Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nintendo DS Misconception

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:55:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

People that say that the DS does not have analog control are either ignorant
or lying. All you need to do is check out Mario64 on it to see that it
does.

Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.

More about : nintendo misconception

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
>
> People that say that the DS does not have analog control are either ignorant
> or lying. All you need to do is check out Mario64 on it to see that it
> does.
>
> Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.

who cares? This is a ps2 group.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:17:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
> People that say that the DS does not have analog control are either ignorant
> or lying. All you need to do is check out Mario64 on it to see that it
> does.
>
> Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.

One, why is this in a PS2 group?

Two, if there is an analog stick/control/doo-hickey on the DS, please
post a picture of it since on all the DS *I've* seen, I've yet to
notice any analog device.

Three, your troll-dom is almost complete. I figure one more anti-PSP
post and you're there.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:56:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c02f28$0$725$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>People that say that the DS does not have analog control are either ignorant
>or lying. All you need to do is check out Mario64 on it to see that it
>does.
>
>Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.
>
>
I've said many times before that the touch screen is no substitute for a real
analog stick. Please keep up Fred. Here is a little blurb from the IGN review
of it since your so hell bent on proof of everything.

"Though the Nintendo DS developers pull off the game's original control
structure extraordinarily well on a system without an analog stick, it still
feels like a compromise and begs the question,"if this is your killer app to
show off the system, why the heck didn't you include one in the first place?"

It doesn't make it a bad game but after playing it on the N64 I didn't want to
play it without the analog control or a good version of that analog control.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:59:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c02f28$0$725$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>People that say that the DS does not have analog control are either ignorant
>or lying. All you need to do is check out Mario64 on it to see that it
>does.
>
>Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.
>
>
Some of those good games they showed at E3 will be the only thing to turn me
around on the DS(that lawyer game and that Doctor/surgeon game).
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:42:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Robert P Holley wrote:
>
> Fred Liken wrote:
> > People that say that the DS does not have analog control are either ignorant
> > or lying. All you need to do is check out Mario64 on it to see that it
> > does.
> >
> > Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.
>
> One, why is this in a PS2 group?
>
> Two, if there is an analog stick/control/doo-hickey on the DS, please
> post a picture of it since on all the DS *I've* seen, I've yet to
> notice any analog device.
>
> Three, your troll-dom is almost complete. I figure one more anti-PSP
> post and you're there.

I just did a little hunt to see what the fuss is about... is this the
thing?

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/nintendo_ds/dreaming/nds...

seems to be a dream

on a super mario ds page

"With no analogue controller you have the choice to use just the D-pad
or the stylus."

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:54:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
news:Ge1we.3943$Eo.541@fed1read04...
> In article <42c02f28$0$725$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>
>>People that say that the DS does not have analog control are either
>>ignorant
>>or lying. All you need to do is check out Mario64 on it to see that it
>>does.
>>
>>Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.
>>
>>
> I've said many times before that the touch screen is no substitute for a
> real
> analog stick. Please keep up Fred. Here is a little blurb from the IGN
> review
> of it since your so hell bent on proof of everything.
>
> "Though the Nintendo DS developers pull off the game's original control
> structure extraordinarily well on a system without an analog stick, it
> still
> feels like a compromise and begs the question,"if this is your killer app
> to
> show off the system, why the heck didn't you include one in the first
> place?"
>
> It doesn't make it a bad game but after playing it on the N64 I didn't
> want to
> play it without the analog control or a good version of that analog
> control.

The analog control is "good". It's quite good. Is there a quick learning
curve? True.

The fact is that you haven't even tried. Your mind was made up before and
you're just being an ignorant twit now. :) 
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:57:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
news:1119925063.066058.168520@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

>> Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.
>
> One, why is this in a PS2 group?

That's where Jojo is and where he's said it lacks analog control. Duh.
People in the Nintendo group already know the DS has analog control.

> Two, if there is an analog stick/control/doo-hickey on the DS, please
> post a picture of it since on all the DS *I've* seen, I've yet to
> notice any analog device.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/images/thum...

> Three, your troll-dom is almost complete. I figure one more anti-PSP
> post and you're there.

What was anti-PSP about this post, silly kook?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:58:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> on a super mario ds page
>
> "With no analogue controller you have the choice to use just the D-pad
> or the stylus."

Quite spreading misinformation. It makes you look like a troll.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 3:26:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Then play it the way it was made to be played, with the analog control.
>
> Fred, don't be a dick, it has a touch screen, we know that,

Yes, you use the touch screen just like the PSP analog control nub. When
you place your thumb on it, it even shows you the bounds of the stick.

you know
> that and you've about as much chance of winning this argument as you
> have of convincing us that you are not being a prat

You're just spreading misinformation and your heatedness is ridiculous. Did
you even view the image from Nintendo.com that proves the DS has analog
control?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:57:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
>
> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > on a super mario ds page
> >
> > "With no analogue controller you have the choice to use just the D-pad
> > or the stylus."
>
> Quite spreading misinformation. It makes you look like a troll.

you would be funny if you didn't take yourself so seriously. I
searched for a long time to find anything pointing to true analogue
control. A touch screen is not an analogue controller Fred, and this
claling people who reply negatively to your claims trolls is getting
old
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:57:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

>> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> > on a super mario ds page
>> >
>> > "With no analogue controller you have the choice to use just the D-pad
>> > or the stylus."
>>
>> Quite spreading misinformation. It makes you look like a troll.
>
> you would be funny if you didn't take yourself so seriously.

You'd be a lot cooler if you realized I don't.

> I
> searched for a long time to find anything pointing to true analogue
> control.

Yes, it has true analog control. As true as analog control as the PSP or
N64 has. It even shows you in the instructions exactly how to use the
analog controller for the DS.

How could you not find that info?

> A touch screen is not an analogue controller Fred,

Um, it has the same exact properties as the PSP analog controller, so what
is your claim that it isn't an analog controller? You use them exactly the
same for the exact same result. You're spreading misinformation, but can't
back up your claims.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:06:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c1643d$0$742$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:Ge1we.3943$Eo.541@fed1read04...
>> In article <42c02f28$0$725$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>>
>>>People that say that the DS does not have analog control are either
>>>ignorant
>>>or lying. All you need to do is check out Mario64 on it to see that it
>>>does.
>>>
>>>Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.
>>>
>>>
>> I've said many times before that the touch screen is no substitute for a
>> real
>> analog stick. Please keep up Fred. Here is a little blurb from the IGN
>> review
>> of it since your so hell bent on proof of everything.
>>
>> "Though the Nintendo DS developers pull off the game's original control
>> structure extraordinarily well on a system without an analog stick, it
>> still
>> feels like a compromise and begs the question,"if this is your killer app
>> to
>> show off the system, why the heck didn't you include one in the first
>> place?"
>>
>> It doesn't make it a bad game but after playing it on the N64 I didn't
>> want to
>> play it without the analog control or a good version of that analog
>> control.
>
>The analog control is "good". It's quite good. Is there a quick learning
>curve? True.
>
>The fact is that you haven't even tried. Your mind was made up before and
>you're just being an ignorant twit now. :) 
>
>

Tried it for over three hours and it just doesnt work as well as an analog
joystick would. Read any review for this game from any website and they
mention the poor control. Get over it already.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:06:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o sfwe.3997$Eo.1810@fed1read04...

