Cell phone for Asia/Europe

Last response: in Technologies
Share
August 7, 2004 8:12:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.

This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.

Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?

Thanks.

More about : cell phone asia europe

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 8:12:25 PM

"Newbie" <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message
> I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
> cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.

An unlocked dual-band (900/1800) or tri-band (900/1800/1900) phone with a
multi-voltage charger would be ideal. These can be had on eBay in the
$50-$100 range with no problems.

> This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
> be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.

Who is your US carrier? If it's AT&T, you might want to get their GSM SIM
for backup roaming.

> Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
> overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?

eBay is the way I've done it. Also, I'd get a HOP Mobile prepaid
international SIM and use it unless I decided that a local prepaid would be
more cost effective. Check www.prepaidgsm.net

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

"Newbie" <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message
> I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
> cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.
>

> This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
> be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.
>
> Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
> overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?
>
> Thanks.

I like the Nokia 6150, a dual-band 900/1800 MHz model. All the
5100/6100/7100 series accessories and batteries fit (examples:
6180, 5120, 7190). When I was hunting eBay for them, you'd see
about four a month for sale.

John C.
August 7, 2004 10:01:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message news:<070820041117056409%newbie@no.spam>...
> I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
> cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.
>

> This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
> be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.
>
> Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
> overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?

Buy one there. You'd have to buy a tri-band in the US.

BTW, this is exactly what I do. I have 6 SIM cards currently for local
service whereever I go.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:41:31 PM

Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote:
>I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
>cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.
>

>This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
>be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.
>
>Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
>overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?

The problem is not so much the phone itself. The real issue is signing
up with a provider which has roaming agreements with all those
countries, otherwise you'll have to get a prepaid card in every country
you visit.

GSM phones are cheap nowadays.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal
August 7, 2004 11:41:32 PM

Alfred Molon <alfred_molonDELETE@yahoo.com> wrote:

> otherwise you'll have to get a prepaid card in every country you
> visit.

That's what I am thinking. It may be cheaper as well as less hassle
than trying to find a card that works everywhere. Besides if I can get
a card that doesn't expire for about a year, I could use it again next
time.

> GSM phones are cheap nowadays.

But are they cheaper here or in India? :)  My another worry is that the
US business practices are so insular I am never sure if a phone bought
here will actually work overseas, also not sure if salesmen who say so
are knowledgeable let anole trustworthy. OTOH I am reasonably sure that
one bought in Asia/Europe will work in all of those countries. But
that's just my anxiety, I'd like to hear from someone experienced.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:41:33 PM

Newbie wrote:

> But are they cheaper here or in India? :)  My another worry is that the
> US business practices are so insular I am never sure if a phone bought
> here will actually work overseas, also not sure if salesmen who say so
> are knowledgeable let anole trustworthy. OTOH I am reasonably sure that
> one bought in Asia/Europe will work in all of those countries. But
> that's just my anxiety, I'd like to hear from someone experienced.

I don't know anything about prices in India, but I do know that US GSM
phones use the 850 and 1900 bands, while most if not all of the areas
you'll be travelling in, use GSM 900 and 1800. We have some 900/1800
unlocked GSM phones for use in Europe, as well as some triband phones,
which work in the US AND in Europe.
Look for at least a dual-dand 900/1800 phone, and make sure that it's
either not locked to a particular provider, or that it can be easily
unlocked. Most Nokias are easily to unlock.
August 8, 2004 12:25:32 AM

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:12:24 GMT, Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote:

>I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
>cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.
>

>This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
>be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.
>
>Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
>overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?

If you're sure you'll only be using it in Europe and Asia get a dual
band 900/1800 phone. You should be able to pick one up for the
equivalent of $50 or less. For current and past models for Europe for
Nokia go to http://nokia.com click on Europe and look at the
non-recent models such as 3310/3410 and then go and look at ebay and
look for unlocked Nokia XXXX model you should get several hits. I
just picked up a Nokia 3410 that I'm going to give to my sister who
lives in Israel for the equivalent of USD50 including air post from
the UK. You could also get a tri-band phone for use in Europe and in
North America, but if you're using TDMA service and don't think you'll
be switching to GSM you won't need a phone that will work in North
America.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
August 8, 2004 12:28:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:41:31 +0200, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molonDELETE@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The problem is not so much the phone itself. The real issue is signing
>up with a provider which has roaming agreements with all those
>countries, otherwise you'll have to get a prepaid card in every country
>you visit.

