US GSM service question

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.

Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.

Thanks in advance
14 answers Last reply
More about service question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    On 5 Aug 2004 21:56:17 -0700, elgato65@hotmail.com (Franco) wrote:

    >I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
    >would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
    >provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
    >
    >Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
    >the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
    >purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.

    T-Mobile Easy Speak or AT&T Wireless Go Phone. Not sure if you can
    just get SIM only with Go Phone.
    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    You can purchase T-Mobile pre-paid simcard. Not sure about AT&T Wireless,
    try checking their website

    "Franco" <elgato65@hotmail.com> ???????/???????? ? ???????? ?????????:
    > I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
    > would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
    > provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
    >
    > Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
    > the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
    > purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.
    >

    > Thanks in advance
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> writes:

    > On 5 Aug 2004 21:56:17 -0700, elgato65@hotmail.com (Franco) wrote:
    >
    > >I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
    > >would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
    > >provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
    > >
    > >Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
    > >the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
    > >purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.
    >
    > T-Mobile Easy Speak or AT&T Wireless Go Phone. Not sure if you can
    > just get SIM only with Go Phone.

    I just purchased a SIM only (Go Phone) from my local ATTWS store. It
    cost me $20 for $20 worth of time. The SIM was effectively free.

    Theo.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    On 5 Aug 2004 21:56:17 -0700, elgato65@hotmail.com (Franco) wrote:

    >I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
    >would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
    >provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
    >
    >Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
    >the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
    >purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.
    >

    >Thanks in advance
    I think both AT&T and T-mobil sell prepaids that will provide the
    coverage you want.

    >Not sure if you can
    >just get SIM only with Go Phone.

    Go phone requires that you buy the kit - includes a phone.

    --
    John S.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    You can buy one in a store when you get here, or you can order them on
    the net before you leave. http://www.expansys.com has them...they also
    have websites in a lot of other countries. And I'm sure there are tons
    of other places...even eBay has them :)

    Franco wrote:
    > I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
    > would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
    > provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
    >
    > Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
    > the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
    > purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.
    >

    > Thanks in advance
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    cingular, t-mobile or ATT Wireless Sim cards in your Unlocked Phone
    best deal is on eBay.

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <20040806135715.11415.00001968@mb-m23.aol.com> on 06 Aug 2004 17:57:15 GMT,
    sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

    >>Not sure if you can
    >>just get SIM only with Go Phone.
    >
    >Go phone requires that you buy the kit - includes a phone.

    Not true. You can purchase just the SIM alone.

    "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    > >Go phone requires that you buy the kit - includes a phone.
    >
    > Not true. You can purchase just the SIM alone.

    For the same price though, right?

    Rudy

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <VEdSc.264373$JR4.188194@attbi_s54> on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:22:13 GMT, "R.
    P." <r_pol12gar@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >> >Go phone requires that you buy the kit - includes a phone.
    >>
    >> Not true. You can purchase just the SIM alone.
    >
    >For the same price though, right?

    No, less.

    "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    > >For the same price though, right?
    >
    > No, less.

    Interesting though that you can't find any plan prices listed for
    own-phone cases, unless I wasn't looking at the right places for them.

    Rudy

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <cmgSc.241422$IQ4.141608@attbi_s02> on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:27:04 GMT, "R.
    P." <r_pol12gar@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >> >For the same price though, right?
    >>
    >> No, less.
    >
    > Interesting though that you can't find any plan prices listed for
    >own-phone cases, unless I wasn't looking at the right places for them.

    Try an ATTWS store, where they're readily available.

    Since this will be my first time doing this, I have another question?
    I will be travelling to New York and Miami.
    Is ATT (or Cingular for that matter) coverage national. I mean, what
    kind of area code # would I get and would out of state rates apply
    both to incoming and/or outgoing calls?

    Thanks for clarifing this

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <836c7112.0408121043.6efd41aa@posting.google.com> on 12 Aug 2004 11:43:40
    -0700, elgato65@hotmail.com (Franco) wrote:

    >Since this will be my first time doing this, I have another question?
    >I will be travelling to New York and Miami.
    >Is ATT (or Cingular for that matter) coverage national. I mean, what
    >kind of area code # would I get and would out of state rates apply
    >both to incoming and/or outgoing calls?
    >
    >Thanks for clarifing this

    Details on ATTWS GoPhone are at <http://www.attwireless.com/personal/gophone/>

GSM Cell Phones Product