Where can I find Thermal Tape?

gardnerjedi11

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I recently purchased a case which has two temperature readings, one for the hard drive and another for the CPU. The manual recommends keeping these wires in place with thermal tape.

I searched NewEgg and Amazon and cannot find "thermal tape" that looks look it would be good use. What is the manual referring to, and where can I get it? Thanks!

Solution

You don't need to use the probes for the hard drive or the CPU, as a matter of fact it would just be silly to do so.
What's the point of a temperature reading on the outer casing of a hard drive or the fins of a cpu cooler ? There is none.
You would be better of positioning the probes to measure intake and exhaust temperatures of the case or psu.
A small piece of almost any...

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I hadn't heard of Thermal Tape before reading this, and following a quick Google search all I could come up with is something used to use between the CPU and HeatSink (effectively thermal paste but in a tape/pad style design) - not suitable for what your looking to do I wouldn't have thought.

Here's the link anyway in case its of any use (its a UK store though, not US I believe) http://www.maplin.co.uk/thermal-adhesive-tape-221326

EDIT: You might be better off looking for "Heat resistant tape" rather than "Thermal Tape"

gardnerjedi11

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

See the manual, page 6: http://www.apevia.com/umanual/um-x-jupiter.pdf

What would you suggest I use to tape down the probe? Would electrical tape work? The tape would be on the hard drive or motherboard.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Are you talking about Thermal Pads? These are used in devices like video cards where Thermal Paste can not be applied but heat transfer is required. Some examples are (http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g8/c487/list/p1/Thermal-Thermal_Pads_Tape.html).

You don't need to use the probes for the hard drive or the CPU, as a matter of fact it would just be silly to do so.
What's the point of a temperature reading on the outer casing of a hard drive or the fins of a cpu cooler ? There is none.
You would be better of positioning the probes to measure intake and exhaust temperatures of the case or psu.
A small piece of almost any type of tape at the point where the sleeving meets the probe is enough to hold it in place and not interfere with temperature readings.

Solution

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
The easy fix is add a few case fan. The CPU will get locked up before any wires get burn. You only need themal tape if you running nuclear type stuff inside you computer case. :)

bucknutty

Distinguished
These probes dont seem to have much value. Using a software such as HWmonitor you can track all your temps. 99% of the HDs being sold these days have sensors that the computer can read. Why guess at a prob that is taped to the out side of the HD chassis when you can use the internal temp as provided by the HD itsself.

Same is true for the motherboard points of intrest, GPU and of course CPU.

Is this case an older model. I rember my P3 733 mother board had a temp probe that was intended to be stuck in the fins of the cpu cooler. But I have not seen anything like that in like 10 years.