Help with instability

joshybjoshy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
HI All,

I recently built my own PC about 3 months ago and recently I have started noticing problems. Sometimes when i go to open Itunes or Arcsoft media it will not open for about 20 mins or recognise USB that is input when system is up i.e iphone. Strangely the other day when it did it i opened the disc drive to put a game in and they both popped up at the sametime?very strange

I have uninstalled drivers and reinstalled and still no better. The other day when shutting down it took ages and then went to blue screen with a message along the lines of a thing to do about power. Then a couple of days later when I logged into windows it was just a black screen for a while. After resetting about 5 times it finally loaded after about 5 mins.

I am currently using the turbo key on the motherboard to run it 3.8ghz. I did manually overclock it but it wasn't stable and I wasn't 100% so i reset the bios to original settings and used the turbo mode in Bios.

PC specs below

AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1100T Black Edition 3.30GHz (Socket AM3)
Asus M5A97 PRO AMD 970 (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard
Antec TruePower New Modular 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT25664BA1339)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler (Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1155/1156/1366)
LG GH22NS70 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
I GTX560 Twin FroZr 3gb oc edition
6x coolermaster sickleflow fans so no cooling problems

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? could it be a Ram problem?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Could be a PSU problem, RAM problem, or motherboard issue.

Do you have any friends that will allow you to use their system as a test bed? Any computer will work. Swap out PSUs with theirs (provided they have a strong enough PSU) and see if it works without issues. If issues persist, I would download and run memtest 86 for a few passes one memory stick at a time to see if it passes. If it passes, then I would download a diagnostic piece bootable from BIOS/CD/USB that will scan the HDD for any errors. If the HDD passes, I would RMA the motherboard.

Edit: Does this happen when your processor is at stock settings? I would stop any overclocking, turbo boosted or not, and see if the problem persists.

joshybjoshy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I will give it a try, I have remembered what the error said when i got BSOD it was driver state power failure it that gives any clues

joshybjoshy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I have tried that but nothing at all, How would you check the dump files for errors?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
As I'm not on my home computer, I can't check. However, this might also be due to a error with drivers conflicting with each other. Google how to check the dump files, then put down what it says. It should tell you exactly what is failing and causing the issue.

joshybjoshy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I will give it a try when i get home. ive got a feeling its a bluetooth usb adapter i have plugged in causing the problem

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
It just might be. Unplug it and uninstall it's drivers for a bit (if that is possible). If there are no blue screens for a few days then its safe to assume that the adapter is the issue.