[Please Confirm] New Build

somebodyelse

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hey, after some time researching computer parts I'm almost ready to buy.

Though since my last plan I made a few changes so just want to confirm if this is all compatible.

CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II

G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Intel Core i5 2500K CPU

Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1GB

Corsair TX-650 V2

500GB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE SATA3 HDD

Cooler Master HYPER 212 PLUS

I'm purchasing these in Australia. I would have gotten the HAF 912 if not for the shipping costs.

And how smooth do you think this would do overclocked at 4.5 GHz?
I'll buy a few fans for cooling.

If you can think of any changes, better now than never.
The OS will be Win7 Ultimate x64.

Thanks a lot.

Overclockability is based on the power management of the mobo, and the quality of the chip. While I love my extreme3 gen3 mobo I would suggest bumping up the quality to one of the bigger brother boards if venturing into the 4.5+ territory. My first board had some power management issues that would not allow me to run 4 dimms of ram, and would not properly control one of the system fans. I am sure it is a fluke, and the replacement board works great, but it does make one wonder about build quality. Remember ASRock is the budget version of ASUS, so you may have better luck OCing with a true ASUS board, or a higher end AS Rock board.

But like I said, I love my ex3 gen3 :)

morne

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
All very nice but maybe consider going for a WD black drive instead of blue, black has dual processor and 32mb cache instead of blue with 16mb cache, also warranty on black is 5 years not 3

somebodyelse

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Thanks.

I just read a lot of varied comments on Ex3 Gen3 overclocked. I guess it's win or lose, but I think I might stick with it since it can always be returned if something's wrong, and it does seem to handle 4.5 well. So what kind of overclock might you recommend with this build?

I also read a 32mb cache for my kind of build won't show a great deal of performance over the 16, and it is reasonably more pricey. So I think I'll go with the Caviar Blue. I know it's the weak link.

What I'm mostly concerned about now is the case. Do you think Centurion 5 II is sufficient for this build? I'll cool it with 140 mms front, top and side, plus 120mm rear.

pairenoid

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
i like this build because its almost 100% identical to mine
powercolor 6870
i5 2500k
ocz modxstream 600w
8gb g skill
hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
asrock z68 ex3
haf 912
i paid 747 around in socal and i can max skyrim and swtor

ofc with some settings on or off or tweaked, but its really good :D

somebodyelse

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
That's reassuring.

Could anyone recommend how many GHz this could be stable with?
And if the Centurion 5 II would fit these parts?

strausd

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
A 4.5 GHz OC should be stable. However, you should always do stress testing. And if you find that it is not stable, you can always bring it down.

It looks like that case should be able to hold everything. It is not the largest case out there, so if you plan on doing a dual GPU setup later on, you may want to consider a bigger case for more room to work with and some better cable management.

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Overclocking isn't something you set and forget and all chips are different. You could try my settings on my signature with all energy savers on, setting up the intel throttle higher, LLC1 and see where that gets you. prime 95 on small ffts and monitor for a day. Temps could be too high or system unstable, nobody can know for sure. Try small ffts on prime95 and gpu test on occt for max temps... but if the ambient temps rise it could make your system unstable. During winter i don't like temps more than 60 when at load but that is something personal. I had stable OC at 1.35v and 5ghz but i am uncomfortable with 75C during winter.