Cheap HTPC build

I'm wanting to build an HTPC. I like AMD products, and was ljust need the folowing: Linux compatibility, which is much easier than most think. I need a blu-ray playing capability, and a player as well. I would prefer it to be an AMD product. I'm fine with Phenom or APU, but don't care for Athlon unless the price would be less with an Athlon. I also need 4gb of ram, and an hdd. 500gb would be a great place to start, but would like more if there is a cheap deal somewhere.
6 answers Last reply
More about cheap htpc build
  1. I also need a PSU, forgot to mention that. I also had one build before this that had an Asrock mobo with sideport memory (obviously that's not being used anymore), 4gb of ddr2 ram, and a Phenom II X3. It did alright, but once in a while while playing LOTRO, the graphics would slow down. I blame it mostly on slow internet.
  2. Sorry, once more. I was looking for a price range under $400. If I can get it for $300, that would be sweet, but am willing to go past $400 if I feel like it. And I'm not going to waste money on an SSD.
  3. Try this. The only thing you have to keep in mind with OEM burners is that they include no software for burning or playback - if you want something more you'll have to go with LITE-ON or something similar.

Case: nMediaPC Black Aluminum 6000B - $69.99
    PSU: Corsair CX430 - $39.99
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H - $99.99
    CPU: 2.6GHz AMD Llano Quad Core A6-3650 - $129.99
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1333MHz 1.5V - $29.99
    HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM - $99.99
    Optical: LG Super Multi - $79.99

Total: $534.93
  4. I think I'm going to hold off on the blu ray player for right now. The way technology moves in Idaho can be really slow. I'd think that after 4 or 5 years of releasing blu ray players, that the price difference would drop more than it has. And I'm going to go with the AMD APU. I was going to go with my old setup, but the price of DDR2 is ridiculous compared to DDR3.
  5. ezzep123 said:
    I think I'm going to hold off on the blu ray player for right now. The way technology moves in Idaho can be really slow. I'd think that after 4 or 5 years of releasing blu ray players, that the price difference would drop more than it has. And I'm going to go with the AMD APU. I was going to go with my old setup, but the price of DDR2 is ridiculous compared to DDR3.

A couple of things - I'm surprised you can even get DDR2 anymore, pretty much any board made after 2007 supports DDR-3. :lol:

The second is that shouldn't matter whether local prices can affect whether or not you can get a BD-R player. You can get one from Newegg for like $59 anymore, optical drives are so cheap anymore.
  6. :bounce:

Awesome post. I already built mine 8 months ago.

I have documented my computer built on my blog at http://www.cool-technology.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-build-cheap-htpc-home-theater.html

Keep up the great work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build AMD Systems Product