> Tried it for over three hours and it just doesnt work as well as an analog
> joystick would.

Wow, wonder what your problem was. Did you use the dongle?

> Read any review for this game from any website and they
> mention the poor control. Get over it already.

That game had poor control on the N64. What's your point?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:07:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
>
> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
> >> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>
> >> > on a super mario ds page
> >> >
> >> > "With no analogue controller you have the choice to use just the D-pad
> >> > or the stylus."
> >>
> >> Quite spreading misinformation. It makes you look like a troll.
> >
> > you would be funny if you didn't take yourself so seriously.
>
> You'd be a lot cooler if you realized I don't.
>
> > I
> > searched for a long time to find anything pointing to true analogue
> > control.
>
> Yes, it has true analog control. As true as analog control as the PSP or
> N64 has. It even shows you in the instructions exactly how to use the
> analog controller for the DS.
>
> How could you not find that info?
>
> > A touch screen is not an analogue controller Fred,
>
> Um, it has the same exact properties as the PSP analog controller, so what
> is your claim that it isn't an analog controller? You use them exactly the
> same for the exact same result. You're spreading misinformation, but can't
> back up your claims.

Look, a controller is a stick/button which controls things. a screen
is a screen. You could argue that the stylus replaces the controller
and you may have a point, but they're not the same thing. How does the
analogue work on the screen? if you press harder on the screen you go,
what? Through the screen? analogue is a pressure thing isn't it? A
mechanical process against a digital process?

Anyway, none of this means anything to me. I have no real interest
other than you starting a new thread on an argument which is totally
irrelevant to this newsgroup, other than you seem to want the psp to
fail and the ds to succeed.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:07:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

>> Um, it has the same exact properties as the PSP analog controller, so
>> what
>> is your claim that it isn't an analog controller? You use them exactly
>> the
>> same for the exact same result. You're spreading misinformation, but
>> can't
>> back up your claims.
>
> Look, a controller is a stick/button which controls things. a screen
> is a screen.

Not when the screen is also controller. Must be warping your mind.

> You could argue that the stylus replaces the controller
> and you may have a point,

Now, the stylus is not the way to use the analog control of the DS. The
thumb is, just like on the PSP.

> but they're not the same thing.

> How does the analogue work on the screen?

Just like it works on the PSP. You move your thumb one dicrection and it
moves in that direction. The farther from the dead spot you move your
thumb, the more you'll move in that direction.

> if you press harder on the screen you go,
> what? Through the screen?

If you press harder on the PSP nub you go, what, through the PSP? You're
not even making sense now.

> analogue is a pressure thing isn't it?

Um, no...

> A mechanical process against a digital process?

Um, no...

The N64 and the PSP both use "digital processes" in their analog
controllers. Same as the DS uses. All they do is assign a value to an X
and Y axis. In a "digital" controller the values are either -1 0 or 1. In
the analog controllers they assign intermediate values, just like the DS
analog controller works.

> Anyway, none of this means anything to me. I have no real interest
> other than you starting a new thread on an argument which is totally
> irrelevant to this newsgroup,

Yes it most definitely is relevant to this group. Comparisons of products
to their competitors is very much on topic. Clearing up misinformation
about a competitor only helps people better understand the positions that
the two products have and relative aspects of each.

> other than you seem to want the psp to fail and the ds to succeed.

You're just a binary thinker. It's sad. Why would I want the PSP to fail?
More competition equals more innovation.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c178f1$0$723$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
>>> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> > on a super mario ds page
>>> >
>>> > "With no analogue controller you have the choice to use just the D-pad
>>> > or the stylus."
>>>
>>> Quite spreading misinformation. It makes you look like a troll.
>>
>> you would be funny if you didn't take yourself so seriously.
>
>You'd be a lot cooler if you realized I don't.
>
>> I
>> searched for a long time to find anything pointing to true analogue
>> control.
>
>Yes, it has true analog control. As true as analog control as the PSP or
>N64 has. It even shows you in the instructions exactly how to use the
>analog controller for the DS.
>
>How could you not find that info?
>
>> A touch screen is not an analogue controller Fred,
>
>Um, it has the same exact properties as the PSP analog controller, so what
>is your claim that it isn't an analog controller? You use them exactly the
>same for the exact same result. You're spreading misinformation, but can't
>back up your claims.
>
>

Read any review from any website about the difference between a regular analog
controller and what the DS has.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:12:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c164dc$0$737$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>news:1119925063.066058.168520@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>>> Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.
>>
>> One, why is this in a PS2 group?
>
>That's where Jojo is and where he's said it lacks analog control. Duh.
>People in the Nintendo group already know the DS has analog control.
>

That was a comparison post of the PSP and the DS. This post has nothing to do
with the PSP.

>> Two, if there is an analog stick/control/doo-hickey on the DS, please
>> post a picture of it since on all the DS *I've* seen, I've yet to
>> notice any analog device.
>
>http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/images/thum...
>
>> Three, your troll-dom is almost complete. I figure one more anti-PSP
>> post and you're there.
>
>What was anti-PSP about this post, silly kook?
>
>
This post had nothing to do with any Sony system and has no business being in
a Playstation newsgroup.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:12:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
news:Ixfwe.3999$Eo.720@fed1read04...

> This post had nothing to do with any Sony system and has no business being
> in
> a Playstation newsgroup.

Oh, now, Jojojo, quit being fresh. It has more business being in a
playstation group than your tom cruise post. :) 
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:18:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
>
> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> >> Then play it the way it was made to be played, with the analog control.
> >
> > Fred, don't be a dick, it has a touch screen, we know that,
>
> Yes, you use the touch screen just like the PSP analog control nub. When
> you place your thumb on it, it even shows you the bounds of the stick.
>
Now why didn't you say that? Not quite the same thing and as I said
the complaints against it are that it DOESN't have analogue control.
You said I was spreading disinformation where all I did was say what i
saw. So far you are the only person I've seen saying that this
analogue control exists. a digital representation of something is just
that. It's not real, but a digital look alike. Is the screen really
pressure sensitive? does something happen, apart from damage, if you
press harder or lighter?


> you know
> > that and you've about as much chance of winning this argument as you
> > have of convincing us that you are not being a prat
>
> You're just spreading misinformation and your heatedness is ridiculous. Did
> you even view the image from Nintendo.com that proves the DS has analog
> control?

No, where is that? All I see is pages telling you you can use your
thumb or stylus to control things. Nowhere does it use the words
analogue control. Would you like to point us towards this screen?

Oh, hold on, i found this in the tech bits

Touch Screen: Same as upper screen, but with transparent analogue
touch screen
but still no pic of this control Fred.

Say something long enough and loud enough and people will believe you,
eh Fred? This isn't my argument, but yours. remember when we had to
take your word that your local shop was returning bulk loads of psps
to shops?

do you even own a ps2?


