CPU for X700

msterian

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi. I'm in a rather complicated predicament. I have a very old rig. Sempron 3400+(single core) and a PCI-X x700 128/128. I am thinking of upgrading it a bit, but my budget won't allow a full upgrade. So, after some analysis, I am under the impression that what keeps my games slow is mostly the CPU. Every time my game slows down, my CPU is at 100%. Can't check GPU load though. When game is running smoothly, 30+ fps, my CPU is at about 70%. Thus it seems that a cpu upgrade would bring my fps up a notch, until I manage to upgrade my video card as well. But I'd like to run this by you.

1.Would a better CPU really improve my game performance the least bit?

2.If yes, what would be a better value? Athlon II X2 250 3000 or Intel Celeron Dual COre E3400 2.6 Ghz?

3.Also if the answer is YES to question nr.1, how much improvement would we be talking about?

The games I play aren't the "benchmark" kind of games. I mostly play League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, World of Warcraft. I would also like to start playing Aion, Dota 2, etc. I'm not looking to play them at resolution higher than 1280 x 1024, or full detail, etc. What I'm looking for is to stop them from slowing down in high intensity battles.

Please don't suggest anything that would go over the budget of those cpus + cheapest motherboard + ram.
Yes I am aware that buying a new cpu will require new mb and ram, and it's within my budget if I don't get a more expensive cpu than the ones I mentioned.

I thank you very much for your interest and eagerly await your oppinions.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What make/model of motherboard are you using? That will determine what CPU options you have. BTW, it will be another AMD CPU if any at all and not an Intel CPU (i.e. Intel Celeron....).

The improvement in performance depends on the CPU, but given the older system, it won't be a huge improvement.

Also, how much memory does your system have? What OS? Please provide the full specs of what you are running, including the make/model of your power supply.

msterian

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I appreciate your reply, though it seems you haven't read the entire post. I specified I wasn't going to use my current MB if I upgrade the CPU. So why are you asking about my current computer. The only parts I'm going to be using after upgradin will be: PSU, HDD and Video card.

Please read my first post again and answer to questions 1,2,3.

Thank you.

msterian

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Bump?

Hasn't anyone here done something like this before? Seems very unlikely. Still hoping for some advice. Thank you.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK, lets try this again. Other than swapping out the mobo, CPU, and RAM, what else are you using from your old rig (HDD make/model/at least type (PATA or SATA), optical drive (same info), etc)

Answers to your questions:
1. Yes
2. The AMD
3. At least a 50% difference. That being said, the on-board graphics with most modern AMD mobos will out perform the X700 you have now.

For gaming, you should also consider a better video solution. What is your total budget for the upgrades?

msterian

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hey. Thank you for the reply.

In the meantime, I have decided to drop the specified AMD option as it's value is not as good as the E3400 one. The amd is 50% more expensive while not delivering +50% performance over the E3400.

Further more, I am now somewhat inclining to go with a better single core CPU than I have now (sempron 754 3400+ @2GHz) instead of a cheap dual-core, mostly because most of the games I play can't even use more than 1 core. Also, I haven't specified that what I am aiming for is a temporary compromise until I can afford a better rig, which will also most likely be a laptop. ETA is between 6-12 moths.

So, to be more exact, what I am aiming for is something that fits into a 120-140 price range. This should include:

-A cpu that can extend my games into taking full advantage of my video card. I know what you think, but actually my current CPU seems to be even worse than my video card and is holding it back. Of course, this is only my theory. Correct me if I'm wrong
-A MB for this cpu, low budget nothing fancy, only requirement is for it to support ddr3 as they are the cheapest atm.
-4GB ram

I am not looking for high upgradability or long term performance gains.
All I want is to be able to play my games, at least at minimum graphics, except resolution, 1280x1024, which my LCD requires, without hiccups or slowdowns as they are mostly competitive games. During this time I will be studying virtualization and CISCO at my workplace where I have a good computer, which will hopefully bring my career to a point when I will affors a much better computer/laptop, in the 6-12 months mark.

As a conclusion, my current option is the Intel Celeron E3400 dual core 2.6GHz, on a budget mainboard and 4gb ram.

Do you have a better option for me to achieveme my above mentioned goal?

If you read all this wall of text you really deserve my appreciation. This was what I was trying to avoid but... it came to it :p

Thank you all and I hope for your reply.

msterian

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
HOLD YOUR HORSES. I've maid up my mind on the CPU.

The winner is: Intel Celeron G530 @ 2.40GHz

It has the best value ever. It's 4 times faster than my current CPU, it's a dual core, it's on the newest intel socket, IT'S CHEAP, and most funny of all, it has an integrated graphics chip that outperforms my x700 a bit :))))))

Ok now if you could please hurry and recommend me a MB for about the same price as the cpu is, you've helped me a GREAT deal. What I'm looking for in that mb is mostly overclocking ability. But I do realize that would cost me more right?