Computer Shuts down after new Processor

Umbassa

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hello again everyone.

I am a novice when it comes to computer building and are trying to upgrade my computer processor. Right now I use a 2.20 gigahertz Intel Celeron 450, which is very old and out of date, and wanted to move up to a slighty newer Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz. I use a PEGATRON CORPORATION EVANS 1.02 motherboard. (I think)

the heatsink that came with the new processor DID NOT FIT, so i wanted to use my older heatsink. so i cleaned and reapplied thermal paste on it, but after about 10 seconds the computer shuts down. My screen is black and I have to turn my computer back on again.

My motherboard isn't dead because when I took out the new processor and put in the old one it worked fine.

What am I doing wrong? Do I really need to buy a new heatsink or is the processor just bad?

Thanks.

It sounds like the board is shutting down because the CPU is overheating, which indicates the CPU cooler is not enough for the new CPU. If you don't want to replace the CPU cooler, you could try entering the BIOS to increase the shut-down temp - I would not increase to more than 75C (just my personal preference to avoid damaging the CPU).