It all depends on how much time is spent in one country or another.
It takes not very much talk time to make it worthwhile to use separate
accounts in several countries rather than to use the very expensive
native carrier roaming rates. You'll have to judge whether you'll be
using your phone enough to warrant getting separate cards for each
country. Typically you'll get a starter pack for the equivalent of
around $20 with some time included in each SIM pack.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
August 8, 2004 12:30:43 AM

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:17:03 GMT, Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote:

>But are they cheaper here or in India? :)

Probably here even ordering and having someone in the UK ship your
phone to you in the US.

>My another worry is that the
>US business practices are so insular I am never sure if a phone bought
>here will actually work overseas, also not sure if salesmen who say so
>are knowledgeable let anole trustworthy.

As long as you know what you're getting i.e. that the phone you're
getting will work on European/Asian frequencies (900/1800) you'll be
fine.

>OTOH I am reasonably sure that
>one bought in Asia/Europe will work in all of those countries. But
>that's just my anxiety, I'd like to hear from someone experienced.

I've bought phones specifically meant for use in Europe/Asia from ebay
and never had a bit of problem.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 1:12:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

"Newbie" <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message
> I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
> cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.

You'll probably need a tri-band phone. Yes try e-Bay for a used one.

> This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
> be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.
>
> Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
> overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 3:58:30 AM

Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote:

>But are they cheaper here or in India? :)  My another worry is that the
>US business practices are so insular I am never sure if a phone bought
>here will actually work overseas, also not sure if salesmen who say so
>are knowledgeable let anole trustworthy. OTOH I am reasonably sure that
>one bought in Asia/Europe will work in all of those countries. But
>that's just my anxiety, I'd like to hear from someone experienced.

I think you can find simple models (GSM 900/1800) here in Germany
selling for 100 Euro without contract. There are even shops where they
sell used GSM phones.
--

Alfred Molon
August 8, 2004 5:36:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message news:<070820041117056409%newbie@no.spam>...
> Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
> overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?

Try buying an used or at least cheap Nokia 3210, it's a relatively
quite old model that is capable of dual band G.S.M. (G.S.M. 900 and
G.S.M. 1800). It should at least cost around U$50 or less. And when
you're ready to return home back to the U.S.A. , you could always sell
back your dual band G.S.M. phone to the nearest hand phone shop if you
don't want to use it anymore.

Though as many people here already said it, if you want to bring a
G.S.M. phone back home to U.S.A. and use it there, you need a tri band
G.S.M. (G.S.M. 900, G.S.M. 1800, and G.S.M. 1900) phone since that
only the 1900 frequencies is avaiable, since the 900 frequencies and
the 1800 frequencies were already used by the U.S. military.

And also you can't used ANY G.S.M. phone in Japan since there's no
G.S.M. network in Japan. Unless you got one of those G3 (Third
Generation) phones that can be used both in the Japan W.C.D.M.A.
network and the global G.S.M. network, like the Nokia 6650.

As for buying a local pre-paid S.I.M. card for each country.

Well... That would be the cheapest to do it, but it should be noted
that pre-paid cards after they're being used usually expired after a
month or so unless you regulary top its value each month or so, so
it's doubtful that you can use the same card again for the next year.

> Thanks.
August 8, 2004 10:40:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

My 2c-worth:

If you are going to do this regularly, buy a tri-band phone, then you can
use it in the US too. Then buy prepaid cards in the countries you are in,
every time phoning into your voicemail on your US account and leave
voicemail with a forward number. Prepaid is cheaper if you will make lots
of calls or there for a while. If you are only doing this for a few days,
borrow a triband / Euro GSM phone, and roam.

Or, forward your US mobile to www.stanaphone.com, and forward that to your
European prepaid. Expensive option, but seamless to the caller.

Have fun.

Daniel

"Newbie" <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message
> I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
> cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.
>

> This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
> be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.
>
> Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
> overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?
>
> Thanks.
August 8, 2004 1:53:03 PM

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 21:12:41 -0700, "Peter L" <Peterl68@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Newbie" <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message
>> I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
>> cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.
>>

>You'll probably need a tri-band phone. Yes try e-Bay for a used one.

Why should they waste money on a tri-band phone if they never intend
to use it in North America?

