Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Budget Gaming Desktop Ever!

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2012 6:59:12 AM

I've got one question and one question only. What is the best prebuilt gaming pc for under $800. It can be any brand: ibuypower, cyberpower, Asus, etc. Intel core i5, nvidia or amd gpu, must have windows 7 in budget. I will not build it, only buy. If monitor is included, I'll raise budget to $1000. As many options as possible please.

More about : budget gaming desktop

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2012 12:25:21 PM
January 9, 2012 2:22:28 PM

Bottom line really is your not going to get as much for your money unless you build yourself. Pre-built systems often come with cheap parts (motherboard, RAM and HDD especially).

If you need help building the system, NewEgg do a great 3 part video guide on youtube. Part 1 shows selecting components, Part 2 shows the actual build, Part 3 shows installing Software and drivers. Very in depth and very details with easy to follow methods. Search YouTube for "NewEgg How to build a computer" to find out more.
Score
Related resources
January 9, 2012 3:02:09 PM

Google custom computer builders. Notice the mystery PSU's they use? Video cards are usually useful for playing WoW. No OS, no monitor, no keyboard or mouse.
Score
January 9, 2012 3:11:35 PM

Yep to the above. I went to IBuyPower and could only use a i3-2100 and 6850 for your budget. I thought I could come closer to matching THG's latest $600 SBM build (i5-2400 + 6870). The problem with all of the vendors is that they charge a lot for each change you make to their base configuration.
Score
January 9, 2012 3:40:20 PM

Every time I try and piece together a PC on one of the big PC manufacturers websites I find myself disappointed with the price you pay for what amounts to questionable low quality parts. I have always felt that you get more bang for your buck by building a PC yourself.

Also TomsH forum members have a high bias towards building a PC from the ground up instead of purchasing a PC from a manufacturer. So all the answers you get will basically say the same thing... BUILD IT YOURSELF!

Notice you have 5 answers so far... and all of them tell you to build it yourself.
Score
January 9, 2012 4:18:32 PM

First off, I am with everyone on building it yourself. To answer your question, though: Buy a system and upgrade the video yourself.

If you must buy one, get the cheapest system you can get with a PCI-e video slot. This means buying a bottom of the line system with a separate graphics card. If you buy a system with Integrated graphics, you will likely not have the option to upgrade the video. Here is an example:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d...

not sure if the link will run direct, if it doesn't then go to dells xps line and get the cheapest one with the 6450 video card. note they charge you $140 to upgrade to a 6770, even though the card only costs 50 bucks more than the 6450 on newegg. Anyway, if you do something like this, and then STICK WITH THE SAME CHIP MAKER, either nvidia or amd, then it is SUPER EASY to upgrade the video: just take the old out, put in the new. Done, you don't even need to change the drivers.

That's the only way to get a fairly decent game system at or near your budget. You will still be paying 300 or 400 dollars more than you would building it yourself. ONE OTHER PROBLEM WITH THIS OPTION: The power supply may not be enough to handle a good video card. Check the specs. I don't think you can put more than a 6770 in this system I listed without changing it out. In fact, I just used the Dell as example, but I wouldn't do this kind of an upgrade with a Dell, as they have crap power supplies and proprietary motherboards. The Ibuypower someone else mentioned is a much better option, as none of the big names (dell, HP, sony, etc) will get you a good bang for the buck. Try this one for starters:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Adding a 6850 to the cart is still under your budget. Try to find a unit with an i3 or i5 and 500 watt or better power supply, then upgrade the video yourself.

You may want to check around town and see if there is computer shop that builds units and can do something for you.
Score
January 12, 2012 12:40:11 AM

Well if I was going to build a computer, I would have chosen this.

This was my intial build all from newegg:

-intel core i5 2500k

-Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboard GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

-Wintec One 8GB DDR3 1600

-AMD Radeon HD 6870

-OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

-Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

-HAF 912 or NZXT Tempest EVO

If there is any way I could get this build to under $1000 before rebates, that would be the best. Quick note, I already bought dvd drive, and internal media card. If anyone could build this and sell it on amazon, ebay or newegg, I would definetly buy it.
Score
January 12, 2012 2:00:12 AM

You can't get that build under $1,000, but you can do better than trying to buy a pre-built. The build by sosofm is about the best you can do.
Score
January 12, 2012 3:35:25 AM

Best answer selected by Jer1729.
Score
January 12, 2012 4:12:54 AM

I also realized the tax on all those items and shipping will reach a high margin.
Score
!