Need advice for selecting new gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I am trying to choose a hour for a gaming rig and trying to choose between two cards. The asus 6850 and the gigabyte 6850. They are the same price and the only difference is clock speeds with the asus sporting 790 Mhz chipset and 4Ghz for the asus and 820Mhz chipset and 4.2Ghz memory speeds for the gigabyte. The gigabyte has higher speeds but the asus has many more reviews and better rep. Thanks guys :)

Solution
Hi Ferny.

Bot cards would be good for you. One is just slightly overclocked. You can overclock yourself as well. If you like Asus better than Gigabyte, you can do the overclocking yourself. It would be very simple to get the extra clock speed and memory speed.

If you don't want to mess with overclocking yourself, a factory OC'd card would be the better choice.

You should also read the reviews to see what people say about how well the coolers on each card do as far as temps and volume

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hi Ferny.

Bot cards would be good for you. One is just slightly overclocked. You can overclock yourself as well. If you like Asus better than Gigabyte, you can do the overclocking yourself. It would be very simple to get the extra clock speed and memory speed.

If you don't want to mess with overclocking yourself, a factory OC'd card would be the better choice.

You should also read the reviews to see what people say about how well the coolers on each card do as far as temps and volume

Solution

ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Well the thing is I so not know much of the gigabyte card. Personally I think the Asus and MSI OC software is great. The thing is, I do not know how well the gigabyte overclocks because I only found one or two reviews. I am leaning towards the Asus and the only reason I wanted to get feedback is because of the wind force technology. :(

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I got a 6950 from gigabyte for my friend's build with the windforce cooler. IT does a really nice job keeping things cool.

I would recommend it. MSI Afterburner works on a large number of cards and should work just fine with the gigabyte card.

Status
Not open for further replies.