A dual band Euro/Asian phone should suit their purpose just fine.

>> This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
>> be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.
>>
>> Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
>> overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?
>>
>> Thanks.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
August 8, 2004 1:55:01 PM

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 06:40:00 GMT, "D" <kapanol@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If you are going to do this regularly, buy a tri-band phone, then you can
>use it in the US too. Then buy prepaid cards in the countries you are in,
>every time phoning into your voicemail on your US account and leave
>voicemail with a forward number. Prepaid is cheaper if you will make lots
>of calls or there for a while. If you are only doing this for a few days,
>borrow a triband / Euro GSM phone, and roam.

The poster said that they have no intention of using it in the US so
tri-band is overkill since they won't be using it at all in the US.
Triband is not the solution for everyone especially if they don't
intend on using it in North America at all.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
August 8, 2004 1:57:49 PM

On 8 Aug 2004 01:36:13 -0700, digicross@hotmail.com (EAC) wrote:

>As for buying a local pre-paid S.I.M. card for each country.
>
>Well... That would be the cheapest to do it, but it should be noted
>that pre-paid cards after they're being used usually expired after a
>month or so unless you regulary top its value each month or so, so
>it's doubtful that you can use the same card again for the next year.

Many European accounts expire with a one year expiry. Others require
that you make a charge on your account every six months. Since many
of the European accounts will roam internationally you can always at
least make a single call before the end of six months to keep the
phone alive.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 3:40:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

I was told that while GSM would work in most Asian countries, Japan
uses something different and a "world" GSM phone wouldn't work there.
Was I misled?

Ken
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 7:07:16 PM

"Kenneth E. Linger" <Ken@TheLingers.com> wrote in message
> I was told that while GSM would work in most Asian countries, Japan
> uses something different and a "world" GSM phone wouldn't work there.
> Was I misled?

"World" used to mean "GSM 900 + 1900". Now it pretty much means "GSM
900/1800/1900 + WCDMA 2100" (Maybe GSM 850, too) Many GSM operators roam
with the two WCDMA operators in Japan: Vodafone and/or DoCoMo. You just need
the phone that does WCDMA.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 7:32:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

Check into a company that has GSM and overseas call availability. T-Mobile,
AT&T, or Cingular all have GSM in the US and since AT&T and Cingular are
converting to GSM, if your TDMA carrier is one of these, you'll eventually
have to change anyway. With T-Mobile, you can ask them to authorize your
phone for international use and you can use it without problems.

Jeff

"Newbie" <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message
> I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
> cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.
>

> This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
> be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.
>
> Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
> overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?
>
> Thanks.
August 8, 2004 7:32:18 PM

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:32:17 GMT, "Jeff Hacker" <jhacker@usa.net>
wrote:

>Check into a company that has GSM and overseas call availability. T-Mobile,
>AT&T, or Cingular all have GSM in the US and since AT&T and Cingular are
>converting to GSM, if your TDMA carrier is one of these, you'll eventually
>have to change anyway. With T-Mobile, you can ask them to authorize your
>phone for international use and you can use it without problems.

TDMA is not going away any time soon. Most estimates are that it will
be at least seven years before TDMA goes away... if then!

Jeff Hacker wrote:

> With T-Mobile, you can ask them to authorize your
> phone for international use and you can use it without problems.

That will only work with a tri-band or a quad-band.
August 8, 2004 10:31:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 11:40:37 -0700, "Kenneth E. Linger"
<Ken@TheLingers.com> wrote:

>I was told that while GSM would work in most Asian countries, Japan
>uses something different and a "world" GSM phone wouldn't work there.
>Was I misled?

Japan is not a GSM country. However, they do use WCDMA I believe. If
your phone is WCDMA compatible it may work.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 11:05:30 PM

Kenneth E. Linger wrote:
> I was told that while GSM would work in most Asian countries, Japan
> uses something different and a "world" GSM phone wouldn't work there.

Japan uses its own mobile telephone system, PDC. GSM works in most Asian
countries.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 11:41:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

my advise is to get a GSM modem on your first country of destination. Then
just buy prepaid SIM for each country. Usually it should be US$30 - US$50
for prepaid sim for each country. But becasue it is prepaid, the
international call or long distance call charge would be quite big. (Not to
be too commercial...) This is why we have smscallback service for GSM
network around the world. www.speedicc.com/smscallback

You can buy a very cheap GSM phones at india (actualy not really a good
place). Good place would be Singapore or Malaysia where you can get a phone
(Nokia) for about $100, no contract. I think if you spend a bit more, you
can get tri-band model and also can use it in US. But please shop around
and be careful with the pre-paid call rates. Also it would be good to buy
extra top-up cards, just in case.. Even if you do not use all top up value,
the whole cost would be cheaper than using hotel or AT&T international call
services.

