Solved

Can't boot after installing new RAM

Hello, yesterday I bought a new generic RAM but for some reason I can't use it together with my old ram. Both RAMs are 2 GB DDR2 PC2-6400 and the mobo supports up to 4GB. Whenever I try to put them together the BIOS won't boot and the CPU fan gets a bit noisy, as if it was under load, but each RAM works perfectly if I plug them individually, also both DIMM sockets work perfectly if I use them individually.

Motherbaord is ECS G31T-M7 V1.0
(http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=897&MenuID=16)

(took these shots with my phone, in case I needed them with the PC off)

Old memory:

New memory:

I've tried resetting the BIOS removing its jumper and manually choosing the SPD settings.

Any help would be appreciated.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot installing
  1. Hi

Can you run in safe mode?
  2. With either of the RAMs alone I can run everything normally, but if I try to use both I can't even load the BIOS.
  3. That's weird. Run a windows memory diagnostic for each of the RAMs and see if any errors occur..
  4. Do you have the ability to change the memory controller from bios?
  5. Gate9er said:
    That's weird. Run a windows memory diagnostic for each of the RAMs and see if any errors occur..

No errors found :/

Anonymous said:
    Do you have the ability to change the memory controller from bios?

Nope, the only options available are change the frequency (667/800) and SPD settings

I also tried changing the SPD settings to match the info of the slowest of the two RAMs (5-5-5-18) with no success
  6. alukah said:

I also tried changing the SPD settings to match the info of the slowest of the two RAMs (5-5-5-18) with no success

You are saying that the RAM slots are not the same??
  7. I mean the CAS latency, delay and precharge of both RAMs is different, one is 6.0 and the other is 5.0.

Now, in the BIOS I can either set this as automatic (set by default) and it will detect the CAS settings or I can manually set them, I tried both with no success.
  8. Best answer
    You'd better refresh the old DIMM's SPD, not just set the BIOS.
    Or you can find a normal SPD file to refresh both.
    Because:
    Old one: SPD defines the 800/533/400MHZ, but the CL value is uncommon in 800(CL=tRCD=tRP=5).
    New one: SPD just defines the 800 settings, CL=tRCD=tRP=6.
    In this case, system does't know how to set parameters for both...
    PS: i think the brand of the new one is not popular...
  9. I was searching around about editing/updating the SPD and I found this http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20349

Though it seems quite dangerous and I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to modify...

BTW I just noticed CPU-Z doesn't include much info about the new one, it's this one http://www.addoncomputer.com/aa800d2n52g.aspx

EDIT: Would it work if I fully replace the old SPD with a dump from the new one?
  10. EDIT: Would it work if I fully replace the old SPD with a dump from the new one?
    -- If the DIMM config is the same, yes. It means they are both 2Rx8/2GB, for instance.
  11. Was just thinking. Are the memory modules the same voltage? If they are different it could cause issues.
  12. It worked :D Thank you very much everyone!

Everything works smoothly, even ran a memory diagnostic test just in case, all good.
  13. Best answer selected by alukah.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Boot