--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:34:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c17979$0$695$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>> Then play it the way it was made to be played, with the analog control.
>>
>> Fred, don't be a dick, it has a touch screen, we know that,
>
>Yes, you use the touch screen just like the PSP analog control nub. When
>you place your thumb on it, it even shows you the bounds of the stick.
>
> you know
>> that and you've about as much chance of winning this argument as you
>> have of convincing us that you are not being a prat
>
>You're just spreading misinformation and your heatedness is ridiculous. Did
>you even view the image from Nintendo.com that proves the DS has analog
>control?
>
>

From Gamespots review:

"The original Mario 64 relied heavily on the N64's analog joystick, so Mario
64 DS gives you a few different control options that attempt to emulate the
control in different ways. By default, the game is configured to let you play
without using the system's touch screen. The D pad is used for movement, and
the buttons are used for jumping, ducking, attacking, and running. While you
can also use the touch screen for running, the other two control modes are
somewhat better suited for use with the touch screen, letting you shuffle the
buttons around a bit to give you more control over your character. Although
the three options do a decent job of letting you control your character, none
of them are quite as refined as the analog joystick that was used to control
Mario back in the original game. The D pad's digital nature makes moving with
it rather imprecise. It attempts to make up for the lack of refinement by
being a little more momentum-based, but you'll still find yourself running off
of ledges more often than you'd like. Using the touch screen really isn't much
better. You'll have full analog control over your movement, but changing
directions isn't as fluid as it should be. The control issues aren't
insurmountable, but it's a bummer that the game doesn't control as well as the
original. Super Mario 64 is a game that requires a lot of precision movements,
and it's unfortunate that none of the available control options are quite up
to the task."

From Gamers.com/EGM

"The problem comes with the control, and there are a couple of ways to look at
this. The first is to look at the fact that the original game actually
affected the design of the Nintendo 64 controllers, adding an analog stick and
camera buttons specifically to make Super Mario 64 as great an experience as
it was. Unfortunately, the Nintendo DS doesn't have an analog stick on its
system, but Nintendo has allowed for analog control through a thumb stylus
(we'll talk more about that soon), as well as a digital control option.

Now, instead of being able to control your character's movement from
tip-toeing to running, Nintendo is asking you to literally strap on a thumb
stylus (a piece of plastic that is placed on the pad of your thumb) and use
the touch screen as a substitute to the analog stick made for the game. As you
can imagine, strapping on a piece of plastic and sliding your thumb around a
smooth surface takes some time to get used to, and while it's a nice attempt
at recreating the analog control, it falls woefully short. Instead, you'll
probably find yourself opting for the digital pad control, even if the run
button, jump button, and attack button are awkwardly placed for fast gaming."


From Gamespy:

"We Miss You, Analog

My biggest complaint about Super Mario 64 DS is that the control takes a bit
of getting used to. This stems from the fact that the game was originally
designed to take advantage of the N64's analog controller. Since the DS
doesn't have one, Nintendo adapted the game to use the digital pad. I
admittedly had some trouble getting used to the d-pad at first, but after
collecting a star or two, I found myself becoming more and more comfortable
with it.

The other control option is to use the touch screen as a virtual analog pad.
By touching the screen (and I recommend using the DS's included wrist strap
thumb protector), you create a small circle below your thumb. This is your
"analog stick." If you keep your thumb in the center of the circle, your
character won't move. Slide your thumb to the edge of the circle, and they
burst into a full run. The only trick with this control method is that if you
move your thumb off the circle that you created, the circle moves with you.
Once you hit the edge of the touch screen, you're forced to reposition your
thumb, which can create problems with your in-game character. It's best if you
train yourself to not move your thumb wildly around the screen, instead
keeping it centered around where you initially touched."

You need more Fred?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:22:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c18b01$0$687$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:o sfwe.3997$Eo.1810@fed1read04...
>
>> Tried it for over three hours and it just doesnt work as well as an analog
>> joystick would.
>
>Wow, wonder what your problem was. Did you use the dongle?
>
Yep and it still isn't the same as a regular analog controller.

>> Read any review for this game from any website and they
>> mention the poor control. Get over it already.
>
>That game had poor control on the N64. What's your point?
>
>
They mention the poor control in relation to the original N64 game which had
great control. Not sure what your point is? Are you sure what it is?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:25:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c18b50$0$684$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:Ixfwe.3999$Eo.720@fed1read04...
>
>> This post had nothing to do with any Sony system and has no business being
>> in
>> a Playstation newsgroup.
>
>Oh, now, Jojojo, quit being fresh. It has more business being in a
>playstation group than your tom cruise post. :) 
>
>

Hmmm. I don't recall seeing a OT: before your post. Stop trolling.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:28:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42C18634.CC0BEF52@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk
says...
>
>Fred Liken wrote:
>>
>> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> >> Then play it the way it was made to be played, with the analog control.
>> >
>> > Fred, don't be a dick, it has a touch screen, we know that,
>>
>> Yes, you use the touch screen just like the PSP analog control nub. When
>> you place your thumb on it, it even shows you the bounds of the stick.
>>
>Now why didn't you say that? Not quite the same thing and as I said
>the complaints against it are that it DOESN't have analogue control.
>You said I was spreading disinformation where all I did was say what i
>saw. So far you are the only person I've seen saying that this
>analogue control exists. a digital representation of something is just
>that. It's not real, but a digital look alike. Is the screen really
>pressure sensitive? does something happen, apart from damage, if you
>press harder or lighter?
>
>
>> you know
>> > that and you've about as much chance of winning this argument as you
>> > have of convincing us that you are not being a prat
>>
>> You're just spreading misinformation and your heatedness is ridiculous.
Did
>> you even view the image from Nintendo.com that proves the DS has analog
>> control?
>
>No, where is that? All I see is pages telling you you can use your
>thumb or stylus to control things. Nowhere does it use the words
>analogue control. Would you like to point us towards this screen?
>
>Oh, hold on, i found this in the tech bits
>
>Touch Screen: Same as upper screen, but with transparent analogue
>touch screen
>but still no pic of this control Fred.
>
>Say something long enough and loud enough and people will believe you,
>eh Fred? This isn't my argument, but yours. remember when we had to
>take your word that your local shop was returning bulk loads of psps
>to shops?
>
>do you even own a ps2?


I hope not. He needs to spend his money on professional help.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:46:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> Not when the screen is also controller. Must be warping your mind.
>
you're like a stuck record

> > You could argue that the stylus replaces the controller
> > and you may have a point,
>
> Now, the stylus is not the way to use the analog control of the DS. The
> thumb is, just like on the PSP.
>

no it isn't and you know it.

> > but they're not the same thing.
>
> > How does the analogue work on the screen?
>
> Just like it works on the PSP. You move your thumb one dicrection and it
> moves in that direction. The farther from the dead spot you move your
> thumb, the more you'll move in that direction.

a stick is a mechanical device

>
> > if you press harder on the screen you go,
> > what? Through the screen?
>
> If you press harder on the PSP nub you go, what, through the PSP? You're
> not even making sense now.
>

you know something, you think that by talking out of your arse people
are going to think you're clever. Does the screen react to pressure?
if the psp has an analogue stick a gentle movement will be exactly
that. Will the screen react that way too?