"Newbie" <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message
> I am traveling to Asia/Europe for a couple months and would like a GSM
> cell phone in which I could keep chanigng SIM cards country by country.
>

> This doesn't have to be the highest quality phone and a used one will
> be ok. My US service is TDMA, so the phone will just be for such trips.
>
> Basically, is it cheaper to buy one in India, which would be my first
> overseas stop, or should I try Ebay here, and if so which model?
>
> Thanks.
August 8, 2004 11:41:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 19:41:58 +0800, "jlhbjnhh"
<smscallback_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>my advise is to get a GSM modem on your first country of destination.

Buy a GSM modem??????????????

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 6:59:06 AM

In article <080820041140379799%Ken@TheLingers.com>, Kenneth E. Linger wrote:
> I was told that while GSM would work in most Asian countries, Japan
> uses something different and a "world" GSM phone wouldn't work there.
> Was I misled?

Japan uses PDC (a "different" format), CDMAOne, WCDMA, and CDMA2000,
depending on carrier.

No GSM.

You can rent a WCDMA handset at the airport that you can roam with your
home GSM SIM if appropriate roam agreements are in place with your
carrier.

--
David Van Cleef - Engineering Manager
dvc@gol.com - Fusion Network Services, K.K.

S Viemeister wrote:
> Jeff Hacker wrote:
>

>>With T-Mobile, you can ask them to authorize your
>>phone for international use and you can use it without problems.
>>

> That will only work with a tri-band or a quad-band.

At least T-Mobile will unlock your phone after 14 days.
If you have T-M, you might want to unlock it as foreign chip rates tend
to be a bit cheaper than the roaming rates.
AT&T refused to.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 12:38:48 PM

nothilaryduff wrote:

> At least T-Mobile will unlock your phone after 14 days.
> If you have T-M, you might want to unlock it as foreign chip rates tend
> to be a bit cheaper than the roaming rates.
> AT&T refused to.

For my ATT Nokia 3100, I waited until the 30 day return period was up, then
went to one of the free sites which provide unlock codes for Nokias,
plugged in the appropriate numbers, carefully entered one of the resulting
codes, and inserted my UK-Orange SIM. It's MY phone - if I want to use it
with other SIMs, I will!
August 9, 2004 3:21:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 05:26:01 GMT, nothilaryduff
<nothilaryduff@hotmail.com> wrote:

>S Viemeister wrote:
>> Jeff Hacker wrote:
>>

>>>With T-Mobile, you can ask them to authorize your
>>>phone for international use and you can use it without problems.
>>>

>> That will only work with a tri-band or a quad-band.
>>

>At least T-Mobile will unlock your phone after 14 days.
>If you have T-M, you might want to unlock it as foreign chip rates tend
>to be a bit cheaper than the roaming rates.
>AT&T refused to.

Unlocking after 14 days is the exception rather than the rule.
Usually you have to be a customer in good standing for at least 90
days to get an unlock code. There are exceptions, but for the most
part it's *not* 14 days but rather 90.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
August 10, 2004 9:21:41 AM

<semiretired@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Motorola V66 is a small, neat, stylish triband GSM phone which can
> be bought unlocked at ebay.com...My favourite.

Thanks
> This has been a most interesting thread. I just hope the OP has got
> as much benefit from everybody's experiences as I have...

Yes, I am learning!

> FWIW I think the OP should get kitted out with an unlocked triband
> GSM phone before leaving on his travels. The costs are trivial
> compared with airfare and survival in foreign parts.
>
> As for one SIM versus different SIMS - who is he going to call?
> Individual SIMs are fine for calls within countries, but if he
> is mainly going to be phoning "home" then international costs have
> to be faced up to no matter whose SIM is in the phone.

I am going to use it within the country being visited, eg, India.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 8:15:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

Newbie wrote
>semiretired wrote

>>As for one SIM versus different SIMS - who is he going to call?
>>Individual SIMs are fine for calls within countries, but if he
>>is mainly going to be phoning "home" then international costs have
>>to be faced up to no matter whose SIM is in the phone.

