Sign in with
Your question

Review/Advice on First Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2012 11:53:40 PM

Hi guys, I am planning to build my first PC, so I'm quite new to all this. Please review/advise me on the parts i have chosen.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP, Hopefully this week

Budget Range: £1500 - £1700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies, Microsoft office stuff

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Scan, Amazon

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia

Overclocking: Would like to try mild overclocking

SLI or Crossfire: Yes in the future

The parts i have chosen are:

Case
NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Black Full Tower Chassis £105

I also like the Dragon Rider, although I have read several reviews about bad cable management, any ideas on this case?

CPU
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K £168 Amazon

Motherboard
ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 £149 Amazon

Memory
Corsair Memory Vengeance LP Arctic White 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop £42

Hard Drive
Seagate 1Tb SATA 3 £95

Graphics Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Super Clocked 1536MB GDDR5 NVIDIA Graphics Card £384

Power Supply
Corsair 1050HX Professional Series Silver HX 1050W £158

Optical Drive
Samsung Blu-Ray Combo, SH-B123L/RSBP, SATA £47 Amazon

Cooling
NZXT Havik CPU Cooler £54

Monitor
Asus VE278Q 27" LED Monitor £240 Amazon

Operating System
Windows 7 Premium £119

At the moment my total is around £1600, I would like to keep some parts eg. Case, PSU for the next couple builds.
Is this build ok? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you for you time.

More about : review advice build

January 9, 2012 12:14:26 AM

Overall it isn't bad but I would ditch a few things to save money. W7 Ultimate isn't worth the price tag and you won't miss the features over Home Premium. I'd also drop down to 750W of power as 1000W for your system is obviously overkill unless you plan on liquid cooling.

You could switch to a 23 inch monitor if you want to save money. I'm using a 23 inch screen and I think its the perfect size. Sitting in front of a 27' monitor is most likely going to bother your eyes. SSD's are starting to become reasonably priced so you can use all the money saved towards an SSD and use the 1TB as a storage drive. But like I said before what you have isn't bad, you are just spending more than what you need.

Oh and the Phantom isn't a bad case. If you like the look of it you should grab it.
January 9, 2012 12:40:34 AM

BohleyK said:
Overall it isn't bad but I would ditch a few things to save money. W7 Ultimate isn't worth the price tag and you won't miss the features over Home Premium. I'd also drop down to 750W of power as 1000W for your system is obviously overkill unless you plan on liquid cooling.

You could switch to a 23 inch monitor if you want to save money. I'm using a 23 inch screen and I think its the perfect size. Sitting in front of a 27' monitor is most likely going to bother your eyes. SSD's are starting to become reasonably priced so you can use all the money saved towards an SSD and use the 1TB as a storage drive. But like I said before what you have isn't bad, you are just spending more than what you need.

Oh and the Phantom isn't a bad case. If you like the look of it you should grab it.

Thank you for the quick reply, switching windows to premium will save me £50+ so i will do that. In case i want to SLI sometime in the future, do you think 750w will be enough and for future upgrades as well?

I thought about getting a 23", but i thought 27" might be better as i wanted to connect my ps3 on it too.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Related resources
January 9, 2012 2:39:34 AM

A single 580 will push the limits of just about any game out there. You won't need to SLI with a 580. People that do SLI 580's are often enthusiasts where money is not a factor and frame rates need to be around 60FPS+ almost constantly. Or they are running multiple monitors. If you did want to SLI 580's you'd want 850W to be safe with breathing room.

If you wanted to wait a bit longer AMD's 7000 series releases this week I believe. The benches are out, read on. Of coarse this won't affect NVIDIA's price tags. They always hold out because people tend to buy them regardless.
January 9, 2012 8:39:10 AM

BohleyK said:
If you wanted to wait a bit longer AMD's 7000 series releases this week I believe. The benches are out, read on. Of coarse this won't affect NVIDIA's price tags. They always hold out because people tend to buy them regardless.

Thank you, I heard alot about the 7000 series but never really looked into it, i will do some research on that.
January 9, 2012 9:28:55 AM

As you mentioned, you are going to use machine mostly for games....
So I will suggest two ATI Radeon HD 6850 cards in CrossFire instead of GTX 580.
GTX 580 is very good card but it is costly.