> > analogue is a pressure thing isn't it?
>
> Um, no...
>
> > A mechanical process against a digital process?
>
> Um, no...
>
> The N64 and the PSP both use "digital processes" in their analog
> controllers. Same as the DS uses. All they do is assign a value to an X
> and Y axis. In a "digital" controller the values are either -1 0 or 1. In
> the analog controllers they assign intermediate values, just like the DS
> analog controller works.

I'd have to look at the internals to agree or disagree and to be
honest I don't have any of these machines in a bad enough condition
where I'd want to dismantle them

>
> > Anyway, none of this means anything to me. I have no real interest
> > other than you starting a new thread on an argument which is totally
> > irrelevant to this newsgroup,
>
> Yes it most definitely is relevant to this group. Comparisons of products
> to their competitors is very much on topic. Clearing up misinformation
> about a competitor only helps people better understand the positions that
> the two products have and relative aspects of each.

bollocks, you hope, in some small way, that you can affect sales of a
product by pushing another. This is a playstation group, not a
nintendo group and your posts are intended to do damage and inflame
situations. That's why you posted this separately, to draw attention.
It is called trolling, Fred

>
> > other than you seem to want the psp to fail and the ds to succeed.
>
> You're just a binary thinker. It's sad. Why would I want the PSP to fail?
> More competition equals more innovation.

Oh good, something we agree on, though I don't know what the bloody
hell my thinking has to do with binaries. If you had even the
slightest idea how I think I'm sure you would say the chip is faulty.


--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:46:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Now, the stylus is not the way to use the analog control of the DS. The
>> thumb is, just like on the PSP.
>
> no it isn't and you know it.

Yes it is. You push right, you go right. You push a little right you go a
little right. Etc etc etc. It's exactly like the PSP analog control. It
slides just like the other.

>> > but they're not the same thing.
>>
>> > How does the analogue work on the screen?
>>
>> Just like it works on the PSP. You move your thumb one dicrection and it
>> moves in that direction. The farther from the dead spot you move your
>> thumb, the more you'll move in that direction.
>
> a stick is a mechanical device

So is your thumb with the pointer pad on it. What is your point? They are
the same, like I said.

But, now you're just flailing. They operate the same.

>> > if you press harder on the screen you go,
>> > what? Through the screen?
>>
>> If you press harder on the PSP nub you go, what, through the PSP? You're
>> not even making sense now.
>
> you know something, you think that by talking out of your arse people
> are going to think you're clever.

You were the one that said you'd push through the screen. That's talking
out of your ass, my friend, so don't get all upset when it's done back.

> Does the screen react to pressure?

That's non-sequitor.

> if the psp has an analogue stick a gentle movement will be exactly
> that. Will the screen react that way too?

Yes, if you only move a slight bit from center, you will get a gentle
movement in Mario on the 64DS. It's exactly the same.

>> > analogue is a pressure thing isn't it?
>>
>> Um, no...
>>
>> > A mechanical process against a digital process?
>>
>> Um, no...
>>
>> The N64 and the PSP both use "digital processes" in their analog
>> controllers. Same as the DS uses. All they do is assign a value to an X
>> and Y axis. In a "digital" controller the values are either -1 0 or 1.
>> In
>> the analog controllers they assign intermediate values, just like the DS
>> analog controller works.
>
> I'd have to look at the internals to agree or disagree and to be
> honest

Um, no you wouldn't. And if you don't already know that, then I'm not sure
taking apart anything is going to do you any good. It's common knowledge.
Just hit the web, silly goose. These aren't magical devices with strange
properties. They are the same devices that have been around for decades.

They are functionally the same. You slide your thumb one direction it goes
one way with a varying amount of intensity. They are exactly the same since
the PSP just slides anyways.

> I don't have any of these machines in a bad enough condition
> where I'd want to dismantle them

Then don't. Just hit the web.

>> > Anyway, none of this means anything to me. I have no real interest
>> > other than you starting a new thread on an argument which is totally
>> > irrelevant to this newsgroup,
>>
>> Yes it most definitely is relevant to this group. Comparisons of
>> products
>> to their competitors is very much on topic. Clearing up misinformation
>> about a competitor only helps people better understand the positions that
>> the two products have and relative aspects of each.
>
> bollocks, you hope, in some small way, that you can affect sales of a
> product by pushing another.

What? As if anyone would make a decision on whether or not to buy a PSP
based on this thread.

> This is a playstation group, not a
> nintendo group and your posts are intended to do damage and inflame
> situations.

Why must it be DAMAGING to point out something? That only means that you
feel the truth is something that should be squelched so that misconceptions
can remain and you can live in your fantasy world. What's damaging about
the truth?

> That's why you posted this separately, to draw attention.

What?

> It is called trolling, Fred

You're just saying that because that's your kneejerk reaction to everything
you feel threatened by. It's dumb.

>> > other than you seem to want the psp to fail and the ds to succeed.
>>
>> You're just a binary thinker. It's sad. Why would I want the PSP to
>> fail?
>> More competition equals more innovation.
>
> Oh good, something we agree on, though I don't know what the bloody
> hell my thinking has to do with binaries. If you had even the
> slightest idea how I think I'm sure you would say the chip is faulty.

Yawn.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:47:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:

> >do you even own a ps2?
>
> I hope not. He needs to spend his money on professional help.