>I am going to use it within the country being visited, eg, India.

You make a good case for a SIM for each country!
Whether it is worth getting the first one before you
leave (just so you are secure in the knowledge that you
have a working phone) is a question only you can answer.

Have a great trip!
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 7:14:47 AM

>Whether it is worth getting the first one before you
>leave (just so you are secure in the knowledge that you
>have a working phone) is a question only you can answer.

Have a US phone account before you leave. Be sure that the it is set up for
foreign roaming.

Then you will be able to notify family members when you arrive and know that
at a miminum you have some communications.

Keep in mind that there are some countries that will never have roaming
agreements with US companies. An in country SIM is the only way in these
countries.

--
John S.
August 11, 2004 9:13:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

<semiretired@my-deja.com> wrote:

> You make a good case for a SIM for each country! Whether it is worth getting
> the first one before you leave (just so you are secure in the knowledge that
> you have a working phone) is a question only you can answer.

Actually I was planning to buy my first SIM in India, but have been
wondering if, thanks to Ebay, it might not be possible to pick up a
used phone more cheaply here. So far that does not seem to be the case.
From what I hear, used phone prices might be cheaper in India.

The reason may well be that in India one can find just right "dual
band" phones (900, 1800 MHz, the "international" frequencies not used
in the US). Naturally there isn't a huge market for them here. To get
those frequencies, you pretty much have to get a "triband" phone which
adds 1900 MHz, the US frequency, making it more expensive.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 9:13:52 AM

Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote:
> Actually I was planning to buy my first SIM in India, but have been
> wondering if, thanks to Ebay, it might not be possible to pick up a
> used phone more cheaply here. So far that does not seem to be the
> case. From what I hear, used phone prices might be cheaper in India.

Well, you might want to check it out. If they are cheaper here, then you
could sell it before you leave India.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://deirdre.org/blog/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"

Newbie wrote:

> <semiretired@my-deja.com> wrote:
>

>>You make a good case for a SIM for each country! Whether it is worth getting
>>the first one before you leave (just so you are secure in the knowledge that
>>you have a working phone) is a question only you can answer.
>

> Actually I was planning to buy my first SIM in India, but have been
> wondering if, thanks to Ebay, it might not be possible to pick up a
> used phone more cheaply here. So far that does not seem to be the case.
> From what I hear, used phone prices might be cheaper in India.
>
> The reason may well be that in India one can find just right "dual
> band" phones (900, 1800 MHz, the "international" frequencies not used
> in the US). Naturally there isn't a huge market for them here. To get
> those frequencies, you pretty much have to get a "triband" phone which
> adds 1900 MHz, the US frequency, making it more expensive.

Not that expensive. I bought one for $25.
August 11, 2004 11:08:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

nothilaryduff <nothilaryduff@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Actually I was planning to buy my first SIM in India, but have been
> > wondering if, thanks to Ebay, it might not be possible to pick up a
> > used phone more cheaply here. So far that does not seem to be the case.
> > ...The reason may well be that in India one can find just right "dual
> > band" phones (900, 1800 MHz, the "international" frequencies not used
> > in the US). Naturally there isn't a huge market for them here. To get
> > those frequencies, you pretty much have to get a "triband" phone which
> > adds 1900 MHz, the US frequency, making it more expensive.
>
> Not that expensive. I bought one for $25.

Just out of curiosity, what was the make and model? What keywords did
you use in the search, if you remember? I have been scanning ebay but
only see $75-200 prices!
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 11:19:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <110820040210098202%newbie@no.spam> on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:08:39 GMT,
Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote:

>nothilaryduff <nothilaryduff@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Actually I was planning to buy my first SIM in India, but have been
>> > wondering if, thanks to Ebay, it might not be possible to pick up a
>> > used phone more cheaply here. So far that does not seem to be the case.
>> > ...The reason may well be that in India one can find just right "dual
>> > band" phones (900, 1800 MHz, the "international" frequencies not used
>> > in the US). Naturally there isn't a huge market for them here. To get
>> > those frequencies, you pretty much have to get a "triband" phone which
>> > adds 1900 MHz, the US frequency, making it more expensive.
>>
>> Not that expensive. I bought one for $25.
>
>Just out of curiosity, what was the make and model? What keywords did
>you use in the search, if you remember? I have been scanning ebay but
>only see $75-200 prices!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712...
Ericsson T28
Sold for $22.50

