Sign in with
Your question

Desktop CPU fan loud and spinning fast

Last response: in CPUs
April 21, 2012 2:46:06 AM

For the past 3-4 days, my cpu fan has been running loud and fast. I have an AMD athlon II x3 435 2.9 ghz processor. This didn't happen like last week. The max my cpu temps will run is 50C on high load. My computer used to run at 31C on idle but now its like 38C-40C on idle. I monitor the speed of the fan and temps by using speedfan. When I watch videos or game, my fan speed goes up to 5000+ RPM. How do I fix this??

EDIT:

I have the stock AMD fan/heatsink.
AMD Cool n quiet disabled
NOT OVERCLOCKED
Recently re-applied arctic silver 5 paste just a few weeks ago
Started happening 3-4 days after I downloaded 2 games and played them.
It is SUMMER and HOT over where i live now. Current weather temps are 85+ degrees

EDIT EDIT:

Just cleaned off old thermal paste and re-applied.
When computer booted up, it was at 3333 RPM ish.
Now it's at 4000+ RPM on idle for a good hour.
Ever since the the weather became hot this happened..
April 21, 2012 2:58:01 AM

clean the heatsink and fan, they are most likely stuffed with dust.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2012 2:58:16 AM

solo2o9 said:
For the past 3-4 days, my cpu fan has been running loud and fast. I have an AMD athlon II x3 435 2.9 ghz processor. This didn't happen like last week. The max my cpu temps will run is 50C on high load. My computer used to run at 31C on idle but now its like 38C-40C on idle. I monitor the speed of the fan and temps by using speedfan. When I watch videos or game, my fan speed goes up to 5000+ RPM. How do I fix this??

You can try and change the fan speed settings in your bios.
m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2012 3:05:55 AM

nikolarun said:
clean the heatsink and fan, they are most likely stuffed with dust.

I cleaned it a few weeks ago.

@randomhkkid

I'll try!
m
l
April 21, 2012 10:00:21 PM

bump
m
l
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 121 À AMD
April 21, 2012 10:47:32 PM

Generally speaking, when the ambient temperature goes up so does the operating temps because the heatsink is less capable of dissipating the heat. If you have air conditioning, then turning it on will lower the ambient temps and will allow the heatsink to dissipate heat more effectively.

The other option is to invest money in a newer and larger CPU heatsink to help bring down your CPU temps. Getting something wil quiet fans will help reduce noise as well.
m
l
April 21, 2012 10:53:45 PM

Blah, I can't turn on the air condition on all the time haha.

I think I'll just look at new heatsinks/fans. But, are there any that doesn't require you to remove your motherboard and install the plate on the back of it? I really don't want to have to remove everything.

I just want a simple one where you just install it on to the CPU.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 21, 2012 10:58:09 PM

Quote:
But, are there any that doesn't require you to remove your motherboard and install the plate on the back of it?

Most (if not all) aftermarket coolers require that, unfortunately. Reason being is that they're much beefier and therefore heavier and require the extra mounting plate for stability and to avoid warping the mobo.
m
l
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 121 À AMD
April 21, 2012 11:13:28 PM

The best ones require you to remove your motherboard and install the back plate. You need to buy a large heatsink in a hot environment because the larger surface area will help dissipate the heat.

The monsterous Noctua NH-D14 is a good heatsink with quiet fans, but it is large and expensive; $96.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There's the ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme which is good and quiet. At $53 after rebate it is also cheaper than the Noctua.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I use an old Tuniq Tower (big and heavy) to actively cool my Q9450 and passively cool (no fans) my old Intel Conroe C2D E6600 CPUs.
m
l
April 21, 2012 11:28:56 PM

I don't want a 120mm HSF because it won't fit on my tiny case+motherboard.

I would prefer a small 80mm or 90-92mm hsf. I know they aren't good to keep the system cool but I am okay with the stock AMD fan and it cools my pc just fine. I just need a small hsf that is quiet.
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:21:00 AM

On a side note:

What is a CPU smart fan target? Mine is disabled.

If i enable it, I would have to choose between 40C, 45C, 50C, 55C, and 60C.
After i choose one of the above, I have a choice to choose the min. percentage of how much it'll spin I think.
m
l
a c 119 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 22, 2012 3:35:35 AM

op you turned off cool and quiet forcing your fan to run at max speed. enable it in bios and install the cool and quiet app from ati/amd you should then get thermally controlled fan speeds back.
m
l
April 22, 2012 5:33:36 AM

I enabled cool n quiet and now my idle temp went down to 36C as opposed to 40C-42C. Fan stays at 4000RPM at idle still.
m
l
April 22, 2012 7:08:21 PM

After enabling cool n quiet, I played a game and then it gave me a blue screen. I then turned cool n quiet off and decided to turn CPU smart fan target on in bios. There is no "enabled" option as it gives me different listing of temps ranging from 40c-60c.

I chose 50c and then it told me to choose the min. rpm rate. I chose 37.5% or whatever. When I booted up, it was still loud until it went to the windows screen. I saw in speedfan that the CPU fan rpm was dropping. Now the rpm is at 2000-3000RPM. Even when I gamed, the fan never went to 4000RPM. Thank god.
m
l
a c 119 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 22, 2012 8:17:35 PM

set the min temp to as low as it will go and the max temp no higher than 50.
re-enable cool and quiet also as well as the fan control... hopefully this will solve it completely.

m
l
!