Ideas Please

rwswan

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hello,
Not real good at this so would appreciate views/comments. I have an old MSI mobo MS6178 with FSB of 66/100 MHz. It supports an Intel Pentium III CPU and max RAM is 512Mb. Guessing it would have been released around late 90s or early 2000. Any ideas what use this could now be put?

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
CAN BE PUT IN THE MUSEUM FOR SURE. :D Sorry but i cAN not see anything useful about it.Alexoui may be right but I would like to ask him what browser and office should the OP use ? And Op , let me make it clear - I have a old P4 2.8 Ghz - 800Mhz FSB with 1 gb RAM and it is just able to browse with firefox without hanging.
Assuming you give it a try you can not use any new browser on your current PC - and the browser that your PC can handle would not be able to open any webpage properly - you know the various plugins or 3d effect the webpages use this days would be incompatible with your browser. If you find this unbelievable find out the minimum requirements for any new browser.Its not the RAM - FSB 66/100 Mhz is nothing in todays world.And yeah Windows 98 is the most suitable for the mobo you are talking about.By the Way , whats so special about this mobo that you do not want to dump it ?

rwswan

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks Alexoiu.
Speed94 There's nothing particularly special about this mobo, just that I had it sitting in the bin. Thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone had a conceivably useful idea. What are your thoughts about using it as a server for a small office with 5 Windows XP 32bit PCs and laptops, with a linux os (say Ubuntu) or FreeNAS OS? Or maybe just a basic home server? Do you think it would be too slow even for these? Like I said I'm not especially confident when it comes to hardware performance and advice, comments or suggestions are welcome.

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

well .....server would be okay i think with maybe office 2003 or earlier for office stuffs.but thats the max i think with 512 mb ram each / preferrably windows 98 or windows xp pro sp 1 - obviously 32 bit - no point it can handle for 64-bit.i hope you understand what i mean to convey tp you - i do not want to make fun of anybody - just tell you the truth.