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

Newbie wrote:

> nothilaryduff <nothilaryduff@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>Actually I was planning to buy my first SIM in India, but have been
>>>wondering if, thanks to Ebay, it might not be possible to pick up a
>>>used phone more cheaply here. So far that does not seem to be the case.
>>>...The reason may well be that in India one can find just right "dual
>>>band" phones (900, 1800 MHz, the "international" frequencies not used
>>>in the US). Naturally there isn't a huge market for them here. To get
>>>those frequencies, you pretty much have to get a "triband" phone which
>>>adds 1900 MHz, the US frequency, making it more expensive.
>>
>>Not that expensive. I bought one for $25.
>

> Just out of curiosity, what was the make and model? What keywords did
> you use in the search, if you remember? I have been scanning ebay but
> only see $75-200 prices!

In your scan, did you tell it to sort by price?
August 11, 2004 12:35:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712...
> Ericsson T28
> Sold for $22.50

This is fine for US purposes (1900) but as its "dual band" leaves out
1800, it is not a true international phone. My expereince was, it is
difficult to get the truly international 900/1800 dual band on ebay,
and 900/1800/1900 tribands are more expensive. However, thanks toyour
post I a re-energized into looking some more.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 12:47:47 PM

Newbie wrote:
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>

>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712...
>>Ericsson T28
>>Sold for $22.50
>

> This is fine for US purposes (1900) but as its "dual band" leaves out
> 1800, it is not a true international phone. My expereince was, it is
> difficult to get the truly international 900/1800 dual band on ebay,
> and 900/1800/1900 tribands are more expensive. However, thanks toyour
> post I a re-energized into looking some more.

I do know that if I lose my Nokia 3100, I can get it replaced with a new
one for $35, including tax. Additionally, the unlock code is easy to get
using an easy to find application. I just switched my Samsung V205 to
use on AT&T. The unlock code took a couple of days to get from T-Mobile
(after 14 days of service last Sept), and the GPRS information is easy
to find online to switch the web service between providers.
Unfortunately, it looks like you can't download new games to the V205 as
you can with Nokia. The Nokia 3100 lets you record memos or use it to
record your own ring tone.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 12:47:48 PM

nothilaryduff wrote:

> I do know that if I lose my Nokia 3100, I can get it replaced with a new
> one for $35, including tax. Additionally, the unlock code is easy to get
> using an easy to find application.

Which version of the 3100 do you have? The 850/1800/1900 or the
900/1800/1900?
I think my 3100 is a terrific little phone, but I really wish they'd made
ONE model, using all four bands!
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 1:10:18 PM

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <110820040210098202%newbie@no.spam> on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:08:39 GMT,
> Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote:

> >> Not that expensive. I bought one for $25.
> >
> >Just out of curiosity, what was the make and model? What keywords did
> >you use in the search, if you remember? I have been scanning ebay but
> >only see $75-200 prices!
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712...
> Ericsson T28
> Sold for $22.50

I second that. Since basic phone calls are your primary concern (as
opposed to web browsing, picture taking, etc.), a great deal can be had
simply by seeking out an older, less "advanced" (but perfectly capable)
model. Any of the following phones will serve you well for very little out
of pocket expense:

Ericsson T28 (900/1800/1900
Ericsson T29 (900/1800 only)
Ericsson T66 (900/1800/1900)(at 2.08oz it's one of the tiniest phones
ever made)
Nokia 8210 (900/1800 only)

This is merely a sampling of older phones drawn from memory. In order to
compile a more complete list of possibilities to search for on Ebay, I
suggest you visit the following sites and look at the older offerings of
each manufacturer:

http://www.phonescoop.com (this site focuses on the American market, so
you'll need to focus on triband, 900/1800/1900, "world" phones)

http://www.gsmarena.com (this site focuses on the EurAsian markets, so
it lists literally hundreds of dual-band, 900/1800, phones)

I hope this helps. Have a great trip!

