GTX 550Ti vs GTX 460

bestlink101

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
gtx 550 ti has a better pixel rate
gtx 460 has a better texel rate (anisotropic filtering)
gtx 550 ti has a better Memory Bandwidth
gtx 460 uses more power
gtx 550 ti has a better architecture
Memory Bandwidth: Memory bandwidth is the maximum amount of information (measured in MB per second) that can be transported across the external memory interface in one second. It's worked out by multiplying the card's interface width by its memory clock speed. In the case of DDR memory, the result should be multiplied by 2 once again. If it uses DDR5, multiply by 4 instead. The higher the card's memory bandwidth, the faster the card will be in general. It especially helps with anti-aliasing, HDR and high resolutions.

Texel Rate: Texel rate is the maximum number of texture map elements (texels) that are applied per second. This is calculated by multiplying the total amount of texture units by the core speed of the chip. The higher the texel rate, the better the graphics card will be at handling texture filtering (anisotropic filtering - AF). It is measured in millions of texels processed in a second.

Pixel Rate: Pixel rate is the maximum number of pixels the video card could possibly record to its local memory per second - measured in millions of pixels per second. The figure is calculated by multiplying the amount of colour ROPs by the the core speed of the card. ROPs (Raster Operations Pipelines - aka Render Output Units) are responsible for outputting the pixels (image) to the screen. The actual pixel rate also depends on quite a few other factors, especially the memory bandwidth - the lower the memory bandwidth is, the lower the potential to get to the max fill rate.

I would go with gtx 550ti

Why go with the slower card???? http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_550_Ti_Cyclone_II/23.html

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Agreed, the 550Ti is generally priced lower than the 460 and i would imagine that is for a reason.

^^ Do you have benchmarks to prove you statements - I can say I'm 6' 180 lbs and very handsome - are you going to take me at my word? Most charts I've seen have the GTX 460 1GB on top. You talk a lot of jargon - "show me the beef!!!!'
-Bruce

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Dear asker of beef,

Who were you referring this to? Got confused when i read it...

notsmart

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

or a someone paid to promote a specific product..

Ontopic: Can we guys get back on topic? I'm simply asking why the 460 is better than the 550 that has better clock speeds. Just like a v6 engine is better than a 2.0 engine.