Price / Performance for HD6850 is very good.
You can get one HD6850 for £137.62 Inc VAT.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-sapphire-hd-6850-vap...

So if you go with this, you will have high-performance setup and you will be able to save nearly £100 to invest in other parts like SSD.
January 9, 2012 11:15:16 AM

rog02 said:
As you mentioned, you are going to use machine mostly for games....
So I will suggest two ATI Radeon HD 6850 cards in CrossFire instead of GTX 580.
GTX 580 is very good card but it is costly.

Price / Performance for HD6850 is very good.
You can get one HD6850 for £137.62 Inc VAT.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-sapphire-hd-6850-vap...

So if you go with this, you will have high-performance setup and you will be able to save nearly £100 to invest in other parts like SSD.

Would you recommend that to 2 x 560 ti?
January 10, 2012 3:25:10 AM

tooreansadid said:

GTX 560 Ti is better than HD 6850. But it will cost you more. Check the price of 560 Ti.
Two 560 Ti cards in SLI are definitely better than two HD6850 in CF.
January 10, 2012 8:00:13 AM

rog02 said:
GTX 560 Ti is better than HD 6850. But it will cost you more. Check the price of 560 Ti.
Two 560 Ti cards in SLI are definitely better than two HD6850 in CF.

Thank you. Think i have to do some more researches on Graphic cards. Although Im leaning towards the nvidia choices just because i prefer them alot more :) 
January 10, 2012 9:22:32 AM

tooreansadid said:
Although Im leaning towards the nvidia choices just because i prefer them alot more :) 

I owned two nvidia graphics cards previously and currently using ATI Radeon HD6850. I enjoyed playing games on all of these cards. So its matter of choice.

From my point of view, what matters is what performance you are getting at your budget. So if your budget is say $350-$400, and you are confused with ATI Radeon? OR Nvidia? then you can go by either of following ways:

1) Look for single cards which have price tags in this range.
2) Compare performance of cards you selected.
3) Buy one which is best suited for your needs.

OR

1) Look for single cards which have price tags in $175-$200.
2) Compare performance of cards you selected.
3) Buy two cards.

In second case you are definitely going to get more performance than first case and for same amount of money.

January 10, 2012 9:28:25 AM

tooreansadid said:

Also if you are leaning towards 560 Ti, then at that price tag, you can get HD6950 1GB.
Compare these cards and then decide which one you need.

Its not that completed to choose between ati or nvidia. You will enjoy games on both cards. :) 
January 10, 2012 1:28:02 PM

I am working on a build and I have the same options on the graphics cards. Either of you care to compare and contrat these two graphics cards and maybe add some info about AMDs new 7000 series. I like the AMDs because of familiarity with them growing up, but I do video editing and multiscreen is nice, plus NVidia has the CUDA technology. What say you?
January 10, 2012 3:39:59 PM

I still recommend a single GPU setup. You're not using multiple monitors so I don't see the sense in having two GPU's and having to deal with the potential problems that can occur using them.

I'd grab the 7970 since you can afford it as its the best single GPU on the market. Or if you really must have NVIDIA, the GTX580.
January 10, 2012 4:20:19 PM

varonecl said:
I like the AMDs because of familiarity with them growing up, but I do video editing and multiscreen is nice, plus NVidia has the CUDA technology. What say you?

well all the computers/laptops ive had always been Nvidia, so ive always been confident with nvidia and have always been quite impress with their performance :) 
January 10, 2012 4:30:02 PM

BohleyK said:
I still recommend a single GPU setup. You're not using multiple monitors so I don't see the sense in having two GPU's and having to deal with the potential problems that can occur using them.

I'd grab the 7970 since you can afford it as its the best single GPU on the market. Or if you really must have NVIDIA, the GTX580.

I was thinking of sticking to one graphic card too, and your right i wont be using multiple monitors. The 7970 is the best card but its almost £150+ and only 15% performance increase from the gtx 580, so i think i will stick with the gtx 580 :)  Thank you very much for your advices.
January 10, 2012 4:30:47 PM

Thank you guys for all your ideas and advices, i really appreciate it :D 
!