Using existing wires/cables with new PC power supply

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
There are various wires/cables that connect my PC power supply to the motherboard, hard disks, etc. If I replace the power supply can I just disconnect the existing cables from the current power supply and connect them to the new power supply or will the new power supply have its own cables that need to be used to connect it to the motherboard, hard disks, etc.?

A couple of other questions.

Do the mini-tower PCs use the regular size power supply or do they use a smaller one?

Which cable extension should I purchase to extend the existing power supply fan speed monitor connector cable? It comes out of the motherboard whenever I remove the power supply (to work on it) and it is very difficult to put it back in.

Thank you!

1a) Generally no, but in some case's it's possible, as long as you're talking about a modular power supply
1b) Yes
2) Depends on the case
3) A 3 pin male to female fan extension cable

Haven't seen a fan cable on a psu since the Antec TPT, meaning you most likely have an older power supply, meaning that the chances of reusing your cable's is very slim.
Providing the make and model of the components will get you a more direct answer

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
Thanks for your response.

The computer is over 10 years old - a Sony VAIO PCV-RX690G mini-tower (not slim) with a Pentium 4. I am not sure what the make and model of the power supply is.

What should I look for in a power supply to ensure that it would work with this old computer which has two IDE drives and two DVD devices.

I want to replace the power supply because it has started making noise like a lawn mower. I think the fan in the power supply is hitting something even though I have ensured that it is not loose. Sometimes it sounds as if the fan is going to stop working altogether.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

Thanks for the link, delluser1. I understand your point but right now I can only afford to change the power supply.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

Thanks for your advice, HEXit!