:o ))
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:48:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>
> In article <42c17979$0$695$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
> >
> >"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> >>> Then play it the way it was made to be played, with the analog control.
> >>
> >> Fred, don't be a dick, it has a touch screen, we know that,
> >
> >Yes, you use the touch screen just like the PSP analog control nub. When
> >you place your thumb on it, it even shows you the bounds of the stick.
> >
> > you know
> >> that and you've about as much chance of winning this argument as you
> >> have of convincing us that you are not being a prat
> >
> >You're just spreading misinformation and your heatedness is ridiculous. Did
> >you even view the image from Nintendo.com that proves the DS has analog
> >control?
> >
> >
>
> From Gamespots review:
>
> "The original Mario 64 relied heavily on the N64's analog joystick, so Mario
> 64 DS gives you a few different control options that attempt to emulate the
> control in different ways. By default, the game is configured to let you play
> without using the system's touch screen. The D pad is used for movement, and
> the buttons are used for jumping, ducking, attacking, and running. While you
> can also use the touch screen for running, the other two control modes are
> somewhat better suited for use with the touch screen, letting you shuffle the
> buttons around a bit to give you more control over your character. Although
> the three options do a decent job of letting you control your character, none
> of them are quite as refined as the analog joystick that was used to control
> Mario back in the original game. The D pad's digital nature makes moving with
> it rather imprecise. It attempts to make up for the lack of refinement by
> being a little more momentum-based, but you'll still find yourself running off
> of ledges more often than you'd like. Using the touch screen really isn't much
> better. You'll have full analog control over your movement, but changing
> directions isn't as fluid as it should be. The control issues aren't
> insurmountable, but it's a bummer that the game doesn't control as well as the
> original. Super Mario 64 is a game that requires a lot of precision movements,
> and it's unfortunate that none of the available control options are quite up
> to the task."
>
> From Gamers.com/EGM
>
> "The problem comes with the control, and there are a couple of ways to look at
> this. The first is to look at the fact that the original game actually
> affected the design of the Nintendo 64 controllers, adding an analog stick and
> camera buttons specifically to make Super Mario 64 as great an experience as
> it was. Unfortunately, the Nintendo DS doesn't have an analog stick on its
> system, but Nintendo has allowed for analog control through a thumb stylus
> (we'll talk more about that soon), as well as a digital control option.
>
> Now, instead of being able to control your character's movement from
> tip-toeing to running, Nintendo is asking you to literally strap on a thumb
> stylus (a piece of plastic that is placed on the pad of your thumb) and use
> the touch screen as a substitute to the analog stick made for the game. As you
> can imagine, strapping on a piece of plastic and sliding your thumb around a
> smooth surface takes some time to get used to, and while it's a nice attempt
> at recreating the analog control, it falls woefully short. Instead, you'll
> probably find yourself opting for the digital pad control, even if the run
> button, jump button, and attack button are awkwardly placed for fast gaming."
>
> From Gamespy:
>
> "We Miss You, Analog
>
> My biggest complaint about Super Mario 64 DS is that the control takes a bit
> of getting used to. This stems from the fact that the game was originally
> designed to take advantage of the N64's analog controller. Since the DS
> doesn't have one, Nintendo adapted the game to use the digital pad. I
> admittedly had some trouble getting used to the d-pad at first, but after
> collecting a star or two, I found myself becoming more and more comfortable
> with it.
>
> The other control option is to use the touch screen as a virtual analog pad.
> By touching the screen (and I recommend using the DS's included wrist strap
> thumb protector), you create a small circle below your thumb. This is your
> "analog stick." If you keep your thumb in the center of the circle, your
> character won't move. Slide your thumb to the edge of the circle, and they
> burst into a full run. The only trick with this control method is that if you
> move your thumb off the circle that you created, the circle moves with you.
> Once you hit the edge of the touch screen, you're forced to reposition your
> thumb, which can create problems with your in-game character. It's best if you
> train yourself to not move your thumb wildly around the screen, instead
> keeping it centered around where you initially touched."
>
> You need more Fred?

I should think he will as none of this backs up his argument
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:25:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
>
> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> >> Now, the stylus is not the way to use the analog control of the DS. The
> >> thumb is, just like on the PSP.
> >
> > no it isn't and you know it.
>
> Yes it is. You push right, you go right. You push a little right you go a
> little right. Etc etc etc. It's exactly like the PSP analog control. It
> slides just like the other.
>
except one is a screen, the other is a control, hence it being a
control... geddit?

> >> > but they're not the same thing.
> >>
> >> > How does the analogue work on the screen?
> >>
> >> Just like it works on the PSP. You move your thumb one dicrection and it
> >> moves in that direction. The farther from the dead spot you move your
> >> thumb, the more you'll move in that direction.
> >
> > a stick is a mechanical device
>
> So is your thumb with the pointer pad on it. What is your point? They are
> the same, like I said.
>

you bore me so much.

> But, now you're just flailing. They operate the same.
>
now you're just responding in the same tiresome way to everything ever
said to you by anyone

> They are functionally the same. You slide your thumb one direction it goes
> one way with a varying amount of intensity. They are exactly the same since
> the PSP just slides anyways.
>
> > I don't have any of these machines in a bad enough condition
> > where I'd want to dismantle them
>
> Then don't. Just hit the web.

You can find information to back just about any argument up on the
web.

> > bollocks, you hope, in some small way, that you can affect sales of a
> > product by pushing another.
>
> What? As if anyone would make a decision on whether or not to buy a PSP
> based on this thread.
>
I wouldn't but that's because I can tell the difference between a
genuine and unbiased view and a troll poster

> > This is a playstation group, not a
> > nintendo group and your posts are intended to do damage and inflame
> > situations.
>
> Why must it be DAMAGING to point out something? That only means that you
> feel the truth is something that should be squelched so that misconceptions
> can remain and you can live in your fantasy world. What's damaging about
> the truth?
>
The truth, as YOU see it is one thing. There are always many versions
of the truth

> > That's why you posted this separately, to draw attention.
>
> What?
>
> > It is called trolling, Fred
>
> You're just saying that because that's your kneejerk reaction to everything
> you feel threatened by. It's dumb.

Fred, I have this great idea. Why don't you take your imaginary
analogue control with your thumb still attached and stick it up your
backside where it belongs?




--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:25:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

>> >> Now, the stylus is not the way to use the analog control of the DS.
>> >> The
>> >> thumb is, just like on the PSP.
>> >
>> > no it isn't and you know it.
>>
>> Yes it is. You push right, you go right. You push a little right you go
>> a
>> little right. Etc etc etc. It's exactly like the PSP analog control.
>> It
>> slides just like the other.
>>
> except one is a screen, the other is a control, hence it being a
> control... geddit?

No, the DS screen is a screen. The touchpad over the screen is a control.
What part is so hard for you to understand? When you touch your PC screen,
does the mouse move?

>> >> Just like it works on the PSP. You move your thumb one dicrection and
>> >> it
>> >> moves in that direction. The farther from the dead spot you move your
>> >> thumb, the more you'll move in that direction.
>> >
>> > a stick is a mechanical device
>>
>> So is your thumb with the pointer pad on it. What is your point? They
>> are
>> the same, like I said.
>
> you bore me so much.

I honestly don't doubt that. You don't understand the discussion and are
bored. Just like people in classes over their heads.

>> But, now you're just flailing. They operate the same.
>>
> now you're just responding in the same tiresome way to everything ever
> said to you by anyone

It tends to happen when you start flailing.

>> They are functionally the same. You slide your thumb one direction it
>> goes
>> one way with a varying amount of intensity. They are exactly the same
>> since
>> the PSP just slides anyways.
>>
>> > I don't have any of these machines in a bad enough condition
>> > where I'd want to dismantle them
>>
>> Then don't. Just hit the web.
>
> You can find information to back just about any argument up on the
> web.

Ok, so we can at least leave this at the point where you are admitting that
you don't know how they operate. That's fine by me.

>> > bollocks, you hope, in some small way, that you can affect sales of a
>> > product by pushing another.
>>
>> What? As if anyone would make a decision on whether or not to buy a PSP
>> based on this thread.
>>
> I wouldn't but that's because I can tell the difference between a
> genuine and unbiased view and a troll poster

What's biased about stating the fact that the touchscreen is used as an
analog controller? You're showing exactly how hard you're having to stretch
things to make me into something I'm not.

>> > It is called trolling, Fred
>>
>> You're just saying that because that's your kneejerk reaction to
>> everything
>> you feel threatened by. It's dumb.
>
> Fred, I have this great idea. Why don't you take your imaginary
> analogue control with your thumb still attached and stick it up your
> backside where it belongs?

And you resort to name calling when you're out of actual ability to discuss
the topic. Amazing world you live in.

Fact is, you've admitted your ignorance and I've backed up the fact.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:51:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> true, but if I wanted to play it or own the machine that plays it I'd
> be reading nintendo groups, not ps2 groups

Yeah, you got a point there...

