US GSM service question

Last response: in Technologies
Share
August 6, 2004 1:56:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.

Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.

Thanks in advance

More about : gsm service question

August 6, 2004 12:03:43 PM

On 5 Aug 2004 21:56:17 -0700, elgato65@hotmail.com (Franco) wrote:

>I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
>would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
>provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
>
>Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
>the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
>purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.

T-Mobile Easy Speak or AT&T Wireless Go Phone. Not sure if you can
just get SIM only with Go Phone.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:30:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

You can purchase T-Mobile pre-paid simcard. Not sure about AT&T Wireless,
try checking their website

"Franco" <elgato65@hotmail.com> ???????/???????? ? ???????? ?????????:
> I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
> would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
> provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
>
> Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
> the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
> purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.
>

> Thanks in advance
August 6, 2004 3:36:45 PM

Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 5 Aug 2004 21:56:17 -0700, elgato65@hotmail.com (Franco) wrote:
>
> >I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
> >would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
> >provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
> >
> >Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
> >the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
> >purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.
>
> T-Mobile Easy Speak or AT&T Wireless Go Phone. Not sure if you can
> just get SIM only with Go Phone.

I just purchased a SIM only (Go Phone) from my local ATTWS store. It
cost me $20 for $20 worth of time. The SIM was effectively free.

Theo.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 7:09:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

On 5 Aug 2004 21:56:17 -0700, elgato65@hotmail.com (Franco) wrote:

>I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
>would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
>provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
>
>Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
>the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
>purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.
>

>Thanks in advance
I think both AT&T and T-mobil sell prepaids that will provide the
coverage you want.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 9:57:15 PM

>Not sure if you can
>just get SIM only with Go Phone.

Go phone requires that you buy the kit - includes a phone.

--
John S.
August 7, 2004 12:54:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

You can buy one in a store when you get here, or you can order them on
the net before you leave. http://www.expansys.com has them...they also
have websites in a lot of other countries. And I'm sure there are tons
of other places...even eBay has them :)

Franco wrote:
> I will be travelling to the US (New York and Miami) in december and
> would like to use my quad band V525 while I am there with a local
> provider in order to avoid paying astronomical roaming fees.
>
> Does anybody know how I get around locating a cell phone provider in
> the US that will give me GSM coverage (prepaid?) without having to
> purchse a cell? I just need the SIM card.
>

> Thanks in advance
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 10:51:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

cingular, t-mobile or ATT Wireless Sim cards in your Unlocked Phone
best deal is on eBay.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 10:34:28 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <20040806135715.11415.00001968@mb-m23.aol.com> on 06 Aug 2004 17:57:15 GMT,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

>>Not sure if you can
>>just get SIM only with Go Phone.
>
>Go phone requires that you buy the kit - includes a phone.

Not true. You can purchase just the SIM alone.

August 11, 2004 4:22:13 AM

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> >Go phone requires that you buy the kit - includes a phone.
>
> Not true. You can purchase just the SIM alone.

For the same price though, right?

Rudy
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 4:43:23 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <VEdSc.264373$JR4.188194@attbi_s54> on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:22:13 GMT, "R.
P." <r_pol12gar@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> >Go phone requires that you buy the kit - includes a phone.
>>
>> Not true. You can purchase just the SIM alone.
>
>For the same price though, right?

No, less.

August 11, 2004 7:27:04 AM

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> >For the same price though, right?
>
> No, less.

Interesting though that you can't find any plan prices listed for
own-phone cases, unless I wasn't looking at the right places for them.

Rudy
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 7:46:12 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cmgSc.241422$IQ4.141608@attbi_s02> on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:27:04 GMT, "R.
P." <r_pol12gar@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> >For the same price though, right?
>>
>> No, less.
>
> Interesting though that you can't find any plan prices listed for
>own-phone cases, unless I wasn't looking at the right places for them.

Try an ATTWS store, where they're readily available.

August 12, 2004 3:43:40 PM

Since this will be my first time doing this, I have another question?
I will be travelling to New York and Miami.
Is ATT (or Cingular for that matter) coverage national. I mean, what
kind of area code # would I get and would out of state rates apply
both to incoming and/or outgoing calls?

Thanks for clarifing this
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 10:49:06 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <836c7112.0408121043.6efd41aa@posting.google.com> on 12 Aug 2004 11:43:40

Details on ATTWS GoPhone are at <http://www.attwireless.com/personal/gophone/&gt;