Seeking Helping With Upgrading My Video Card

ACooze

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hey all! I need help upgrading my video card.

I bought a PC from HP a year ago, and while most of the specs are fine, the graphics card is sub-par. I'm looking to spend at most $130 for a card and I've read on the website some good cards to get. My only concern is that I get a card that actually works for my system.

My Specs:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE - 400z

AMD Phenom II X4 830
ATI Radeon HD 5450
6gigs of RAM

If you need more info. please let me know! Thanks!

With a $130 budget, you are looking at something like a 6670, a nice jump in graphics power.

1) Will it fit in your case? Check the dimensions of the card vs. the space in your case. If your pc has a small form factor your gpu choices will be more limited.

2) You presumably have a pci-e x16 slot.

3) Go to the amd web site to get the requirements for your card. The 6670, for example needs a 450w psu with one 6 pin power lead.
Your psu will have a ul required data plate that enumerates the specs.

Because you are using a ati card now, I suggest you restrict your pick to another ati unit, not nvidia. That way, you will not have to change drivers, and can just drop the new card in.

Google 6850 length.
Here is a hit which gives the dimensions of several 6850 cards. As you can see, they have different dimensions, so search for the specific card you are interested in.
Then open up your case and measure.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6850-eah6850-ax6850,2794.html