Rob
--------------------
Proud user of:
Motorola V66 (Battery life? What battery life?)
Nokia 3595 (Not exactly thin & beautiful, but functionally superb)
Nokia N-Gage ("Excuse me while I talk on my GameBoy.")
Sony-Ericsson T637 (A balanced package of form & function)
Panasonic G51u (My newest and smallest toy)
August 11, 2004 1:10:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:10:18 GMT, "+ Rob +"
<frankr#N1O2@S3P4A5M6#mindspring.com> wrote:

>Ericsson T28 (900/1800/1900

Nope. Ericsson T28 is 900/1900 only. It is dual band and does not
have the 1800 band.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 1:15:48 PM

In <110820040336291083%newbie@no.spam> on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:35:00 GMT,
Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712...
>> Ericsson T28
>> Sold for $22.50
>
>This is fine for US purposes (1900) but as its "dual band" leaves out
>1800, it is not a true international phone. My expereince was, it is
>difficult to get the truly international 900/1800 dual band on ebay,
>and 900/1800/1900 tribands are more expensive. However, thanks toyour
>post I a re-energized into looking some more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712...
Ericsson T39
Tri-band, with a host of high-end features
Sold for $40

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712...
Sony Ericsson T200
Tri-band
Sold for $31.30

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712...
Ericsson R520
Tri-band, great RF
Sold for $29.95

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 6:47:15 PM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:10:18 GMT, "+ Rob +"
> <frankr#N1O2@S3P4A5M6#mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >Ericsson T28 (900/1800/1900
>
> Nope. Ericsson T28 is 900/1900 only. It is dual band and does not
> have the 1800 band.

Oops. As I said, I was going from memory. So pardon the error...
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 6:47:16 PM

"+ Rob +" <frankr#N1O2@S3P4A5M6#mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:10:18 GMT, "+ Rob +"
> > <frankr#N1O2@S3P4A5M6#mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Ericsson T28 (900/1800/1900
> >
> > Nope. Ericsson T28 is 900/1900 only. It is dual band and does not
> > have the 1800 band.
>
> Oops. As I said, I was going from memory. So pardon the error...

I found, searching through eBay, that there are three
Ericsson T28 models:

T28w 900/1900 MHz dual-band
T28s 900/1800 MHz dual-band
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...
T28z 1900 MHz mono-band

This would explain these contradictory memories. I sure
can't find any "factory specs" webpages anymore on these
older phones.

John C.
August 11, 2004 7:24:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm,soc.culture.indian,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

nothilaryduff <nothilaryduff@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In your scan, did you tell it to sort by price?

I tried that but didn't find it useful because auctions with many days
left often have misleadingly low prices which all shoot up on the last
day. So I sort by "ending soon".
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 8:42:26 PM

Newbie <newbie@no.spam> wrote in message news:<070820041321448854%newbie@no.spam>...
> Alfred Molon <alfred_molonDELETE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > otherwise you'll have to get a prepaid card in every country you
> > visit.
>
> That's what I am thinking. It may be cheaper as well as less hassle
> than trying to find a card that works everywhere. Besides if I can get
> a card that doesn't expire for about a year, I could use it again next
> time.
>
> > GSM phones are cheap nowadays.
>
> But are they cheaper here or in India? :)  My another worry is that the
> US business practices are so insular I am never sure if a phone bought
> here will actually work overseas, also not sure if salesmen who say so
> are knowledgeable let anole trustworthy. OTOH I am reasonably sure that
> one bought in Asia/Europe will work in all of those countries. But
> that's just my anxiety, I'd like to hear from someone experienced.

A friend of mine, who travels to Thailnd a lot, inquired about the
phone here at an AT&T store here in US and the suggestion was to buy
it oversea which would alos work inside US. I think the idea was to
replace the SIM cards in each country.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 9:11:42 PM

In <VQqSc.72$8I2.65@bignews6.bellsouth.net> on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:22:46
-0600, "John Cummings" <n4bkn.no@spam.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"+ Rob +" <frankr#N1O2@S3P4A5M6#mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Nope. Ericsson T28 is 900/1900 only. It is dual band and does not
>> > have the 1800 band.
>>
>> Oops. As I said, I was going from memory. So pardon the error...
>
>I found, searching through eBay, that there are three
>Ericsson T28 models:
>
>T28w 900/1900 MHz dual-band
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>T28s 900/1800 MHz dual-band
>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...
>T28z 1900 MHz mono-band
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>
>This would explain these contradictory memories. I sure
>can't find any "factory specs" webpages anymore on these
>older phones.

Here they are:
T28W
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=400...