Wish you could selectively tag a cross-posted thread as [OT] except in the
group(s) where it would actually be ON-topic.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:51:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message

>> true, but if I wanted to play it or own the machine that plays it I'd
>> be reading nintendo groups, not ps2 groups
>
> Yeah, you got a point there...
>
> Wish you could selectively tag a cross-posted thread as [OT] except in the
> group(s) where it would actually be ON-topic.

Or you could just grow up and get over having to see a post? I mean,
there's so few posts in this group it's not like you're going to miss one
because of some OT thread.

Amazing your kind is still around. I guess you're just a slow learner.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:02:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42C1C03B.F26E8A31@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk
says...
>
>Fred Liken wrote:
>>
>> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> >> Now, the stylus is not the way to use the analog control of the DS. The
>> >> thumb is, just like on the PSP.
>> >
>> > no it isn't and you know it.
>>
>> Yes it is. You push right, you go right. You push a little right you go a
>> little right. Etc etc etc. It's exactly like the PSP analog control. It
>> slides just like the other.
>>
>except one is a screen, the other is a control, hence it being a
>control... geddit?
>
>> >> > but they're not the same thing.
>> >>
>> >> > How does the analogue work on the screen?
>> >>
>> >> Just like it works on the PSP. You move your thumb one dicrection and
it
>> >> moves in that direction. The farther from the dead spot you move your
>> >> thumb, the more you'll move in that direction.
>> >
>> > a stick is a mechanical device
>>
>> So is your thumb with the pointer pad on it. What is your point? They are
>> the same, like I said.
>>
>
>you bore me so much.
>
>> But, now you're just flailing. They operate the same.
>>
>now you're just responding in the same tiresome way to everything ever
>said to you by anyone
>
>> They are functionally the same. You slide your thumb one direction it goes
>> one way with a varying amount of intensity. They are exactly the same
since
>> the PSP just slides anyways.
>>
>> > I don't have any of these machines in a bad enough condition
>> > where I'd want to dismantle them
>>
>> Then don't. Just hit the web.
>
>You can find information to back just about any argument up on the
>web.
>
>> > bollocks, you hope, in some small way, that you can affect sales of a
>> > product by pushing another.
>>
>> What? As if anyone would make a decision on whether or not to buy a PSP
>> based on this thread.
>>
>I wouldn't but that's because I can tell the difference between a
>genuine and unbiased view and a troll poster
>
>> > This is a playstation group, not a
>> > nintendo group and your posts are intended to do damage and inflame
>> > situations.
>>
>> Why must it be DAMAGING to point out something? That only means that you
>> feel the truth is something that should be squelched so that misconceptions
>> can remain and you can live in your fantasy world. What's damaging about
>> the truth?
>>
>The truth, as YOU see it is one thing. There are always many versions
>of the truth
>
>> > That's why you posted this separately, to draw attention.
>>
>> What?
>>
>> > It is called trolling, Fred
>>
>> You're just saying that because that's your kneejerk reaction to everything
>> you feel threatened by. It's dumb.
>
>Fred, I have this great idea. Why don't you take your imaginary
>analogue control with your thumb still attached and stick it up your
>backside where it belongs?


Leave Fred to his analog dreams because everybody needs to dream a little
dream now and then.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:16:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Doug Jacobs wrote:
>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > true, but if I wanted to play it or own the machine that plays it I'd
> > be reading nintendo groups, not ps2 groups
>
> Yeah, you got a point there...
>
> Wish you could selectively tag a cross-posted thread as [OT] except in the
> group(s) where it would actually be ON-topic.

some people seem to be able to but I can't with my old netscape. I can
hit senders and subjects, that's it :o (
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:17:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
true, need something to do with his thumb though


--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:12:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> news:1119925063.066058.168520@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> >> Please stop lying, Jojo, et al.
> >
> > One, why is this in a PS2 group?
>
> That's where Jojo is and where he's said it lacks analog control.

So they own you so bad and get under your skin so much, that you are
compelled to create an off-topic thread just for their benefit?

> Duh.
> People in the Nintendo group already know the DS has analog control.

Those people are lying or misinformed.

> > Two, if there is an analog stick/control/doo-hickey on the DS, please
> > post a picture of it since on all the DS *I've* seen, I've yet to
> > notice any analog device.
>
> http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/images/thum...

You're kidding right? A picture of the wrist strap being used as a
thumb stylus is your analog control?

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/wrist_strap...

> > Three, your troll-dom is almost complete. I figure one more anti-PSP
> > post and you're there.
>
> What was anti-PSP about this post, silly kook?

Where did I claim this post to be anti-PSP, Mr McTroll?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:29:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

>> > Two, if there is an analog stick/control/doo-hickey on the DS, please
>> > post a picture of it since on all the DS *I've* seen, I've yet to
>> > notice any analog device.
>>
>> http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/images/thum...
>
> You're kidding right? A picture of the wrist strap being used as a
> thumb stylus is your analog control?

You're kidding, right? How is it different than the PSP analog control?
They work IDENTICALLY.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:36:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Yes, you use the touch screen just like the PSP analog control nub. When
>> you place your thumb on it, it even shows you the bounds of the stick.
>>
> Now why didn't you say that?

I did. You didn't listen.

> Not quite the same thing and as I said
> the complaints against it are that it DOESN't have analogue control.

And that's misinformation.

> You said I was spreading disinformation where all I did was say what i
> saw. So far you are the only person I've seen saying that this
> analogue control exists.

Yes, I probably am the only person you've seen. It's a logical fallacy to
assume that makes me wrong.

> a digital representation of something is just
> that. It's not real, but a digital look alike.

The PSP is a digital look alike then as well. The PSP's analog stick is
just as digital as the DS analog controls. You don't understand how the
PSP's analog controller, as well as the N64's, work, and therefore you
believe there is a disjoint that simply does not exist.

> Is the screen really pressure sensitive?

That's just more of your ignorance. Analog has nothing to do with pressure
sensitivity. It's not part of the definition at all.

>> you know
>> > that and you've about as much chance of winning this argument as you
>> > have of convincing us that you are not being a prat
>>
>> You're just spreading misinformation and your heatedness is ridiculous.
>> Did
>> you even view the image from Nintendo.com that proves the DS has analog
>> control?
>
> No, where is that? All I see is pages telling you you can use your
> thumb or stylus to control things. Nowhere does it use the words
> analogue control. Would you like to point us towards this screen?

I already posted it.

> Say something long enough and loud enough and people will believe you,
> eh Fred?

That's your argument. You've only kept stating the retarded "pressure"
statement and you've admited it's all voodoo to you anyways.

> do you even own a ps2?

More ad hominem attacks. You're not very good at debating. Strawmen and ad
hominem. That's about it.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:12:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
can't you read?

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:14:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
news:jSfwe.4001$Eo.1660@fed1read04...

> >>> Then play it the way it was made to be played, with the analog
> >>> control.
> >>
> >> Fred, don't be a dick, it has a touch screen, we know that,
> >
> >Yes, you use the touch screen just like the PSP analog control nub. When
> >you place your thumb on it, it even shows you the bounds of the stick.

> From Gamespots review:
>
> You'll have FULL ANALOG CONTROL over your movement, but changing
> directions isn't as fluid as it should be. The control issues aren't
> insurmountable, but it's a bummer that the game doesn't control as well as
> the
> original.

