 instead of a 930. My GPU was also less powerful. My main questions is have you updated premiere to v 4.2.1. If my memory serves me correctly that is the most current version of premiere pro for cs4. I know in the original version of premiere 4.0.0 it was extremely unstable. So check and make sure you have every single update installed.
m
l
January 9, 2012 12:00:57 AM

xyricks said:
Hello, Battlefield 3, GTA 4, Batman Arkham Asylum, Saints Row 2, and other games lag regardless of the settings.
Adobe Premiere and After effects cs4 constantly crash while editing HD video without effects.
All drivers up to date.
Scanned for viruses using unhackme.
Defragged Hard drive.

CPU: intel core i7 cpu 930 @ 2.8GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
Mobo: EVGA 132-BL-E758
HD: WD caviar black 1 TB
Power: 800 watts

Did i do something wrong? Like are some of these not compatible?

I would check on EVGA site to make sure there isnt a bug fix for the bios that could be causing an issue. I have had that issue with EVGA before. Other than that, what drivers did you use, did you download them from the website or did you use the ones of the disk. Updated drivers for everything is also a good place to start. I wouldn't start faulting the hardware until you have narrowed down all the software possibilities.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2012 4:19:23 AM

I updated Adobe Premiere and it works perfectly now (Thanks) I'm in the process of fixing (I hope) the bios. Its an update from EVGA's website that I'm currently downloading.
m
l
January 9, 2012 9:32:17 PM

xyricks said:
I updated Adobe Premiere and it works perfectly now (Thanks) I'm in the process of fixing (I hope) the bios. Its an update from EVGA's website that I'm currently downloading.

I'm glad to hear I was able to help you get premiere fixed. Also make sure to update Adobe media encoder as well otherwise every time you export you'll run into possible issues. You'll also have less export options if you don't update, so make sure to download all the updates for that as well.

I'd also like to suggest that if the possible MOBO firmware update/driver updates for other parts etc. doesn't fix the issue. You should really download malwarebytes and Avast and run scans with both of those because unhackme is primarily only for detecting root-kits (Like TDL-4 or Zeus and many others). Plus in my personal experience whenever you rely on only one program you'll probably end up missing some stuff.

For instance a few months ago a friend of mine got a virus. I had to run scans with avast,avg,super anti-spyware, spy-bot S&D, and then finally after finding nothing with all those. I scanned his system with malwarebytes and it found and removed the problem and removed it. So I always use multiple programs to run scans with when updating drivers and other normal avenues to correct the issue don't work.

Then if all else fails I simply reinstall/restore windows from a system image.
m
l
!