Sign in with
Your question

Dell d800 ppo1x power supply plug which post is hot?

Last response: in Components
April 21, 2012 8:40:06 AM

dell d800 ppo1x power supply plug which post is hot, which is common and which is that communication connection? they are arranged basically like this .'.
April 21, 2012 1:25:18 PM

come guys, help me out... SOMEBODY knows this...
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 21, 2012 8:50:42 PM

If you look at the plug with the ground pin (the large round one) facing downward, the flat pin above and to the right is the common wire (not the same as ground) and the one on the left is the hot wire.

In a plug without a ground pin, modern electrical code states that a 2 pin plug will be polarized. If you look at a modern 3 pin wall outlet, the circular hole is for a ground pin. The left flat pin (common wire) is larger than the right flat pin (hot wire). A two pin plug is supposed to go in only one way.
m
l
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 21, 2012 9:02:17 PM

^ OP is refering to the business end of the cable, that connects to the laptop
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 21, 2012 9:38:20 PM

Dug one out.
Probes from my DMM won't fit
Used a magnifying glass to help my old eye's, there's a + and a - etched into the connector
+ = bottom left on your little diagram
- = top/center
That would leave the bottom right as the communications pin.
No guarantee's whatsoever
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:47:36 AM

wow thanks man, i probably would have guessed wrong. Now about your reference to my rudimentary diagram, vis-a-vis left/right; are you considering said diagram to be a representation of the pins on the laptop or the holes in the plugwhich will receive the pins? thanks again...
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 22, 2012 4:02:05 AM

The connector

Sorry, the cable connector
m
l
!