> From Gamespy:
>
> By touching the screen (and I recommend using the DS's included wrist
> strap
> thumb protector), you create a small circle below your thumb. This is your
> "ANALOG STICK." If you keep your thumb in the center of the circle, your
> character won't move. Slide your thumb to the edge of the circle, and they
> burst into a full run. ... It's best if you
> train yourself to not move your thumb wildly around the screen, instead
> keeping it centered around where you initially touched."
>
> You need more Fred?

No, those are enough to prove my point that the DS has analog control!
Thanks for finally coming around, my friend!
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:39:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Fred Liken wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>
> >> > Two, if there is an analog stick/control/doo-hickey on the DS, please
> >> > post a picture of it since on all the DS *I've* seen, I've yet to
> >> > notice any analog device.
> >>
> >> http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/images/thum...
> >
> > You're kidding right? A picture of the wrist strap being used as a
> > thumb stylus is your analog control?
>
> You're kidding, right? How is it different than the PSP analog control?
> They work IDENTICALLY.

Why are you bringing up the PSP? Who cares what the PSP does or
doesn't do. This topic is about the DS, Mr Insecurity, and the fact
remains the DS does not have an analog control stick.

You. Lose. Again.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 4:12:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

>> > You're kidding right? A picture of the wrist strap being used as a
>> > thumb stylus is your analog control?
>>
>> You're kidding, right? How is it different than the PSP analog control?
>> They work IDENTICALLY.
>
> Why are you bringing up the PSP?

Because it is accepted here that the PSP has analog control, so to compare
it to the PSP's analog control, which they are identical, would mean that
the DS has analog control.

What's so hard to follow there, Robert? You don't seem up to snuff lately.

> Who cares what the PSP does or doesn't do.

I don't know, but that's hardly the point, if you could follow it. :( 

> This topic is about the DS, Mr Insecurity, and the fact
> remains the DS does not have an analog control stick.

Point out where anyone said it had an analog control stick and I'll give you
a kiss.

> You. Lose. Again.

No, the real loser are all those teachers that failed you and left you
without the ability for reasoning.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:57:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c31c87$0$37157$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:jSfwe.4001$Eo.1660@fed1read04...
>
>> >>> Then play it the way it was made to be played, with the analog
>> >>> control.
>> >>
>> >> Fred, don't be a dick, it has a touch screen, we know that,
>> >
>> >Yes, you use the touch screen just like the PSP analog control nub. When
>> >you place your thumb on it, it even shows you the bounds of the stick.
>
>> From Gamespots review:
>>
>> You'll have FULL ANALOG CONTROL over your movement, but changing
>> directions isn't as fluid as it should be. The control issues aren't
>> insurmountable, but it's a bummer that the game doesn't control as well as
>> the
>> original.
>
>> From Gamespy:
>>
>> By touching the screen (and I recommend using the DS's included wrist
>> strap
>> thumb protector), you create a small circle below your thumb. This is your
>> "ANALOG STICK." If you keep your thumb in the center of the circle, your
>> character won't move. Slide your thumb to the edge of the circle, and they
>> burst into a full run. ... It's best if you
>> train yourself to not move your thumb wildly around the screen, instead
>> keeping it centered around where you initially touched."
>>
>> You need more Fred?
>
>No, those are enough to prove my point that the DS has analog control!
>Thanks for finally coming around, my friend!
>

LOL!!! Why not post the whole section like I did Fred? Do you realize how
pathetic you are Fred? Do you realize that when somebody pathetic like JoJo
calls you pathetic you really must be licking the bottom of the barrel?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:57:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
news:5LTwe.6312$Eo.4018@fed1read04...
> In article <42c31c87$0$37157$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>
>>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>>news:jSfwe.4001$Eo.1660@fed1read04...
>>
>>> >>> Then play it the way it was made to be played, with the analog
>>> >>> control.
>>> >>
>>> >> Fred, don't be a dick, it has a touch screen, we know that,
>>> >
>>> >Yes, you use the touch screen just like the PSP analog control nub.
>>> >When
>>> >you place your thumb on it, it even shows you the bounds of the stick.
>>
>>> From Gamespots review:
>>>
>>> You'll have FULL ANALOG CONTROL over your movement, but changing
>>> directions isn't as fluid as it should be. The control issues aren't
>>> insurmountable, but it's a bummer that the game doesn't control as well
>>> as
>>> the
>>> original.
>>
>>> From Gamespy:
>>>
>>> By touching the screen (and I recommend using the DS's included wrist
>>> strap
>>> thumb protector), you create a small circle below your thumb. This is
>>> your
>>> "ANALOG STICK." If you keep your thumb in the center of the circle, your
>>> character won't move. Slide your thumb to the edge of the circle, and
>>> they
>>> burst into a full run. ... It's best if you
>>> train yourself to not move your thumb wildly around the screen, instead
>>> keeping it centered around where you initially touched."
>>>
>>> You need more Fred?
>>
>>No, those are enough to prove my point that the DS has analog control!
>>Thanks for finally coming around, my friend!
>>
>
> LOL!!! Why not post the whole section like I did Fred? Do you realize how
> pathetic you are Fred? Do you realize that when somebody pathetic like
> JoJo
> calls you pathetic you really must be licking the bottom of the barrel?
>

Fred never has a problem licking bottoms, it comes with the territory.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:57:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
news:5LTwe.6312$Eo.4018@fed1read04...

>>> From Gamespots review:
>>>
>>> You'll have FULL ANALOG CONTROL over your movement, but changing
>>> directions isn't as fluid as it should be. The control issues aren't
>>> insurmountable, but it's a bummer that the game doesn't control as well
>>> as
>>> the
>>> original.
>>
>>> From Gamespy:
>>>
>>> By touching the screen (and I recommend using the DS's included wrist
>>> strap
>>> thumb protector), you create a small circle below your thumb. This is
>>> your
>>> "ANALOG STICK." If you keep your thumb in the center of the circle, your
>>> character won't move. Slide your thumb to the edge of the circle, and
>>> they
>>> burst into a full run. ... It's best if you
>>> train yourself to not move your thumb wildly around the screen, instead
>>> keeping it centered around where you initially touched."
>>>
>>> You need more Fred?
>>
>>No, those are enough to prove my point that the DS has analog control!
>>Thanks for finally coming around, my friend!
>
> LOL!!! Why not post the whole section like I did Fred?

Because the rest was moot. Are you that inept at critical thinking?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 8:00:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>> You'll have full analog control over your movement
>
> I should think he will as none of this backs up his argument

Um, did you even read the post, or any of the posts in this thread? Jojo
100% proved the fact that the DS has analog controls. You're just being
silly now.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:58:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c4281f$0$37090$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:5LTwe.6312$Eo.4018@fed1read04...
>
>>>> From Gamespots review:
>>>>
>>>> You'll have FULL ANALOG CONTROL over your movement, but changing
>>>> directions isn't as fluid as it should be. The control issues aren't
>>>> insurmountable, but it's a bummer that the game doesn't control as well
>>>> as
>>>> the
>>>> original.
>>>
>>>> From Gamespy:
>>>>
>>>> By touching the screen (and I recommend using the DS's included wrist
>>>> strap
>>>> thumb protector), you create a small circle below your thumb. This is
>>>> your
>>>> "ANALOG STICK." If you keep your thumb in the center of the circle, your
>>>> character won't move. Slide your thumb to the edge of the circle, and
>>>> they
>>>> burst into a full run. ... It's best if you
>>>> train yourself to not move your thumb wildly around the screen, instead
>>>> keeping it centered around where you initially touched."
>>>>
>>>> You need more Fred?
>>>
>>>No, those are enough to prove my point that the DS has analog control!
>>>Thanks for finally coming around, my friend!
>>
>> LOL!!! Why not post the whole section like I did Fred?
>
>Because the rest was moot. Are you that inept at critical thinking?
>
>
Are you that inept at reading a whole paragraph and accepting what the author
is getting at?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:58:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
news:1pWwe.6362$Eo.3655@fed1read04...

> Are you that inept at reading a whole paragraph and accepting what the
> author
> is getting at?

What difference does it make what the author was getting at, Jojo? They
already agreed with the fact that the DS has analog control. They stated
that as a FACT in all of the reviews. Their opinions of how much they like
it are moot, because they only further solidify the fact that it is there.

You're so silly. :) 
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:48:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42c45d81$0$37159$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>
>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:1pWwe.6362$Eo.3655@fed1read04...
>
>> Are you that inept at reading a whole paragraph and accepting what the
>> author
>> is getting at?
>
>What difference does it make what the author was getting at, Jojo? They
>already agreed with the fact that the DS has analog control. They stated
>that as a FACT in all of the reviews. Their opinions of how much they like
>it are moot, because they only further solidify the fact that it is there.
>
>You're so silly. :) 
>
>
Here are the facts from all three reviews....


From EGM: " Unfortunately, the Nintendo DS doesn't have an analog stick on its
system"

From Gamespot: "The original Mario 64 relied heavily on the N64's analog
joystick, so Mario 64 DS gives you a few different control options that
attempt to emulate the control in different ways"

Why would the term emulation(definition:technique of one machine obtaining the
results of a different machine)be used if it had a true analog stick?

From Gamespy: "We Miss You, Analog. My biggest complaint about Super Mario 64
DS is that the control takes a bit of getting used to. This stems from the
fact that the game was originally designed to take advantage of the N64's
analog controller. Since the DS doesn't have one, Nintendo adapted the game to
use the digital pad. I admittedly had some trouble getting used to the d-pad
at first, but after collecting a star or two, I found myself becoming more and
more comfortable with it. The other control option is to use the touch screen
as a virtual analog pad."

Why would this review call it a virtual(definition:Being in essence a
substitute)analog stick? Maybe because its not one?

Here are the buzz words and phrases to watch for Fred: Emulate, Virtual,
Substitute, "DS doesn't have one" and "We miss you, analog".

All three of these reviews(including about 40 others on Gamerankings.com)state
the simple fact that the DS does not have an analog controller on it. It uses
the touch screen to emulate/substitute as a analog controller. Another fact
that the reviewers all agree on is the fact that these "substitute/emulated"
controls are no match for the original control scheme on the N64 which did
have a built in analog controller.

Sorry to tell you this Fred but your in way over your head if you don't
understand the simple things in life.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:48:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote

>>> Are you that inept at reading a whole paragraph and accepting what the
>>> author
>>> is getting at?
>>
>>What difference does it make what the author was getting at, Jojo? They
>>already agreed with the fact that the DS has analog control. They stated
>>that as a FACT in all of the reviews. Their opinions of how much they
>>like
>>it are moot, because they only further solidify the fact that it is there.
>>
>>You're so silly. :) 
>>
>>
> Here are the facts from all three reviews....

Um, they said that the DS had "full analog control". Each of those stated
that the DS had analog control.

> From EGM: " Unfortunately, the Nintendo DS doesn't have an analog stick on
> its
> system"

Analog stick. The PSP doesn't either. Both the DS and PSP have analog
controls, and neither has an analog stick.

No one claimed the DS had an Analog Stick, btw, silly goose. Just that the
DS did indeed have analog controls.

> From Gamespot: "The original Mario 64 relied heavily on the N64's analog
> joystick, so Mario 64 DS gives you a few different control options that
> attempt to emulate the control in different ways"
>
> Why would the term emulation(definition:technique of one machine obtaining
> the
> results of a different machine)

That's not the definition of emulate.

> be used if it had a true analog stick?

They said it didn't have an analog joystick, but used the analog control it
does have to emulate a joystick. See, the DS's analog control is so much
more capable and versatile than an analog joystick that it can actually
emulate an analog joystick.

> From Gamespy: "We Miss You, Analog. My biggest complaint about Super Mario
> 64
> DS is that the control takes a bit of getting used to. This stems from the
> fact that the game was originally designed to take advantage of the N64's
> analog controller. Since the DS doesn't have one, Nintendo adapted the
> game to
> use the digital pad. I admittedly had some trouble getting used to the
> d-pad
> at first, but after collecting a star or two, I found myself becoming more
> and
> more comfortable with it. The other control option is to use the touch
> screen
> as a virtual analog pad."
>
> Why would this review call it a virtual(definition:Being in essence a
> substitute)analog stick?

They didn't, they called it a pad. And second, because it is exactly that,
a virtual analog pad, in this case. It is not a stand alone one purpose
analog pad, but yet is something robust enough to emulate the less
sophisticated analog pad.

> Maybe because its not one?

Obviously the touch screen is not an analog stick. Why, how silly you are!
:) 

> Here are the buzz words and phrases to watch for Fred: Emulate, Virtual,
> Substitute, "DS doesn't have one" and "We miss you, analog".

Besides the last phrase there, those are true. The DS doesn't have an
analog joystick. It does have analog controls, as each and everyone of your
quotes stated as fact, sorry to say, silly goose!

> All three of these reviews(including about 40 others on
> Gamerankings.com)state
> the simple fact that the DS does not have an analog controller on it.

No, not a single one of your quotes stated that the DS does not have an
analog controller on it. Each one that you quoted stated that as a fact,
that the DS has an analog controller. You'll be hard pressed to find one
that actually says the the DS does not have an analog controller due to the
simple fact that Mario DS has analog control. :) 

> It uses
> the touch screen to emulate/substitute as a analog controller.

Woa... Not emulate/substitute an analog controller, but rather an analog
joystick. You're rather confused, it seems.

> Another fact
> that the reviewers all agree on is the fact that these
> "substitute/emulated"
> controls are no match for the original control scheme on the N64 which did
> have a built in analog controller.

The N64 had an analog joystick (which really was a digital joystick, but if
you can't figure the DS deal out, that would just melt your peas). The DS
has analog controls that emulate that joystick to a 't'. You simply cannot
argue against the fact that the DS has analog controls because Mario DS
takes advantage of those analog controls and each of your reviews states
that as a fact, my silly friend.

> Sorry to tell you this Fred but your in way over your head if you don't
> understand the simple things in life.

lol! I'll worry about what you say when you're able to read your own
quotes, luv.
!